Ford Racing ProCal Tune

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Its a giant plastic shield with a replaceable filter. At the very least upgrade that to a green/k&n filter. Install the mishimoto intake and take the lid off and tell me the sound is no different lol. Its way louder and u can hear the BPV way more.
Not sure what you are talking about, the Misimoto CAI is a shield that replaces the air box and the Ford Performance kit uses the factory GT350 CAI bucket with the snorkel that attaches to the same opening in the core support as the stock air box. The filter is a huge synthetic fiber cone filter.

I had a JLT CAI on my 15 which was a similar bucket as the FP unit but was much more crudely made and did not support the filter as well as the FP unit, the filter is also a huge cone filter but was oiled gauze.

There is no difference in the sound of the intake between the two.
Sponsored

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
Here's my situation: Brand new long block & turbo. Tech test drove with stock air box and verified everything was good to go. He then installed the Ford Performance tune and did not test drive. I picked up the car, drove it 2-3 miles and it started shuddering, lost power and the engine light came on. Pulled over and let it idle and it went away so I drove back to the dealer. Tech pulled code and said it was misfiring on 1 & 4. After test driving he said it seemed fine now and probably just the tune settling in.

Drove home (30 mi) and had no more issues. this morning started and had engine light but idled fine. Pulled code and it's more misfires. Cruising 7-8 miles on freeway and it starts misfiring again, pull over it goes away drove the rest of the way no issues. Same again after work, starts misfiring after 8-10 miles while cruising 70mph, but goes away as soon as I pull over then fine for next 20+ miles

Read some say the tune may cause this and needs to relearn engine timing. Can I plug in and reflash myself or adjust something? Where does Ford save the stock tune? On the OBD device or the laptop (dealer) that was used to tune the vehicle? I really don't want to blow another one...

Berstuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP M/T Competition Orange
Here's my situation: Brand new long block & turbo. Tech test drove with stock air box and verified everything was good to go. He then installed the Ford Performance tune and did not test drive. I picked up the car, drove it 2-3 miles and it started shuddering, lost power and the engine light came on. Pulled over and let it idle and it went away so I drove back to the dealer. Tech pulled code and said it was misfiring on 1 & 4. After test driving he said it seemed fine now and probably just the tune settling in.

Drove home (30 mi) and had no more issues. this morning started and had engine light but idled fine. Pulled code and it's more misfires. Cruising 7-8 miles on freeway and it starts misfiring again, pull over it goes away drove the rest of the way no issues. Same again after work, starts misfiring after 8-10 miles while cruising 70mph, but goes away as soon as I pull over then fine for next 20+ miles

Read some say the tune may cause this and needs to relearn engine timing. Can I plug in and reflash myself or adjust something? Where does Ford save the stock tune? On the OBD device or the laptop (dealer) that was used to tune the vehicle? I really don't want to blow another one...
You need to download the procal software on your laptop, and get the tune file from your dealer.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium

What kind of fuel is in the tank? Should be 91+ octane. If you believe the tune was improperly installed I would take it back to the shop and have them confirm. You can expedite the ECU learning process, but I wouldn't do that until you confirm all engine components and the tune are properly installed. The engine behavior you are describing is not typical for most people who install a new tune. It sounds like you already had to get one new engine; you don't want a repeat experience. Take the car in and have the experts confirm the engine is properly installed so if it blows up they can't blame you.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

Ive also heard of ford messing up motor installs leading to more misfires, take it back and let them handle it, tell them to actually drive the damn car. It looks bad if theyre telling u they are test driving it and its good to go then u drive for 2 miles and have a misfire....

Sponsored

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive also heard of ford messing up motor installs leading to more misfires, take it back and let them handle it, tell them to actually drive the damn car. It looks bad if theyre telling u they are test driving it and its good to go then u drive for 2 miles and have a misfire....
Dropped it off this morning and was surprised they actually gave me a loaner (Fusion). I asked them to give me the FP tune file on a USB stick that I provided. I loaded the FP software on a laptop I have, but it wouldn't download the tune file. Finger crossed....

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
Dropped it off this morning and was surprised they actually gave me a loaner (Fusion). I asked them to give me the FP tune file on a USB stick that I provided. I loaded the FP software on a laptop I have, but it wouldn't download the tune file. Finger crossed....
It won't download the file unless connected to the vehicle

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What kind of fuel is in the tank? Should be 91+ octane. If you believe the tune was improperly installed I would take it back to the shop and have them confirm. You can expedite the ECU learning process, but I wouldn't do that until you confirm all engine components and the tune are properly installed. The engine behavior you are describing is not typical for most people who install a new tune. It sounds like you already had to get one new engine; you don't want a repeat experience. Take the car in and have the experts confirm the engine is properly installed so if it blows up they can't blame you.
Fuel is 91oct and is the only grade I have ever run in it. Dealer spoke to Ford Techline and they suggested taking the tune off and verifying no misfires which we did. They drove it 20 miles and I drove it to/from home last night and this morning so another 50+ miles. No misfires or CEL's, so it's back at the dealer this morning so they can reapply the tune and troubleshoot. <sigh> What a PITA and I still need to get the Garrett intercooler installed this weekend.

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It won't download the file unless connected to the vehicle
I had it connected to the vehicle and the gauges were registering voltage and the laptop was connected to WiFi. Not sure if the fact that the dealer already downloaded with my ID has something to do with it but I asked them to give me a copy. Does anyone know if it downloads the stock tune to the laptop before flashing the ProCal and stores it somewhere?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Fuel is 91oct and is the only grade I have ever run in it. Dealer spoke to Ford Techline and they suggested taking the tune off and verifying no misfires which we did. They drove it 20 miles and I drove it to/from home last night and this morning so another 50+ miles. No misfires or CEL's, so it's back at the dealer this morning so they can reapply the tune and troubleshoot. <sigh> What a PITA and I still need to get the Garrett intercooler installed this weekend.
I agree it's a PITA, but you're doing the right thing.

Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I had it connected to the vehicle and the gauges were registering voltage and the laptop was connected to WiFi. Not sure if the fact that the dealer already downloaded with my ID has something to do with it but I asked them to give me a copy. Does anyone know if it downloads the stock tune to the laptop before flashing the ProCal and stores it somewhere?
I would verify that the spark plugs and gaps are correct. Improperly gapped plugs can cause the misfires you mention, especially when the tune is commanding more boost.

Also, try another gas station. It is possible that you've gotten off-spec fuel.

Last edited:

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Would like to take a second to complain a little about the lack of transparency on fords part (and the procal software) as it relates to updates for this tune....very frustrating to have this thread as the ONLY source of information on the entire damn internet to find out when an update has been released for the ford tune...

Most recently I noticed (in this thread) that the procal software has been updated and now includes some datalog functionality. Kinda a big deal IMO. So I drug the laptop out and downloaded the new version (3.06 as of 4/8/18) to take a look. As another poster mentioned there are 2 additional tabs for record and analyse. Under the record tab you have the ability to select a number of data points to chart....

The instructions have not been updated with the software to explain how any of this works. A few minutes of fumbling around with it and I was able to get some data up to look at. Great. Well. Quite frankly without a way of knowing what EXACTLY the description is for the data I am viewing it seems to lose a bit of usefulness.

Certain ones seem straightforward enough, but others not so much. So are the values I am looking at here generic ford PID's? or are they something specific to procal? One example off the top of my head is "FPUMP DC" ... best guess would be the voltage to the low pressure fuel pump.... but the data it gave me was certainly not a dc voltage...reported as a constant 29.x over a period of 30 seconds.

Does anyone know of a reliable list of what exactly all the available data points actually monitor? Kinda pissing in the wind without that information. Sure would be nice to have an updated manual for this software...

While I am complaining, i'll add this ~ anyway to find out exactly what the KOEO and KOER tests are checking? Global OBD II tests or they ford specific? And where can I find a procedure what all it checks?

The KOER test does a fantastic job of activating whatever solenoid is responsible for the popping noise you can hear in the intake tract now with the tune / cai. (bpv, throttle plate, pcv whatever the hell is making that noise) Also it tells me that my clutch pedal sensor and parking brake sensor are not detected (or out of range I forget exactly what error it gives) ...

Also the tab that allows you to adjust your gear ratio / turn on the octane learning etc (configuration I think?) displays my correct gear and tire size but the text box in the middle of the screen just sits the with a "Verifying..." no matter how long I leave it there. Once again some type of information as to exactly what I should be expecting to see sure would go a long way.

On another note ~ the lack of a changelog of any type from the first tune I downloaded when the kit was released (GR3A-SEMM2M-CFA) to what I assume is the only revision (GR3A-SEMM2M-CFB) is annoying. Only information I can find is once again in this thread from TheLion stating that his CJA to CJB revision corrects a "glitch" at high rpm....

And can we get a breakdown of what the tune revision numeration stands for? Looks alot like a ford part number to me... why are the last 3 digits on my tune different than other peoples? I assume it would be specific to my car setup (standard vs auto trans, or PP vs non pp) but it sure would be nice to friggin know!

Welp, done whining on the internet for now. I have never actually called and spoken to ford performance about any of this. I am now irritated to attempt to. I hope they can be of assistance.

BCB06GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
I don't have a S550 (S197),but I would guess that what you are reading is Duty Cycle of the pump. For the S197, the other data point was FP CMD V (fuel pump commanded voltage) and FP ACT V (fuel pump actual voltage). The FPDM sets PWM to the pump based on the PCM commanded voltage. Duty Cycle is a % of how maxed the pump is running. For the S197 PCM, there is a pump voltage table I believe for tuning that is comprised of fuel flow vs rail pressure where the table is the voltage needed at the pump.

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Duty cycle would make more sense given the data that I looked at, but still, it sure would be nice to know for sure!

I spent today beating on my car and trying out the logging feature. Didn't learn a whole lot from it save for WOT really only means 85% throttle... but I dont guess this is exactly new info.

Confused about the units that it displays boost in. Says it is PSI but it it clearly is not. At idle it shows the boost value around 98 ~ 100. Max boost was around 240....need to find out how to convert that. Hopefully ford performance can help me out tomorrow. *edit after looking at it a bit longer I am assuming 100 = 0 bar/atmospheric pressure. So 240 = 24 psi *

*edit x2 and if that is true some of my other logs from today show a max boost value of 260. So 26 PSI? Weather today was around 65 degrees and dry.... I guess thats about what my factory gauge reads... hard to tell. *
procal forum post.jpg

Last edited:

Phatmuffinman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Ecoboost
Howdy -

I just had the FPT stage 1 installed last Friday from a Ford performance dealership. They did not tell me anything about the ProCal software or how to obtain it. I mean for all I know they could be lying about the tune as the car seems sluggish TBH.

I also had a MBRP exhaust installed at the same time, so I do not know if this may be a learning for ECU as well.

Does anyone know how I obtain the ProCal software? I see the tech registered an account for me on FP website but I see no way of downloading software or any thing related to the tune.
Sponsored