First time swapping wheels

aidanmeade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem. Convertible 2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Prem
Hello, first time getting new wheels that are a different size and looking for some help.
I’m looking to get the PP1 wheels on my GT, but the set I found are 275/40/19 but on 9.5s square. Stock rears. What do I need to do to make these fit on my car? I’m swapping the stock 18s out for them.
I’ll assume that the speedometer and odometer will need to be reprogrammed, and not sure how the fitment of 4 rears would be on the car.
Has anyone done this and what did you need to do to make it as close to OEM as possible?

Thanks everyone for the help
Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Yeah, there's a few that have put the pp1 rears on front. You'll need a small spacer to make them clear due to the offset.

Here's one example that should have the info you need: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pp1-rear-wheels-9-5-on-front.149037/

As for the speedometer, I don't know the size you're coming from, but I doubt it'll cause it to be that far off. You can check on like tire size calculator to see the difference. Can be adjusted with a tune though.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I have a full PP set (9 wide front, 9.5 rear) so I am not sure but I have heard as mentioned above that you need a spacer to make them clear in the front. I think a 275 square setup would be really nice, the 255 with 9 wide on the front looks too small and needs a spacer anyway to fill out the wheel well.

OP
OP
aidanmeade

aidanmeade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem. Convertible 2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Prem
Yeah, there's a few that have put the pp1 rears on front. You'll need a small spacer to make them clear due to the offset.

Here's one example that should have the info you need: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pp1-rear-wheels-9-5-on-front.149037/

As for the speedometer, I don't know the size you're coming from, but I doubt it'll cause it to be that far off. You can check on like tire size calculator to see the difference. Can be adjusted with a tune though.
I have a full PP set (9 wide front, 9.5 rear) so I am not sure but I have heard as mentioned above that you need a spacer to make them clear in the front. I think a 275 square setup would be really nice, the 255 with 9 wide on the front looks too small and needs a spacer anyway to fill out the wheel well.
Thank you both for the replies, that thread was very helpful as well. I’ll probably just wait until I can find a full set with the 9.5 only for the rear, I don’t really want to mess with spacers or anything yet, don’t really know what I’m doing. A full set of PP1 wheels is an easy swap it seems? They clear everything alright?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Thank you both for the replies, that thread was very helpful as well. I’ll probably just wait until I can find a full set with the 9.5 only for the rear, I don’t really want to mess with spacers or anything yet, don’t really know what I’m doing. A full set of PP1 wheels is an easy swap it seems? They clear everything alright?
Yes perfect fit.
IMG_0391.jpeg

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
FYI there isn’t a big enough difference from the stock 18’s to the 275/40r19 that you need to reprogram the speedo. I run the stock 18” size in winter and I go up to a 285/35R20 in summer and there’s not a major difference there either. Once you start to get to/exceed 3% of the original size (bigger or smaller) is when you need to start factoring the speedo and gearing etc.

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Reading through this thread it's apparent that ya'll know more about this than I do. I just ordered new 20in wheel and tire package for my 2016 GT Convertible. Tires are 255 35/R20. I didn't think about spacers or anything. Am I about to have buyers remorse?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Reading through this thread it's apparent that ya'll know more about this than I do. I just ordered new 20in wheel and tire package for my 2016 GT Convertible. Tires are 255 35/R20. I didn't think about spacers or anything. Am I about to have buyers remorse?
Depends on your wheel offsets as far as spacers go but you should fine, although they likely will be a little tucked in just due to the width of the tire.

This is a great tool as far as comparing tire sizes and seeing the differences. Plug original size tire into Tire 1 and your new tire size in Tire 2

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Depends on your wheel offsets as far as spacers go but you should fine, although they likely will be a little tucked in just due to the width of the tire.

This is a great tool as far as comparing tire sizes and seeing the differences. Plug original size tire into Tire 1 and your new tire size in Tire 2

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Great website. Wish I had that sooner. Thanks for the info.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
OP, 1/2" slip on spacers are needed for PP1 rear wheels to clear the strut. You will lose 1/2" lug nut thread engagement. The remaining threads will be just short of the recommended amount. You can torque the front lugs to 100# and try things out. For street duty it's probably ok. To be super safe you will need 1/2" longer studs. That's a hassle to swap them and about $100+ for just the fronts. You probably won't need open ended lugs.

All of this is a small hassle but you can virtually double your tire life with rotations.

Many of us have done all this, especially those of us who track our cars.
Sponsored