Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I had my very first track day this past weekend and thought I would share my thoughts and experiences to those of you who may be looking to do their first event as well and would like to know what to expect. I did HPDE 1 at Auto Club Speedway.

I'm sure many of you on this forum are in the same spot I was prior to this event. I had read through every article I could find about track days and what to expect. I had read the brakes over heat, the diff over heats, the PP suspension is still too soft, the stock PS4S tires are ok but not great, etc. I was looking into buying all these parts to prepare my car for the track and to make my car better. I was thinking I needed to change all my fluids and get better tires and all that....You don't need to change anything. Just go out there and drive. The only "performance" mods I had on my car for the event was a clutch spring and brake cooling ducts. Otherwise bone stock.

The first 20 min session I was very slow. I did not know how hard I could push the brakes and tires. I braked early and my turn-in was atrocious. That's ok, this is where we learn.
Second session, my in-car instructor told me to keep the go-pedal to the floor on one straight until he told me to brake. I thought I was going to go off the track. At the first of three braking cones, he told me to stand on the brakes....damn these Brembos work well! The car gripped well and stopped hard. After that, I knew what level of abuse the car could take and I kept pushing the car more and more.
By the end of the day, I was passing everyone. I was passing cars that, on paper, should be way faster than me. The PP trim is VERY capable for people learning.

So to those of you, who like me, have zero track experience and are reading all these posts about how the car needs all these parts to perform; stop reading the forums and go get on the track. The car is great as-is to learn on. As you gain experience and start getting faster, sure, you will need upgrades, but you don't need to buy anything as you're learning.

Some facts:
Ambient temps were low to mid 70s throughout the day.
Brakes never faded (maybe I wasn't pushing it all that hard or maybe my brake ducts do help)
Engine oil temps never hit yellow
Highest diff temp I saw was around 220
Four 20 min sessions went through a full tank of gas
Factory PS4S tires worked great, at the last session I was hitting the limit of the tires though. When you really push them, they do start sliding. Also, they do roll over onto the side wall on the front tires quite a bit. Camber plates would definitely help prolong the tires. I was at about 35-37psi hot.

Fun fact, following a Z06 with sticky tires can get interesting. A rock flew at my windshield at 140mph and cracked it.

Hope this gives a little insight to those who are looking into their first track day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Great write-up and completely agree with you. Upgrade parts later if needed so that you can see and feel the difference they make and you got your moneys worth. Great stuff!

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I've read here before that body roll is your friend when learning and now I know first hand how true that is. The car linearly rolls when in turn; as you turn the wheel more, the body rolls more. You quickly learn when the tires are going to break loose based on body roll. If you stiffen the car right off the bat, its flat, flat, flat, and BAM! Grip is gone. Not ideal for beginners as its hard to predict.

Going forward, I'll use these factory tires until their dead. Then I think I'll get a set of track wheels and some stickier tires.
You definitely learn very quickly that tires are the best mod you can buy for your car.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I'm doing my first HPDE in the Mustang next month . I've done a few "trackcross" events ( sorta of a hybrid track day and autocross where we run about 50-75% of a lap for time ) . I have 4 HPDE days in an e36 BMW (1993 325i) . I have minimal mods (see below) and don't plan on doing much other then brake flush for the track.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good write up.

A lot of people get too caught up in reading what they should do before track day to the point where it's overwhelming and many just give up. As long as your car is in a good mechanical condition, sign up for your first event, and send it (safely). Once you do a few events, work on upgrades.

Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience! I'll be attending the June 22nd Track Day at Auto Club Speedway for my first HPDE experience and expect to learn a lot as well.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Thanks for sharing your experience. I see it quite frequently... Person A thinks he needs to buy the whole aftermarket companies catalog or do x and y to the suspension, brakes, or *gasp* even start adding more power before going to their first track day all to realize... that it's not the car that needs upgrades, it's the driver. I saw a car once that was decked out with every part you could imagine (including power upgrades) and where did that guy end up? Wrecking the car through a fence after the 1st lap. No experience and heavily modified car is no bueno.

The car in stock form is more than capable as you have found out. The driver is typically the limitation. I see Miatas passing Corvettes all day. Why... because driver mod.

Once a driver attains more experience, the car will start communicating what it needs and even then... it's one mod at a time. Test, test, test, then the car will eventually tell you what the next bottleneck is.

Congrats on your first track day. Welcome to the addiction!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was thinking I needed to change all my fluids and get better tires and all that....You don't need to change anything. Just go out there and drive. The only "performance" mods I had on my car for the event was a clutch spring and brake cooling ducts. Otherwise bone stock.
Quoted for truth. Especially if you are a novice, just get out there and drive.

I recommend you do flush the brake fluid and maintain other fluids more frequently based on track use, but you certainly don't need anything else.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience! I'll be attending the June 22nd Track Day at Auto Club Speedway for my first HPDE experience and expect to learn a lot as well.
You're going to have a blast! That track is so much fun.

Here's some pictures for anyone who cares
upload_2019-5-24_12-36-42.png

upload_2019-5-24_12-37-10.png

upload_2019-5-24_12-37-28.png

Yes, I'm that nerd who put blue tape on my bumper. Haha

Sponsored

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
Congrats on starting the addiction. We all have started at one point of time and seat time is the best thing any driver can do to improve. I do want to clarify your information since I do not necessarily agree that the car needs nothing. Your experience may work at that particular track with the 300 treadwear tires, but any changes in that equation can lead to an unsafe condition for an inexperienced driver. The only items I recommend before the first track days is to swap out the brake fluid with quality DOT 4 and putting some ok autocross/track pads on to withstand the heat. Not aggressive ones by any means since they should match your tire grip. No other modifications are necessary besides seat time from then on and then it should transition to safety first, but most rarely follow that path. Enjoy pushing the car to the limits and becoming a better driver each time. I have enjoyed all the people I have met over the years which keep me going back.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Nice, welcome to the club!

The s550 is a very competent car in its stock form for a lot of driver skill levels.

If interested, check out my "car vids" link below for a lot of track and mod action.

Keep it up and see you at the track! :like:

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
I have a 2019 GT PP1. Going to first track weekend next week. Worried about cosmetic damage like you mentioned. What kind of tape did you use for the front? Did it help? Any issues with removal afterwards? I have CQuartz ceramic coating on the car but that won’t stop rock chips? Lastly, did you purchase track insurance? Recommmend?
Thank you!

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 GT PP1. Going to first track weekend next week. Worried about cosmetic damage like you mentioned. What kind of tape did you use for the front? Did it help? Any issues with removal afterwards? I have CQuartz ceramic coating on the car but that won’t stop rock chips? Lastly, did you purchase track insurance? Recommmend?
Thank you!
I used regular blue painters tape. Never had any issues with it coming loose the whole day. Comes off super easy too; no residue, no marks. You just look like a dork haha. I didn't have any rock chips on the front so I suppose that means it helped, or no rocks hit my bumper at all. I did have one fly up and crack my windshield though. Be mindful of that. I'm getting a new windshield on Monday.

You will get TONS of black tire marks all over your car. That stuff comes off easy though. I bought a bottle of Mother's Racing Rubber Remover and it wipes off easy.

The ceramic coating will definitely help but you are correct; it's not perfect.

I did not purchase the track insurance. It's up to you. On tracks that have runoff, you probably don't need it. If there are walls on the sides of the track, may be a better idea.
There will always be that chance of wrecking. The best insurance you can have is building your comfort level with the car. Don't be too aggressive with it right off the bat.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you!
Focus on the hood, possibly the a pillers and rood line above windshield. Those are the aluminium parts that are prone to chipping. That's where most of my chips are before I wisened up and put on a clear bra. Little late but oh well. The front bumper is plastic and can get chips, but not near as bad.

I agree with above on insurance. If your track has walls then it might be a good idea, otherwise you're prob ok.
Sponsored