Sponsored

FPC equating to MSRP to the GT350

Viperbluecobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base PP Recaros
still waiting on the twin turbo cobra jet set up to be in the next GT500.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Try not to overthink the costs of R&D here, it might not be as expensive as you credit it being. Remember the Voodoo is a modification of the Coyote, so the groundwork for this engine was laid down years ago.

Side note, the Trinity didn't require much R&D. It is just a re-lined Condor, which if you remember, is a 4v variant of the 5.4, and they made A LOT of those.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Remember the Voodoo is a modification of the Coyote, so the groundwork for this engine was laid down years ago.
From the Q&A with the Ford SVT engineer -
Q: How much were you able to share with the 5.0L?
A: There are little common parts (i.e. things in the valve train), but it’s pretty much an all-new engine: new heads, new casting, new intake, new crank, new pistons, new rods, new halfshafts.

Looks like a little more than a modification :)

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
From the Q&A with the Ford SVT engineer -
Q: How much were you able to share with the 5.0L?
A: There are little common parts (i.e. things in the valve train), but it’s pretty much an all-new engine: new heads, new casting, new intake, new crank, new pistons, new rods, new halfshafts.

Looks like a little more than a modification :)
Yes it is but on the scale that Ford manufactures parts, and the reliability of modern CAD design software, building prototypes is costing less and less, year by year. There may have been some technology sharing as well. I was hoping to see a dual throttle body intake like a Ferrari though but I'm not complaining I LOVE high rpm V8s.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Even with Ford's massive economies of scale, I can't see this engine being financially viable in regular mass production GTs. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Even with Ford's massive economies of scale, I can't see this engine being financially viable in regular mass production GTs. Just my opinion.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't thinking that at all. The FPC will be a $20K plus crate motor if they offer it.

Mazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dumb honda
I would love a 4.6 fpc. Low end torque doesn't bother me as long as there isn't a frs type dip. Revving out engines are the best.
i don't think the hard core v8 people would enjoy lower displacement with lower end torque than current engines

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I've seen a bunch of concerns of price increases due to the FPC motor, but could this be an early iteration of the replacement for the Coyote in lets say 4 years? Could we be seeing FPC's in future non Shelby Mustangs thus Ford has long term plans in recouping the financials spent on R&D so the GT350 may not get the burden of recouping the costs? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but putting together a development program for a low (be it annual and not a 2 or 3yr program) production Mustang seems a little far fetched with Fords direction of late (good business decisions). I'm thinking their may be wider production plans for this type of motor in future ford offerings. EB 5.2 FPC in a new FGT?:hail:
I have a feeling (50/50 my feeling of their direct and wishful thinking lol) that Ford's new matra of lightweighting, low-inertia, free revving will see the FPC brought in as the new standard when a new V8 is made. They are using the GT350 to get people more keen on lightweight and free-revving VS cubic inches. Then down the track (Gen 7 Mustang / 2025) the new V8 will be 4.2L or something and be FPC and crank out 430HP and weigh less for a car that weigh less and give equal performance and better fuel economy.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Ford said that the engine was made exclusively for the gt350 just like the 5.8 was made exclusively for the gt500 so the likelyhood of that engine being in another car is very low
Imagine if Ford said yes FPC will be on GT in the future, what would happen? Alot of people would wait, there will be less sale on GT.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Imagine if Ford said yes FPC will be on GT in the future, what would happen? Alot of people would wait, there will be less sale on GT.

If the engine had been in full production for several years in the GT350 I'm sure there will be a lot of excited Mustang fans who will be happy they can afford one in a non-special edition model.

Lexist2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX STi
I have seen trickle down technology in many products, could we see it here???? I believe MAYBE some elements of the FPC could make it's way into the next gen coyote motor......maybe materials.

The FPC will remain exclusive to the GT350 for now

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I've seen a bunch of concerns of price increases due to the FPC motor, but could this be an early iteration of the replacement for the Coyote in lets say 4 years? Could we be seeing FPC's in future non Shelby Mustangs thus Ford has long term plans in recouping the financials spent on R&D so the GT350 may not get the burden of recouping the costs? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but putting together a development program for a low (be it annual and not a 2 or 3yr program) production Mustang seems a little far fetched with Fords direction of late (good business decisions). I'm thinking their may be wider production plans for this type of motor in future ford offerings. EB 5.2 FPC in a new FGT?:hail:
We might not get the FPC 5.2 but a CPC 5.2 could happen.
Sponsored