cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the process of adding a new differential. I have the front bolts in fine but the rear are giving me tons of resistance. To the point where it stops and I’m afraid it will snap the bolt. What are my options? I think both threads of the bushing are stripped. Can I get a tap to make fresh threads?

48CFF566-B85C-44EE-A2D3-E4282E365A52.jpeg
Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a little hard to see where the threads start so they may be boogered up. You can try and tap them and see what happens. Are the front diff bolts tightened? If so, loosen them up. The rear threads may not be aligned and that could be part of your problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a little hard to see where the start so they may be boogered up. You can try and tap them and see what happens. Are the front diff bolts tightened? If so, loosen them up. The rear threads may not be aligned and that could be part of your problem
I think the bushing housing was stripped from the factory. I’m going to try tapping them first. If that works great, if not, I’ll drill out the threads and use the bolt through method. This gear swap struggle is real.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Remember your cutting fluid and go slow! Lots of threading in and out to clear any chips/debris.

Snapping a tap off in there would suck...

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Remember your cutting fluid and go slow! Lots of threading in and out to clear any chips/debris.

Snapping a tap off in there would suck...
Thank you for the tips. Any cutting oil you recommend?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Tap magic is generally what is available.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
It’s a little hard to see where the start so they may be boogered up. You can try and tap them and see what happens. Are the front diff bolts tightened? If so, loosen them up. The rear threads may not be aligned and that could be part of your problem
Hello; Yes to this. most anytime there are several bolts to attach to an assembly I try to get all started just a little before I begin to tighten them down to the final torque spec. If you tighten down one or two the rest may not line up and even if you can get the rest forced in there can be odd stress in the assembly.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Tap magic is generally what is available.

Tap magic the best .....
There is a tool called a thread chaser, does not cut like a tap.

It repairs the thread, pictured is a set, the bottom, shows you can also buy single sizes.
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.57.17 PM.png

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Through bolt design will be stronger And you’re already right there too.
If I go this route, will I drop the subframe and drill from the front toward the rear of the car?

Sponsored
OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Tap magic the best .....
There is a tool called a thread chaser, does not cut like a tap.

It repairs the thread, pictured is a set, the bottom, shows you can also buy single sizes.
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.57.17 PM.png
The only problem is I need m14x2.0 that’s an odd size and I had a hard enough time finding it in a tap. Still though, I’ll look for this.

OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
cyclonetron

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Yes to this. most anytime there are several bolts to attach to an assembly I try to get all started just a little before I begin to tighten them down to the final torque spec. If you tighten down one or two the rest may not line up and even if you can get the rest forced in there can be odd stress in the assembly.
I have the driveshaft to diff bolts already torqued and the rear diff bolts right. I’ll loosen the rear diff bolts after I tap the fronts. I’m really not wanting to have to take the entire pumpkin out as I struggled with it for over an hour just to get it lined up and the rears hooked in. Doing this on jack stands. But if the tapping doesn’t work I may just have to lower the entire pumpkin. Hopefully this nightmare will end soon lol!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I have the driveshaft to diff bolts already torqued and the rear diff bolts right. I’ll loosen the rear diff bolts after I tap the fronts. I’m really not wanting to have to take the entire pumpkin out as I struggled with it for over an hour just to get it lined up and the rears hooked in. Doing this on jack stands. But if the tapping doesn’t work I may just have to lower the entire pumpkin. Hopefully this nightmare will end soon lol!
Hello; I know your pain. I have struggled for much more than an hour to get a few bolts in on some jobs. Even have had to make or modify tools in a few cases.
Good luck
Sponsored