Sponsored

FPC equating to MSRP to the GT350

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
I've seen a bunch of concerns of price increases due to the FPC motor, but could this be an early iteration of the replacement for the Coyote in lets say 4 years? Could we be seeing FPC's in future non Shelby Mustangs thus Ford has long term plans in recouping the financials spent on R&D so the GT350 may not get the burden of recouping the costs? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but putting together a development program for a low (be it annual and not a 2 or 3yr program) production Mustang seems a little far fetched with Fords direction of late (good business decisions). I'm thinking their may be wider production plans for this type of motor in future ford offerings. EB 5.2 FPC in a new FGT?:hail:
Sponsored

Mazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dumb honda
Ford said that the engine was made exclusively for the gt350 just like the 5.8 was made exclusively for the gt500 so the likelyhood of that engine being in another car is very low

OP
OP

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
Ford said that the engine was made exclusively for the gt350 just like the 5.8 was made exclusively for the gt500 so the likelyhood of that engine being in another car is very low
Yes they did, but that doesn't mean their not using the FPC in the GT350 as a test bed for other variations of this motor. I also believe they were talking about today vs 3-4yrs in the future. Today it's exclusive, but if it's a success why not use that technology developed and expertise learned in future programs, especially on performance orientated products excluding trucks. The Coyote I would bet has about 4-5 years left in it's lifespan. Gotta wonder what Fords planning for it's replacement.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Flat plane crank won't end up in the regular gt. At least not for a long time. I'd like to wait to see the dyno sheet on this FPC motor but from my understanding the FPC will lack a lot of low end torque other engines enjoy. More low end torque makes for a better driving experience around town. Better driving experience on test drives means more cars sold.

Just my theory. But as far as svt motors go, they pretty much never end up in other cars. This one may have a tweaked version in another svt, but not a gt.

BlackDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Trinity motor was old tech which is why it went by the wayside after it accomplished its mission. It was even a step backwards from the coyote. Voodoo motor is new tech for ford, and "may" be a direction worth pursuing...

So the OP may not be far off...

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Can you imagine a GT500 with a dual-turbo Voodoo?

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
If FPC ever in a GT it probably would be smaller displacement maybe 4.6 fpc

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Can you imagine a GT500 with a dual-turbo Voodoo?
I would very much like to imagine it, parked right next to my Kenne Bell Supercharged 2012 :)

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
I would love a 4.6 fpc. Low end torque doesn't bother me as long as there isn't a frs type dip. Revving out engines are the best.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
No, GT will not get FPC in the future.

It's all about picking the correct tool for the job.

XPC idles and cruises smoother. Most GT's are daily drivers. Most GT350 will be collector's cars, weekend track cars and people who like the high performance nature.

European & traditional race FPC have low torque because they have short strokes. The physical geometry has less leverage and therefore less torque. It's not that FPC produce less torque but that most are short stroke. This 5.2L has the same stroke at 5.0 coyote. There will be no issue with torque.

FPC does have a torque-like related disadvantage (it's an advantage for road racing). Relatively low inertia FPC (XPC require heavy counter weights to rotationally balance the engine) revs up & down quicker. This is good for road racing acceleration and deceleration. It's also puts less strain on clutch & transmission synchros when slamming into gear & down shifting. But the disadvantage, like having a superlight racing flywheel, it can be easier to stall the engine while daily driving (with drive-by-wire & clever ECUs this can be eliminated). And low inertia also gives the impression of low torque when dumping clutch for drag-style launch. The engine is not producing less torque but less energy is stored in lighter crankshaft (which is acting like a flywheel at the moment of clutch engagement).

Sponsored

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Flat plane crank won't end up in the regular gt. At least not for a long time. I'd like to wait to see the dyno sheet on this FPC motor but from my understanding the FPC will lack a lot of low end torque other engines enjoy. More low end torque makes for a better driving experience around town. Better driving experience on test drives means more cars sold.

Just my theory. But as far as svt motors go, they pretty much never end up in other cars. This one may have a tweaked version in another svt, but not a gt.
The extra displacement is all bore (YAY!, and good for torque), and it should have the same compression ratio. Any changes in low range should be from a different cam design, and VVT should handle a good portion of that.

scarface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your mom
I read in Autoweek and other publishers that the FCP will indeed make it into other models. The biggest reason why you see Ferrari and McLaren do FCP and others don't is cost, its just too expansive, and for Ford to recoup its R&D. Why put all that money, engineering, and expertise into an engine design and only used it for one model? It won't be the exact FCP from the GT350, but expect it to see it in different variations.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I could see a variant in a Ford GT, rumored to return to race at LeMans in 2016. That is where I could see costs being amortized.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I could see a variant in a Ford GT, rumored to return to race at LeMans in 2016. That is where I could see costs being amortized.
I agree. I do think an FI version could go in a GT500 as well, although a S/C or TT Coyote might work perfectly in that application, so I could see it going either way.

I doubt it would ever go in a "regular" GT.

-T

kesbar

Scandinavian Flick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Impreza RSTi
A Grand Touring V8 and a Racing V8 have different priorities for the areas of compromise.

That doesn't mean that some things learned developing Voodoo will not or have not already made it into the Coyote.
Sponsored