Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

AGM2018

This question is kind of where I was the last week or so. I have a 15 EB with FP tune and I am looking to trade in at some point in the semi near future. I looked at a couple 17s. I do really like grabber blue. Found a 17, grabber blue, premium, auto with some other bells and whistles and it would have been about 30.5k. Not bad epecially with the zero percent financing going on right now. But I really like the new fury orange, the digital dash, the 10 sp auto, the heated steering wheel, the upgraded interior quality, etc. so I think I am going to hold out for an 18. I think the new 10 sp will help smooth out the stock tune. Also it is gaining about 30 lb tq.

What will be interesting is to see if they make any other changes. I am guessing no. So should be able to upgrade with any of the current intercoolers. The wild card is the FP tune. Will they offer one? I really hope so but even if they do I have a feeling it will be quite awhile before it comes out. So that is one thing that does suck and puts a point back in the side of getting a 17.

I also considered looking at an 18 GT, but the price gap is just too high and for a DD I just don't think its worth it.
I agree with all of your points; and you "hit the nail on the head" squarely in your analysis of the GT being too expensive for a DD. I REALLY wished Ford had just increased the HP for the 18 EB to about 330...330 HP and 350 FT/LB torque is a solid, respectable figure for a daily driver, even without a FR tune upgrade. Add an aftermarket intercooler and perhaps a cat back of your choice...and it is done. I do hope FR offers a tune for the 18 EB and 18 GT...but, it may take another year to a year and a half to develop and release. Having a GT with the PP and 10 speed automatic would be very nice indeed...but, like you, I am not paying 40K for a DD Mustang.
Sponsored

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
but, like you, I am not paying 40K for a DD Mustang.
Yeah the one I specced out would had an MSRP of 47k lol. As it is the 18 EB I have specced out is 37.8k and that is without the performance pack. X-plan price is still around 35k. Still I think its a lot of car for the money. I am going to send an email to FP and see if they have any response on a tune for the 18s.

It still sucks that you need to get an intercooler just to get decent performance out of these cars, so you need to add that on to the sale price pretty much.

The other thing I need to decide on is how to handle my mods on the current car. I put some $$ into the suspension. But it will cost some decent money to get it all removed so might need to start over. At least I can transfer my wheels over.

I really think the next big thing we will see for the EB is a turbo 6 for the MY2021. That is when it will get real interesting.

AGM2018

Yeah the one I specced out would had an MSRP of 47k lol. As it is the 18 EB I have specced out is 37.8k and that is without the performance pack. X-plan price is still around 35k. Still I think its a lot of car for the money. I am going to send an email to FP and see if they have any response on a tune for the 18s.

It still sucks that you need to get an intercooler just to get decent performance out of these cars, so you need to add that on to the sale price pretty much.

The other thing I need to decide on is how to handle my mods on the current car. I put some $$ into the suspension. But it will cost some decent money to get it all removed so might need to start over. At least I can transfer my wheels over.

I really think the next big thing we will see for the EB is a turbo 6 for the MY2021. That is when it will get real interesting.
I agree! If I knew the 2021 MY would get the 2.7 EB Turbo, or perhaps an upgraded version of the 2.7...or another turbo V-6 even, I would save my money and wait three years. But...there will always be something newer, faster and more technologically advanced than your current car, right? I am, as you and a few other suggested, going to wait on the 18EB. And to be honest, the only option I am "bummed" to not be able to get in the EB base is the "Carbon Fiber Interior Option". I really like the Alcantera seat inserts. My 16 Maxima SR has them and I love them...comfortable AND they "hug onto you" and don't "slide off of you" like leather. But, I am betting the cloth in the base is both comfortable and "hugs onto you" nicely as well.

So for me, it looks like an ingot Silver 18 EB Base, with 301A, automatic, PP and Enhanced Security Package. And as you astutely pointed out, I am including the cost of an aftermarket intercooler in the price as well; my choice would be CP-e. Any opinion on their intercoolers? And while I am at it, I may as well add a Magna Flow Catback and be done with it, until (IF) Ford Racing releases a tune for the 18 EB.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Judging as it's not a fresh start on a new motor, FP shouldn't take nearly as long as before.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my choice would be CP-e. Any opinion on their intercoolers?
I currently have the cp-e in my car. I think its generally considered to be the best option for stock style intercooler. I did not want to make any other adjustments so thought this was best way to go. It does a decent job. I will probably go with a bigger unit next time around as adding an intercooler does not seem to pose an issue for most dealers with regards to warranty work. I have a good relationship with my dealer anyway so should not be an issue.

Sponsored

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Judging as it's not a fresh start on a new motor, FP shouldn't take nearly as long as before.
This is true. They really should just be compensating for the new 10 speed auto and the TQ bump.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently have the cp-e in my car. I think its generally considered to be the best option for stock style intercooler. I did not want to make any other adjustments so thought this was best way to go. It does a decent job. I will probably go with a bigger unit next time around as adding an intercooler does not seem to pose an issue for most dealers with regards to warranty work. I have a good relationship with my dealer anyway so should not be an issue.
Do it right the first time and go ATM :thumbsup::thumbsup:

AGM2018

So...if I wanted to install a bigger intercooler from the start (no use in doing a modification twice, right? :headbang:), which larger style intercooler would you recommend? And why? Also any information/opinion on if a Catback Exhaust system is truly worth the "Bang For The Buck?" Magna Flow Street (less loud from what I can tell on U Tube videos) would be my choice. Any opinion on whether MF or another (quiet) brand flows/fits better?

AGM2018

Do it right the first time and go ATM :thumbsup::thumbsup:
So does the ATM require removing the grill shutters or any other cutting/modification, that say, the Cpe or other stock sized intercooler does not? And how much more expensive is the ATM, vice the Cpe? Thanks for your assistance!:clap2:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe all of the large race intercoolers require removal of the AGS (It's garbage anyways. Chuck it.). Most of the smaller street intercoolers don't require removal.

There's no cutting or modfying needed though. Direct replacement.

The cp-e street is usually 560-600 dollars.

ATM still has their M6G discount with free shipping bringing it to 629.

Under a hundred dollar difference?!? The choice is obvious!

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So...if I wanted to install a bigger intercooler from the start (no use in doing a modification twice, right? :headbang:), which larger style intercooler would you recommend? And why? Also any information/opinion on if a Catback Exhaust system is truly worth the "Bang For The Buck?" Magna Flow Street (less loud from what I can tell on U Tube videos) would be my choice. Any opinion on whether MF or another (quiet) brand flows/fits better?
While a good catback will open up your exhaust, it still won't change the most restrictive part of your exhaust, the downpipe. So your peformance gained is going to be minimal to none, other than weight savings (which the EB loves).

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
While a good catback will open up your exhaust, it still won't change the most restrictive part of your exhaust, the downpipe. So your peformance gained is going to be minimal to none, other than weight savings (which the EB loves).
No, but it serves another important role: making the EB sound like a performance car. Or a wet fart. YMMV.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I think you are way off base saying Ford doesn't care about the Ecoboost. If they didn't they would not have up'd the power, added the torsen diff to the Performance Package, offered the 10spd auto, magnetic ride or the digital dash plus you can still get a Pony Package on the Ecoboost you can't on the GT.

The Ecoboost is not supposed to compete with the GT from a performance standpoint but it has been improved enough to keep it ahead of it's competing, the Challenger and Camaro v6s.
I did Exaggerate a bit but in no way off base, Obviously it's not suppose to compete with the GT no one is arguing that, what I am arguing is that they did not care to give it the power bump it needed for the 2nd gen. It should have been pretty close to the FP tune, At minimum I thought it would have 325hp, 370tq, would that of been too good? No, could they have done it? Yes, did they care to do it? not at all, hell is should of had that stock since the first model, they sandbagged it too far. I think the only thing that makes sense is to buy 1st gen at a great deal and go aftermarket.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I did Exaggerate a bit but in no way off base, Obviously it's not suppose to compete with the GT no one is arguing that, what I am arguing is that they did not care to give it the power bump it needed for the 2nd gen. It should have been pretty close to the FP tune, At minimum I thought it would have 325hp, 370tq, would that of been too good? No, could they have done it? Yes, did they care to do it? not at all, hell is should of had that stock since the first model, they sandbagged it too far. I think the only thing that makes sense is to buy 1st gen at a great deal and go aftermarket.
The torque boost is nice - 30lb-ft gain. I'm surprised they didn't bump HP up, though. Seems odd to me. I wonder if it's because the cars it's competing against aren't getting any faster?
I mean, the new Camaro SS and 392 Challengers are faster than the 5.0. Ford needed to increase the GT's power to compete with them.
As far as I know, the EB competes quite well/is faster than the cars in it's catergory - V6 Camaro, 3.8 GenCo, 5.7L Challengers, etc...

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The torque boost is nice - 30lb-ft gain. I'm surprised they didn't bump HP up, though. Seems odd to me. I wonder if it's because the cars it's competing against aren't getting any faster?
I wonder if its more because the engine can't safely handle it. There have been a bunch of ecoboooms!
Sponsored