OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I tend to agree with you, While mine is a Daily driver, I have a few vehicles for backup if needs be. I run straight pump 93 (98 ron Here in Germany) 99% of the time as Ethanol is much harder to come by then in the US.

The only thing I disagree with you on is stepping up to a GT engine, If your goal is over 600+ WHP, then Yes GT is the way to go, Having a 600 WHP car is fun, no doubt, I've been there, but what I do want is a comfortable daily driver, that I can rip into when the opportunity arises. I am looking for 550 reliable whp and 30+mpg when I'm not booting it. My VS2+ just arrived today so I am just aux fuel and Built engine away from, I am still under $29K right now. When I bought my EB back in 2015, The Cheapest GT I could get was $34K and that was the MAS no haggle price.

Once all is said and done I will be in the car for around ~$35k Even less if I decide to just order the pistons and rods and have my local shop build my engine. Once you get rid of the rods, this motor is very stout and I will have my 550 whp 30+MPG daily driver that I am only paying EBM insurance premiums for.

I don't really like NA engines or big V8s or any V engines, I think superchargers are a compromise, especially in efficiency. I respect the shit out of them, no doubt but all my cars were japaneese Turbo I4s and I6s with a few German and Japanese NA I6s in the mix and I can tell you that it is unlikely I will ever own a V8, it's not in my DNA.
Fair enough Glenn. There are two advantages of a built I4 over a NA V8. On 93 pump gas a built I4 can put down the same power and torque, but over more area. It's also 175lbs lighter. So on the track a built 400 whp I4 will smoke a NA V8 because the power band is much broader and car is nearly 200 lbs lighter.

On a drag strip the I4 would still edge out he V8 again because of the broad power band (area under the curve). But if you want really big power, FI V8's are the way to go.

I suppose doing a built big turbo I4 still has merits, but only up to a certain power level. For me, once you need to run more than 91 to make the power I see the need to step up to a V8 as I like to be able to drive all my cars on the street as well as at the strip / track / auto cross (even if I have secondary cars).
Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
If your calibration is freshly flashed and you haven't driven about 200 miles your no where near full power...you might actually be making less than the stock tune after it learns the octane.

The octane learn function takes time, but to speed up the process do a bunch of 4th gear pulls from 50 to 75 mph at about 50% throttle.

I had the FP tune since spring and I could instantly feel the difference. I just wanted to see how it felt with the Cp-e intercooler. I have not gone above 4.5 RPM, but it already feels punchier.

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Fair enough Glenn. There are two advantages of a built I4 over a NA V8. On 93 pump gas a built I4 can put down the same power and torque, but over more area. It's also 175lbs lighter. So on the track a built 400 whp I4 will smoke a NA V8 because the power band is much broader and car is nearly 200 lbs lighter.

On a drag strip the I4 would still edge out he V8 again because of the broad power band (area under the curve). But if you want really big power, FI V8's are the way to go.

I suppose doing a built big turbo I4 still has merits, but only up to a certain power level. For me, once you need to run more than 91 to make the power I see the need to step up to a V8 as I like to be able to drive all my cars on the street as well as at the strip / track / auto cross (even if I have secondary cars).
You don't have 93 or Ethanol in your area?

Germany is great as it's rare to find a station that doesn't have 93 and the fuel quality standards are much tougher than the states, on the other hand, the last time I went home to Florida, they had 93 and Ethanol just about everywhere, I was extremely jealous, they even had pumps that let you chose your ethanol content between E30 - E85.

Right now I order 100% Ethanol online in 30 liter batches which is good for 2 tanks full of E30, I create a tank of E30 every other month or so to have a play on the Autobahn.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
You don't have 93 or Ethanol in your area?

Germany is great as it's rare to find a station that doesn't have 93 and the fuel quality standards are much tougher than the states, on the other hand, the last time I went home to Florida, they had 93 and Ethanol just about everywhere, I was extremely jealous, they even had pumps that let you chose your ethanol content between E30 - E85.

Right now I order 100% Ethanol online in 30 liter batches which is good for 2 tanks full of E30, I create a tank of E30 every other month or so to have a play on the Autobahn.
It highly depends on the area. Like cali has like ZERO 93. Many states have no ethanol. Or terrible ethanol.

In iowa even walmart sells 93, and ethanol is EVERYWHERE

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Out of curiosity, I asked FP to see if they are or will plan for a performance pack 2 for the ecoboost. My hunch is no, but always worth a shot. They will get back to me if they ever get a direct answer from above. It would only make sense to me if they can do it with a GT, why not the 4 banger with bundled intercooler?

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It's clear that they are not interested in the EB at all, there is too much in between like mentioned you got the Focus on one side and the GT on the other, you can't dramatically improve it without stepping on either toes. If anything from 2018+ and forward no one should be buying the EB version since they are clearly not interested in making it better, let them keep it. 2018 GT devalues the previous models big time as they made big significant changes, the GT is the only option going forward now the only thing that makes sense to buy or upgrade from if 2018+ Mustang is on your list.
I think you are way off base saying Ford doesn't care about the Ecoboost. If they didn't they would not have up'd the power, added the torsen diff to the Performance Package, offered the 10spd auto, magnetic ride or the digital dash plus you can still get a Pony Package on the Ecoboost you can't on the GT.

The Ecoboost is not supposed to compete with the GT from a performance standpoint but it has been improved enough to keep it ahead of it's competing, the Challenger and Camaro v6s.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I think you are way off base saying Ford doesn't care about the Ecoboost. If they didn't they would not have up'd the power, added the torsen diff to the Performance Package, offered the 10spd auto, magnetic ride or the digital dash plus you can still get a Pony Package on the Ecoboost you can't on the GT.

The Ecoboost is not supposed to compete with the GT from a performance standpoint but it has been improved enough to keep it ahead of it's competing, the Challenger and Camaro v6s.
Definitely agreed. I don't see how you can say that Ford doesn't care about the EB. Take a look at what happened to the 3.7 the last few years. THAT'S what not caring about a line looks like. No options etc.

I think there's a few things they could do such as improved intercooler, and less fuel dump at top end to help overall, but to be honest there's not a whole lot of leeway for them with the EB and keeping the trims entirely different performance wise. We've all seen just how well the EB takes to mods. So bumping the power (even more) would be less than ideal for their situation. Weight loss is in the same boat. Creating too little of a gap can be a bad thing, pushing sales one way or another. When we were looking for a new one in April, we honestly couldn't decide between the 3.7 or the 2.3 because the numbers were so damn close. We actually got to the point where we were just going to go with a V6 camaro at one point because we couldn't choose. But the price tag on the EBPP is what got us(24k), where the V6 had no PP. Indecision can lead to bad results.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Out of curiosity, I asked FP to see if they are or will plan for a performance pack 2 for the ecoboost. My hunch is no, but always worth a shot. They will get back to me if they ever get a direct answer from above. It would only make sense to me if they can do it with a GT, why not the 4 banger with bundled intercooler?
Not going to happen, The EBM is still selling like hotcakes to the average buyer who wants to get into the Mustang without the Fuel, maintenance, insurance costs.

it doesn't matter that it still will not be faster than the GT, it will be closer and would give performance oriented buyers a reason not to pay the $7k cost of entry into the GT.

Just look at all of the packages now, they all bundle one really cool thing with a bunch of useless expensive Faff

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Ford performance does not care how well the EB sells. They are two different money making machines.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm putting down a hair over 302 hp to the wheels
That's roughly 350-360hp at the crank. You're coming in a good 15-25hp over the published HP numbers for the tune. Considering the FRPP tune is your only power mod, it really shows, I think, how bad the stock intercooler is and how much HP is lost with it.

That makes the FRPP tune pretty enticing. It just seems like a really good OTS tune when paired with a good intercooler. If only I could use a downpipe with it (if I can't have a V8 rumble, I'm damn sure going to hear turbo whistle)....

I'm considering switching to the ATM intercooler next year when I get down to business with this car. My Rev9 intercooler works fine since I'm on the stock tune, but I believe it'll be inadequate in the long run for my current plans for the car.

Off topic...
The 2018 Ecoboost is pretty impressive when paired with the 10 speed auto. Sub 5 seconds 0-60 with no HP increase, just a 30lb-ft torque bump? Yes, please!
With a 2018 EB, you'll literally be a 91 octane tune away from running with - and beating - stock pre-2018 GT's. From a 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder. Crazy.

Sponsored

AGM2018

So...I am not certain this "thread" is the appropriate place to put forth my query (MODS, if it isn't, please excuse me!). I, like many, was waiting on the 18 prices to be published, before deciding to purchase a 17 EB or an 18 EB. My desired options are few: automatic, PP and Enhanced Security Group. Aside from price alone, I am gravitating towards the 17, due to the availability of the Ford Racing Tune; I was, perhaps naively so, rather disappointed that Ford didn't just "add" the FR tune to the 18 EB's to produce a 330ish HP/360ish FT-LB of torque rating. In my mind that would have eliminated the need...and endless requests and complaints from 18+ EB purchasers...for FR to develop an updated tune for the 18+ EB's.

So now...what to do! Do I find a 17 EB for a great price, purchase it and replace the intercooler/add the FR tune OR do I wait a few months....maybe a year for prices to become reasonable...and purchase an 18 EB, with the upgraded 10 Speed Automatic, PP and Enhanced Security Package...for almost assuredly more money than what I may purchase a 17 EB for now. So fellow 'Stang admirers...what say ye? All advice is welcomed and appreciated. Domo Arrigato!

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
What is the CJB revision to the FP tune? I had my tune installed in May, do I need to update?

Also 1 more question, sorry LOL...

With the taller FMICs, like the ATM, how would I go about not getting a CEL by removing the active grille shutters? Do we keep the motor on, but cut the shutters? Does that mean I need to get an aftermarket grille also?

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
That 10 speed is hard to resist with drag mode. Drag mode is the only way to get the extra torque I believe. You basically bhave to peal rubber to get sub 5s which well surely bring attention from the cops on the road. FP will likely update their tune quicker than it did for the 15-16 eco. I wouldn't pass down a new 10 speed.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
So now...what to do! Do I find a 17 EB for a great price, purchase it and replace the intercooler/add the FR tune OR do I wait a few months....maybe a year for prices to become reasonable...and purchase an 18 EB, with the upgraded 10 Speed Automatic, PP and Enhanced Security Package...for almost assuredly more money than what I may purchase a 17 EB for now. So fellow 'Stang admirers...what say ye? All advice is welcomed and appreciated. Domo Arrigato!
This question is kind of where I was the last week or so. I have a 15 EB with FP tune and I am looking to trade in at some point in the semi near future. I looked at a couple 17s. I do really like grabber blue. Found a 17, grabber blue, premium, auto with some other bells and whistles and it would have been about 30.5k. Not bad epecially with the zero percent financing going on right now. But I really like the new fury orange, the digital dash, the 10 sp auto, the heated steering wheel, the upgraded interior quality, etc. so I think I am going to hold out for an 18. I think the new 10 sp will help smooth out the stock tune. Also it is gaining about 30 lb tq.

What will be interesting is to see if they make any other changes. I am guessing no. So should be able to upgrade with any of the current intercoolers. The wild card is the FP tune. Will they offer one? I really hope so but even if they do I have a feeling it will be quite awhile before it comes out. So that is one thing that does suck and puts a point back in the side of getting a 17.

I also considered looking at an 18 GT, but the price gap is just too high and for a DD I just don't think its worth it.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
So...I am not certain this "thread" is the appropriate place to put forth my query (MODS, if it isn't, please excuse me!). I, like many, was waiting on the 18 prices to be published, before deciding to purchase a 17 EB or an 18 EB. My desired options are few: automatic, PP and Enhanced Security Group. Aside from price alone, I am gravitating towards the 17, due to the availability of the Ford Racing Tune; I was, perhaps naively so, rather disappointed that Ford didn't just "add" the FR tune to the 18 EB's to produce a 330ish HP/360ish FT-LB of torque rating. In my mind that would have eliminated the need...and endless requests and complaints from 18+ EB purchasers...for FR to develop an updated tune for the 18+ EB's.

If you were initially going for the auto, I would get the 2018 with the 10 speed auto. Just like the previous poster had said, with an intercooler and a tune (I am sure Ford Racing will release it for the 2018's in a matter of time), you will be smoking pre 2018 GT's.

If you want to save a few thousand $$'s, and stick with the manual while not caring about the absolute performance numbers - I would get a 2017.
Sponsored