Sponsored

Gen 3 Coyote Engine Cover

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I know there is the cosmetic and sound dampening debates that always go on about engine covers but this one on the gen 3 is just so odd looking with it so big and flat. The engineers put a lot of thought into this car and power plant so I'm thinking there must be a reason for the design? I can see the gen 2 as being more cosmetic.

If it were sound dampening I would expect some more insulation. There are some vents built in. If it were cosmetic I don't think it would look as ugly as it does.

If I knew the function I could perhaps love the form. Perhaps it's designed to work with the heat extractors?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The original coyote engine cover was nice, this one does suck. I dont know why they made it look so bad other than the HPFP makes weird zapping noises and they wanted to mask that.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I took it off today, which is a pain with a Steeda strut bar, to do an engine bay cleaning. Anyway, I don't notice any sound differences with it still off.

With all the work they did on reducing turbulence through the grill I was wondering if it had something to do with that.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
It's just a dust, dirt cover. Shouldn't notice any sound differences

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Not for sound, but for air movement over the engine...

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Not for sound, but for air movement over the engine...
Do you have any details? That hasn't been the case with most cars.

That goes a little with one of my theories it has something to do with the drag reduction features they have made.

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I'm thinking about removing it too but don't want to lose any gain it offers as Ford wouldn't put this big ugly thing for no reason.

I noticed that there a curve that tapers downward on the leading edge of the cover, that's obviously an aero design. I'm thinking it helps make good use of the airflow to the hood heat extractors.

If anyone has dealt with Ford engineers regarding, I really appreciate the input. I'm soooo ready to take it off.
IMG_6166.JPG

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
It curves like it does to follow the contour of the hood. The only purpose it serves is to hide the manifold, harness, etc under it.

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
The Bullitt Mustangs don't even come with them. I don't think there's any issues with removing.

Sponsored

Street707

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium, PP1, 6MT
I took mine off a few weeks ago after installing a new intake. I hate the look of the thing and it weights about 3lbs.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I still think that it is designed to cut down the DI noise and direct the sound downward so the car sounds better. It is a pain to remove with those two 10mm bolts and plastic covers. I have to remove it to service my FP catch can.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As mentioned, my Bullitt doesn't have it, so it's definitely not needed for anything functional. The only question is if it helps cut down engine noise inside the cabin. And THAT I don't know. With all the nasty noises these engines make, especially the annoying 2K rattle, I'd use a dB app inside the cabin in let's say, 2nd gear and 2,500 rpm (or whichever makes the rattle louder), cover on and off, and see what the difference in dB is. Then make the decision if you want it on or off. If there's no difference, then it means it's just fully cosmetic. I assume both GTs and Bullitts have the same full hood insulation underneath, to compare apples to apples.
Sponsored