Sponsored

Financial decision having regrets now

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
they are faster than most cars 0-60 however, from about 50mph and above, they do not have much power.
Great to get feedback from a Tesla owner. Lots of em around me and I see em zip away passing. However I feel you'd only hear the limitations from an owner with experience. Glad you posted that.
Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Great to get feedback from a Tesla owner. Lots of em around me and I see em zip away passing. However I feel you'd only hear the limitations from an owner with experience. Glad you posted that.
You are welcome, I am happy to answer any other questions if anyone wants more info.

Also, I am looking at the Mach-E as a daily driver, I test drove one and was impressed (AWD Extended Range model) so I am considering it.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
^ when you get a MME can we have a block party? We can eat chicken or whatever from the hood? I'll bring the beers.

Jk....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No need for gasoline. No oil changes. Never having owned one, I'm not sure how much maintenance is involved with evs but there are most definitely some benefits.
Yeah, reduction in maintenance (and related time and money), but there's a lot of really neat perks to removing an engine/transmission like tons of interior and storage space, a cabin forward design like a mid-engine but instead of an engine, you've got a big trunk (and of course, the front/frunk storage), no transmission hump in the rear making the back seat area really roomy - very low COG improving handling and safety - crazy performance with the instant torque + no gears.

I owned a Model 3 Performance Tesla and yes, they are faster than most cars 0-60 however, from about 50mph and above, they do not have much power. At slower speeds is where the electric cars do shine and perform. The handling is decent however, nothing close to the levels of a Mustang PP1/PP2, GT350 or 500. They are good, but not anywhere near as good as the shocks are the weak point, uneven surfaces they tend to push easily.
The handling OOTB is solid for the street (talking an M3P), for A/X, needs some lighter 18" wheels/wider tires, a brake pad upgrade (or the Tesla "High Performance" upgrade). For a track? Yeah, a nice coilover upgrade from UP, MPP, etc., probably greatly improves the performance (along with the aforementioned wheels/tires/pads).

I mean, it's not much different than upgrading, well, any car for track duty, especially one where that's not the main design goal (like a base model GT). I mean, people who don't track who target the track issues with a car, umm, OK, I guess as a Wrangler owner I should point out the shitty offroad capabilities of my GT Convertible :D

I think everyone has to keep in mind, when comparing something like a Model 3 to a GT350, or even moreso , so a GT500, we're talking about a mid-sized 4-door sedan, that seats 5, or 4 in pretty terrific comfort, has excellent storage capacity (for it's class), a spectacular audio system, a quiet interior, some absolutely slick tech, and sure, it goes like stink around town, which is where 98% of most people's, umm, stink going, occurs :D

I have a lot of friends who are Tesla owners, like a strange amount (maybe it's my professional sector, areas I've worked, who knows ...), one has a Porsche GT3 (couple of years old), he takes that to the track, for everything/anything else, his Model S is a better option. People just get caught up on a common performance comparison, but that's just one small attribute of ownership.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Yeah, reduction in maintenance (and related time and money), but there's a lot of really neat perks to removing an engine/transmission like tons of interior and storage space, a cabin forward design like a mid-engine but instead of an engine, you've got a big trunk (and of course, the front/frunk storage), no transmission hump in the rear making the back seat area really roomy - very low COG improving handling and safety - crazy performance with the instant torque + no gears.

The handling OOTB is solid for the street (talking an M3P), for A/X, needs some lighter 18" wheels/wider tires, a brake pad upgrade (or the Tesla "High Performance" upgrade). For a track? Yeah, a nice coilover upgrade from UP, MPP, etc., probably greatly improves the performance (along with the aforementioned wheels/tires/pads).

I mean, it's not much different than upgrading, well, any car for track duty, especially one where that's not the main design goal (like a base model GT). I mean, people who don't track who target the track issues with a car, umm, OK, I guess as a Wrangler owner I should point out the shitty offroad capabilities of my GT Convertible :D

I think everyone has to keep in mind, when comparing something like a Model 3 to a GT350, or even moreso , so a GT500, we're talking about a mid-sized 4-door sedan, that seats 5, or 4 in pretty terrific comfort, has excellent storage capacity (for it's class), a spectacular audio system, a quiet interior, some absolutely slick tech, and sure, it goes like stink around town, which is where 98% of most people's, umm, stink going, occurs :D

I have a lot of friends who are Tesla owners, like a strange amount (maybe it's my professional sector, areas I've worked, who knows ...), one has a Porsche GT3 (couple of years old), he takes that to the track, for everything/anything else, his Model S is a better option. People just get caught up on a common performance comparison, but that's just one small attribute of ownership.
One thing I will say is don't mess with a Model 3 Performance from a stop, they are pretty consistent low 3 second 0-60. When I had mine, I would come up to sports cars and most would pull away slowly which was funny.

The only time I really found the suspension to have issues was over rough surfaces. For what it is, it was a fun car overall and I did not have any issues with mine.

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I don't mess with Tesla's or MME's, of course they're going to be faster. Duhhh.....

When I was riding with my brother in law in his Tesla, there was a mustang trying to mess with him and I was like "no baby don't even try" .... we both had a good laugh about it and zoom we went.

Last edited:

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Aside from having to buy one new and the $$ - what holds me back is the cost of a new battery. It loses capacity from day one, and at some point range suffers to the point you want to replace it. So for resale .... and at some point one will want to .... buyers will be concerned about battery health, and what it will cost them for a new one. A used Nissan leaf here caught my eye, and then I called the dealer to price a new battery. It was more than the car. Combined, used car and battery were quite upside down on value. Tesla will out perform a GT350 hands down.... range is more than enough for the driving i do. All sounds good. However eventual resale is going to be a heartbreaker I feel, so I cant bring myself to buy one currently.
My friend bought a used Nissan Leaf because it had a "great price" for the mileage and such. He's an "EV lover" as he owns a Tesla X in NV which he only uses maybe 3 or 4 times a year (he lives in a tropical "paradise" and visits there & his kids during those trips; he doesn't allow them to drive it so he had to invest in a special floor jack that allows special fixed jack stands to get the vehicle off the floor since not using it causes the tires to flat-spot & the dealer told him they'd "comp" him a set on warranty but won't do it again since he now knows he MUST get them off the ground if he only uses it that sparsely). Anyway, out here Leafs and other pure EVs have a very low resale price because all our electricity is produced by petroleum-based generation plants (yeah, we have some solar & wind turbines but it doesn't account much in production percentage overall). I think he's sort of regretting buying the X though when he did, Tesla gave him "lifetime free Supercharger use; guess he realizes the cost of the vehicle, insurance, etc. isn't worth it for how much he uses it. I told him it'd be better if he had just rented cars when he visited there; he'd be well ahead of the game. Oh, and not to mention the extra cost of having to keep buying an extension to his extended warranty plan since repairs on the X isn't cheap and you probably can't get parts in the aftermarket (gull wing doors had some issues from what I heard).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Superchargers are usually right around $0.25/kWh (chargers are generally priced per kWh, not sure what the "per minute" thing is you saw).
Yea, checked again and I miss read the thing, it is 46 cents a Kw, 60 min limit.

Last edited:

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Fifty years from now people will say, "Wow, there were really vehicles that depended on blowing up petroleum distillates for their power?" But I will be long gone by then, being 65 now, and despite being overall very ecology-minded, I intend to indulge my love of my gasoline-powered, supercharged GT convertible; it may very well be the last vehicle I ever drive.

But everyone needs to make their own decision right now during the Transition, based on what they enjoy.

Life is short: if you do not enjoy whatever you drive, sell it and buy something you do.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible

The Ford Lightning F150 looks amazing, especially if you're a tailgater.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60