Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
^^ are you thinking about the powertrain?
of course, you have a 5/60 power train that includes the motor, now it clearly states it doesn't void your limited warranty if installed by a dealer or ASE mechanic so you do the math.
Sponsored

firedaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I do have a friend that is a diesel mechanic...

I never saw anything to sign or fill out though stating who installed it. It was very easy to do. I'm not to worried about trashing a engine. I've tuned my last 3 mustangs, 3 trucks and a 6.0 diesel. Never had a issue. I also don't beat on it hard.

As for the tune it pulls like a scalded ape above 5k. It will shift at redline too in sport mode. It used to run out of steam in the high RPM but it's amazing the power difference. Seems to keep pulling. Torque is down low it pulls harder off the line. Turbo sounds awesome through the new intake. I am going to change the stock tube out. The Oem looks like crap to me. Probably put a airaid on it. As for the tune This is how ford should have tuned it. Mpg are up slightly too. About 1.5 mpg better.

All in all happy camper. If my friend will call me back. Lol.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
of course, you have a 5/60 power train that includes the motor, now it clearly states it doesn't void your limited warranty if installed by a dealer or ASE mechanic so you do the math.
I realize that you keep preaching that, but the rep on FP specifically told me that the 3/36 bumper to bumper is unchanged and the PT is dropped to 3/36 for anything affected by the tune- which would obviously include the engine, trans, diff, etc. I just have to go with what the Ford rep says... I asked if my 100K extended PT warranty was still good or added anything to the 3/36 and he said no. He might be wrong, but I would not roll the dice on that without something in writing from Ford.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I beg to differ, you would absolutely want to get it registered, the last thing you want a blown motor at 50k and having Ford wanting to deny your claim simply because you didn't get the tune installed by the dealer or ASE mechanic.
A blown motor at 50k wouldn't be covered anyway. This doesn't change your original warranty at all, there is no voiding or anything else. Ford will not cover
a problem if it is determined the upgrade could have been the cause of the problem. In that case, the Ford Performance warranty covers the repair. Everything else is covered by your original warranty from Ford. The Ford Performance warranty only covers 3 year 36,000 miles. That is from the date you purchased the car, not the date the upgrade was installed. If you install this upgrade at 37,000, you have no warranty to start with or if you installed it 37 months after you bought the car. That's what Speedfrk was talking about, if you're close to that 3/36 point, it isn't worth paying that much to get it installed. The install would be very easy.

Think of the warranty from Ford Performance as a supplemental warranty. The part of the warranty that Ford will no longer cover (related to the drivetrain) would be covered by Ford Performance but only up to 3 years from purchase of the vehicle or 36,000 miles on odometer.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
A couple questions for those who have it.

1. How is it pulling in lower RPM range? I see a lot of talk that it puts harder in the upper range, but what a bout lower range?
2. Any issue with the CAI quality or fitment? There was comments from an early buyer of the stand along CAI that some cutting had to be done and it did not fit right and generally did not seem to really fit the car. Any issues with this?

Thanks.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
If I were to do this, I wouldn't install the new CAI, I'd lust upgrade the drop in filter and install the tune and call it a day.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were to do this, I wouldn't install the new CAI, I'd lust upgrade the drop in filter and install the tune and call it a day.
I have thought of that, but I assume there is a reason they are only releasing both together.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Yeah honestly there are three threads on this with people like me desperately checking every update seeking a real lengthy review on the tune, and some of you continue to cover warranty questions covered on previous pages. get it together, and for the love of god someone pls do a write up.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I have thought of that, but I assume there is a reason they are only releasing both together.
No reason other than $$$$. The EB uses MAP rather than MAF for air metering so the tune isn't dependent on the intake. Plus I've read where Adam from Tune+ and others have said they actually got better performance from the stock airbox than after-market intakes.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150
No reason other than $$$$. The EB uses MAP rather than MAF for air metering so the tune isn't dependent on the intake. Plus I've read where Adam from Tune+ and others have said they actually got better performance from the stock airbox than after-market intakes.
Right- the Intake probably costs Ford maybe 50.00 to make and they sell them for 300+. I think it is also mostly cosmetic. Guys that do tunes and mods like the look of a CAI but as long as the stock airbox can flow what the engine needs at redline, it will work fine. Although, I would probably drill the grill to open up the intake a bit.

I'm also interested in how the car feels at low and mid-range rpm since that is where I drive 99% of the time. The beauty of a custom tune is that they can give you the torque wherever you want it. The beauty of the Ford tune is that it is plug and play and is extensively tested in all conditions.

Sponsored

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No reason other than $$$$.
I thought of that, but wouldn't they potentially make more dollars selling just a tune for like 1/2 the price as more people might be interested.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Right- the Intake probably costs Ford maybe 50.00 to make and they sell them for 300+. I think it is also mostly cosmetic. Guys that do tunes and mods like the look of a CAI but as long as the stock airbox can flow what the engine needs at redline, it will work fine. Although, I would probably drill the grill to open up the intake a bit.

I'm also interested in how the car feels at low and mid-range rpm since that is where I drive 99% of the time. The beauty of a custom tune is that they can give you the torque wherever you want it. The beauty of the Ford tune is that it is plug and play and is extensively tested in all conditions.
Its even cheaper for them to make since they give us the GT350 airbox/filter, which is why we have to cut one of the rubber seals to make it fit near the front bumper. They couldnt even spluge the extra R&D to make one that fits the ecoboost properly.
As for the tune, I dont have any numbers as I havent had a chance to do any timed pulls, but it feels way better and much more smooth acceleration in D and S/S+ mode. In D mode, downshifting feels much smoother/safer It also pulls decently harder throughout the curve. In S mode, the car shifts a lot harder. If u dont have sticky tires, good luck hooking up off the line. My P-zeros are in the yellow, and I cant hook up at all LOL without babying the throttle until i can keep traction. If you have low miles and are into the whole warranty thing (like me), then I think its a good buy. If not, then I would go with a protune (Tune+, etc) since they can tune to whatever mods you have/may want in the future.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
A blown motor at 50k wouldn't be covered anyway. This doesn't change your original warranty at all, there is no voiding or anything else. Ford will not cover
a problem if it is determined the upgrade could have been the cause of the problem. In that case, the Ford Performance warranty covers the repair. Everything else is covered by your original warranty from Ford. The Ford Performance warranty only covers 3 year 36,000 miles. That is from the date you purchased the car, not the date the upgrade was installed. If you install this upgrade at 37,000, you have no warranty to start with or if you installed it 37 months after you bought the car. That's what Speedfrk was talking about, if you're close to that 3/36 point, it isn't worth paying that much to get it installed. The install would be very easy.

Think of the warranty from Ford Performance as a supplemental warranty. The part of the warranty that Ford will no longer cover (related to the drivetrain) would be covered by Ford Performance but only up to 3 years from purchase of the vehicle or 36,000 miles on odometer.
You just answered what I have been simply saying with more emphasis, although your contradicting yourself with the first sentence, 50k would be covered by your limited warranty, you have a very healthy chance they will simply honor the warranty if you went through the proper channels on getting this tune installed hence why you would pay to have it installed, not because it's difficult or because you need FR 3/36 warranty but because you followed proper procedure in writing.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
You just answered what I have been simply saying with more emphasis, although your contradicting yourself with the first sentence, 50k would be covered by your limited warranty, you have a very healthy chance they will simply honor the warranty if you went through the proper channels on getting this tune installed hence why you would pay to have it installed, not because it's difficult or because you need FR 3/36 warranty but because you followed proper procedure in writing.
Oh I thought the factory warranty was only 3/36 for the drive train. You're saying the motor is covered for longer than that? How long is the factory warranty? I bought an extended so I don't even know what the factory warranty was.

But either way, if you do this upgrade, it won't be covered at 50k. If you do it the right way, Ford Performance will cover it until 3/36 but Ford will not cover it at all once you've done the upgrade. (keeping Ford and Ford Performance separate)

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Ecoboost
We are about to order this from Tasca with an eta of the 30th for shipment being released. We will then have the local dealership install (quoted $150) and I will do my best to give some data.

Trying to hit the 1/4 mile this Friday for some baseline runs and then will go back after the tune to see how it improved.

The woman's car is a 2016 automatic ecoboost base. Bone stock with 4,800 miles. Just had its first oil change and we will be using 93 octane for the stock and tuned 1/4 mile passes.

I'm hoping for a 13.90 stock and a 13.25 after the tune. I'm thinking she is going to be traction limited after the tune. I've read that a 16" wheel will not fit over the rear brakes. Is this correct? I'd throw on my 16x10 ccws for a few passes if they would fit. Also a 28" tire so I'm not sure how badly that would affect gearing.
Sponsored

Last edited: