crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone here had their Coyote on an engine dyno? I'm curious because of the wheel numbers coming from many videos and users, myself included. The numbers show that either the Gen 3 Coyote is way underrated by Ford, or the new S550's just run very efficiently through their drivetrain to the wheels. One reason I ask is that in a story from Hot Rod, they engine dynoed a stock Gen 3 before testing various intake manifolds and an E85 tune and the results were as follows:
"After a break-in cycle, we went wide-open throttle with the bone-stock calibration. This resulted in 496.8 horsepower and 427.4 lb-ft of torque; that’s about 60 more horsepower than we normally see with previous generation Coyotes."

~497hp is about a 15% loss to the wheels (the general rule of thumb number) for a lot of these dyno runs. So, did Ford underrate these engines? Has anyone else done or found engine numbers on the new Coyote?
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I think most E85 tuned ones can make 445-455 whp. That would put the crank numbers @ 520-530 range. Pretty solid. Not to bring mods back into it. ;).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I too would love to see engine dyno numbers. On a real engine dyno, not a chasis dyno.

It'd be a PITA though, having to rig-up the OEM exhaust system, the OEM intake system, the OEM ECU......

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I'll take a break this afternoon and see what I can do.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I too would love to see engine dyno numbers. On a real engine dyno, not a chasis dyno.

It'd be a PITA though, having to rig-up the OEM exhaust system, the OEM intake system, the OEM ECU......
Yeah, I've only managed to find 1 result online, and that was the Hot Rod story making nearly 500 crank.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 1/4 mile trap mph a stock gen 3 is capable of should tell you something
What would you peg the average trap at? American Muscle got 121, I believe, but I've never really seen a stock car replicate that, but they did it a few times. I've seen a lot of mid-110's, like 114.

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
What would you peg the average trap at? American Muscle got 121, I believe, but I've never really seen a stock car replicate that, but they did it a few times. I've seen a lot of mid-110's, like 114.
That would be for the M6. The A10s are trapping 119+ in good air.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Let’s clarify! 18 plus cars with a10 and drag mode are the fastest ones stock. Lol...

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I think the 1/4 mile trap mph a stock gen 3 is capable of should tell you something
If you use numbers from C&D for the 18 GT 6M (~115 mph trap speed) or Motor Trend, and/or use the trap speeds of the 6M GT compared to the Camaro SS (certified 455 crank) in MT comparison tests, you get a fairly reliable estimate. Remember that these are standardized and corrected speed numbers. It works out to about 465-470 crank hp. Ford isn’t underrating, they’re reporting the lowest statistical expected values when they say 460 stock; most people’s cars will make a bit more, as seen from those calculations based on trap speed. Random dynos and people’s personal unstandardized and uncorrected trap speeds are difficult to use.

The major of the Gen 3 is its potential when tuned away from the possibility of 87 octane gas, which Ford has to take into account conservatively considering it’s a world car and uses very high compression (allowed by DI). Also, the power curve is really optimized for the 10 speed, with a sweet power plateau from 5500 to redline, meaning the engine stays near peak power all the time while dragging. That’s not the case with the rather tall-geared 6M (tall to hit fuel economy targets while delivering the power increase).

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'd be interested to see if they did the exhaust, intake, ECU, etc.
As a bit of a side note here ... I recently did a before/after test w/a Borla exhaust system (140745) on my 2019 GT. While the system comes w/the X-pipe, I did not care for the upper RPM sound so I installed the Borla resonator (60661) before taking the 2nd reading. With the OE system, the best reading was 426 HP. With the Borla + resonator, the best reading was 443 hp. The published figures are all over the place regarding the exact HP loss w/the resonator v. the X-pipe, but it's safe to say that I did sacrifice some HP by opting out of the X-pipe. In hindsight, I learned two (2) things: 1) the 2019 OE system is pretty darn good w/the major 'drawback' (in terms of HP) being the pre-muffler, not the rear mufflers & 2) if I knew then what I know now, I would have merely replaced the OE pre-muffler w/the Borla resonator (60661). :facepalm:
Sponsored