Getting Tired - Spare Me

ChrisAngela

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Prius, 2016 Winnebago Era, 2021 GT500
I went with the Automotive Authority kit. Yes it was pricey but It fits in the wheel well, fits over the Brembos, keeps the same ride height so no codes thrown and the spacers are part of the wheel so no need to mess with them. $499, free shipping no tax. At least now if I get a flat I can get home or to a shop without waiting hours for a tow. Well worth it for the peace of mind.
Ordered mine today from Automotive Authority as well, shipping directly to Granger Ford to pile up with everything else of mine headed their way;-) No way I was setting out from Iowa to Washington State across the desolate plains and mountains without it!

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....1&_sid=81012368c&_ss=r&variant=40194764243106

Image 9-11-21 at 13.26.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I went with the Automotive Authority kit. Yes it was pricey but It fits in the wheel well, fits over the Brembos, keeps the same ride height so no codes thrown and the spacers are part of the wheel so no need to mess with them. $499, free shipping no tax. At least now if I get a flat I can get home or to a shop without waiting hours for a tow. Well worth it for the peace of mind.
Good to hear of your personal experience! Thanks for sharing with us.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Is one better than the other? Modern vs AA?
I have the AA spare for the Mach 1 but I have a 2017 Buick GS that has Brembo's in the front and went with the Modernspare.com back in 2018. The AA spare has the exact bolt pattern for Ford. Modernspare uses a wheel with multiple bolt patterns so that it covers a broader application.

GotNotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Z71
I have the AA spare for the Mach 1 but I have a 2017 Buick GS that has Brembo's in the front and went with the Modernspare.com back in 2018. The AA spare has the exact bolt pattern for Ford. Modernspare uses a wheel with multiple bolt patterns so that it covers a broader application.
Thanks for that info. I think I will go with AA

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Exactly the same route I took last year. Yeah, pricey, but there's members here that suggested getting a random rim and milling it down... I mean, sure, I'm sure I could find it cheaper, but the peace of mind and GUARANTEED fitment was what I was going for.

Plus the fact it fits in the trunk is nice and doesn't stand out that much with its black rim compared to stock Bullitt wheels/rims.

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mach 1 Prem, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
And if you really want a spare, here's the link from another of our M6G friends (sorry, I don't remember who or which thread). Automotive Authority Mustang GT Spare Tire Kits
+1 for this kit! i bought a Mach 1 from Jay at Granger, and had this shipped to him. I drove the car home (700 miles) between Friday and Saturday, and when i got within 35 miles of being home, i ran over a 5/8" bolt. Tire went from clicking to 15 PSI in under 2 minutes; OEM goo kit isn't going to fix that! 15 minutes later, i'm rolling on this spare. Did i have hella torque steer, yes, but i didn't have to wait on a tow truck.

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
+1 for this kit! i bought a Mach 1 from Jay at Granger, and had this shipped to him. I drove the car home (700 miles) between Friday and Saturday, and when i got within 35 miles of being home, i ran over a 5/8" bolt. Tire went from clicking to 15 PSI in under 2 minutes; OEM goo kit isn't going to fix that! 15 minutes later, i'm rolling on this spare. Did i have hella torque steer, yes, but i didn't have to wait on a tow truck.
This has been my experience also. I've had 3 flats in the past 15 years, not one of them was serviceable by the pump/goo kit Ford uses in place of a spare tire. I have no verified statistics to support this, but it seems to me that most flats these days are catastrophic tire failures (blow outs, large punctures, etc) which makes the inflator kit basically worthless.

I can't stand the idea of waiting around for hours for roadside assistance, so I'm a big advocate of acquiring a spare no matter which route you chose to get one.

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
This has been my experience also. I've had 3 flats in the past 15 years, not one of them was serviceable by the pump/goo kit Ford uses in place of a spare tire. I have no verified statistics to support this, but it seems to me that most flats these days are catastrophic tire failures (blow outs, large punctures, etc) which makes the inflator kit basically worthless.

I can't stand the idea of waiting around for hours for roadside assistance, so I'm a big advocate of acquiring a spare no matter which route you chose to get one.
My worst flat tire experience was in 2006 in an M3. It had run flats which failed and literally blew up leaving me stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. "I will never buy a car with run flats again!"

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I bent a rim on my Harley in a pothole, and that was lesson enough that a spare is the only way to go for a car or truck.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My worst flat tire experience was in 2006 in an M3. It had run flats which failed and literally blew up leaving me stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. "I will never buy a car with run flats again!"
Run flats are such a shit idea and they make your ride quality worse.

Who would like to pay $200-$300 to be able to drive 40 miles at 40MPH? Because you have to replace the run-flat after you do that, it's a one-time use.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Run flats are such a shit idea and they make your ride quality worse.

Who would like to pay $200-$300 to be able to drive 40 miles at 40MPH? Because you have to replace the run-flat after you do that, it's a one-time use.
Not to mention the tire debris going everywhere to include smacking your car. Leaving chunks of tire to cause other flats for other people driving.
Sponsored