Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

svoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
The intercooler will act the same way yes. The car will not. The bigger intercooler will cause a pressure drop if the car has not been tuned for it, I lost about 2psi when I installed mine.
Which means the intercooler is doing its job. The same volume at cooler temp is going to have less pressure. I read on a site sometime ago, that porting heads was not recommended on a turbo'd engine since it causes a loss of boost. Simple terms is boost is what is not making into the cylinder.
Sponsored

Last edited:

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Which means the intercooler is doing its job. The same volume at cooler temp is going to have less pressure. I read on a site sometime ago, that porting heads was not recommended on a turbo'd engine since it causes a loss of boost. Simple terms is boost is what is not making into the cylinder.
I would love to read that article because their theory to me sounds wrong. Feel free to pm me a link to it.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I would love to read that article because their theory to me sounds wrong. Feel free to pm me a link to it.
You're correct. While you can't say decreasing boost will increase power, you could actually decrease boost pressure by porting heads, increasing flow and creating more power. Any time you can increase the air + fuel mixture you increase power. So you have to look at it all together, not just a boost number.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
You're correct. While you can't say decreasing boost will increase power, you could actually decrease boost pressure by porting heads, increasing flow and creating more power. Any time you can increase the air + fuel mixture you increase power. So you have to look at it all together, not just a boost number.
I did that very thing with my '93 Super Coupe. I ported the heads, ported the living crap out of the exhaust manifolds, and even after adding a 5% jackshaft pulley I was still down almost 2 lbs of boost over stock. But, even though I never dynoed the car or ran it on the track, the seat of pants acceleration was improved a lot. Even though boost was lower, airflow was increased allowing it to make more power.
Probably a good thing I never did dyno it, the AF ratio probably would have scared the crap out of me. LOL

BTBAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350 Oxford White/Blue Stripes
Ok, 68 pages done, I'm caught up.

Proud owner of my first Mustang and I just ordered this pack. I came from a 2015 GTI, tuned, and the Mustang lacked the "Holy shit this is quick". I think it feels great, just sort of like it's thirsty, sounds like the FP will be the gatorade. Next upgrade will be the FMIC. My original dealer advised me I'll "Completely void my entire warranty" if I change the intercooler and I laughed at him.

So it seems like you can just do the tune and leave the stock airbox on there? The CAI that comes with this looks like a damn drain you'd see on a house.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Just chatted with FP. I was told u cannot swap out the CAI with another one and retain the warranty for the tune as it would no longer be their part. Looks like there is conflicting information going around...

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Just chatted with FP. I was told u cannot swap out the CAI with another one and retain the warranty for the tune as it would no longer be their part. Looks like there is conflicting information going around...
OK well I have an email from the stating just the opposite. The email is definitely all the legal proof I need but wouldn't help anyone else. That's why I said it would be best to reach out to them on your own and in writing. The fact that I have something in writing from them is binding. If it was just a phone call, I couldn't just say well they said so...

Rcmchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 16 PP
Yeah I got the same response from FP as well, just gonna use their kit since it sounds like a royal pita to lawyer up against their massive corporation if they did try to deny warranty.

klataxes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
What spark plugs should we be running with the Ford ProCal tune? Still running stock, but looking to replace them real soon.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Thanks for the update... good info.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Interpret this:

From me:
Since the Ecoboost uses a MAP sensor rather than a MAF, would it be ok to put the stock airbox or an aftermarket like the AirAid intake in in place of the modified GT350 intake that came with the kit? For cars that use a MAP to measure available air for mixture, the intake doesn't impact the tune. I want to make sure if I change the intake, it will still be covered under warranty.

Response from FP:
Sorry for delay, yes, engineer stated it is perfectly ok to change out the air intake.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
This is FP covering their butts. As stated above, the car utilizes speed density instead of a MAF setup. Using another high-flowing intake shouldn't present any problems.

What spark plugs should we be running with the Ford ProCal tune? Still running stock, but looking to replace them real soon.
Ford sells colder plugs on their website. They're Denso ITV24 plugs (two ranges colder). I'm not completely sure why they recommend two ranges colder, as one range colder seems to be about right for a mildly modded stock turbo car, but nevertheless, that's what they sell for use with tuned 2.0EB and 2.3EB cars.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Right now getting 25.5 mpg. Maybe I will install the air box they gave me soon.

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Swapping intakes on these cars is pointless anyways. The stock one is the best for power.
Sponsored