Sponsored

Financial decision having regrets now

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
There are virtually no constraints in EV industry... The industry has substantial capacity in building charging stations at convenient locations and besides having the ability to charge at home will be the mainstay. And what's more is the quantum leap we will see in nano technologies regarding materials used in batteries that provide less space, less weight, longer battery life, shorter charging times and greater efficiencies. It's just beginning to happen and the future for EV's is compelling. These vehicles are fast indeed... I'm sure like myself you've seen these cars on the track. They just replace heavy suspensions for stronger, lighter weight items, throw on bigger brakes and stickier tires and off they go down the straight with no more than a whoosh and if you listen carefully....maybe a little whine as those armature spin! The future is now.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I was looking at a new apartments (new construction) the new thing in the garages is multi-story parking for people with 2 cars.

1623943865784.png

All the places we went to said no Tesla's were allowed because of their weight. Go figure.
yet another Japanese 'first' shows up on USA shores.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
We're not talking 50kw and 200amps, its above 250+kw and thousands of amps.
We cannot supply the grid as is, just wait till 200,000 of these are sucking juice like a funny car sucks nitro. All at the same time.

I've been around high voltage and amperage industrial equipment. Not going to be fun when some clown electrocutes himself.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been around high voltage and amperage industrial equipment. Not going to be fun when some clown electrocutes himself.
Just wait till some moron cuts the cable off the charger to steel the copper, and pries open the outer shell to get at the bus bars. There's a hand-shake that goes on between car receptacle and the charger that prevents the leads from going hot without full contact.

What'll be hilarious is every gas station that doesn't have the necessary electrical service (I'd guess most stations not in bum-fk nowhere have 3-phase) will install a big honking Generac/Cummins and tap it into the underground diesel tank and power the chargers off that. Gas station chargers will likely have a variable limit based on units in service, where max will be reduced to 15 minutes if all bays are active.

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There's a hand-shake that goes on between car receptacle and the charger that prevents the leads from going hot without full contact.
Everytime we thought we had equipment idiot proof, we found a better idiot.

Just wait till some moron cuts the cable off the charger
If that cable is going to supply 1,000's of amps for long periods of time it's going to be "heavy"

will install a big honking Generac/Cummins and tap it into the underground diesel tank and power the chargers off that.
Wonder what it will cost to supply chargers with that diesel generator? Sucking 60 or so gallons of fuel per hour. There goes the supposed "green" transportation.

chargers will likely have a variable limit based on units in service, where max will be reduced to 15 minutes if all bays are active.
There are 3 fast charging stations close to me, within 20 min drive. They are time limited to 60 min and charge .35 cents per min. Soon to go up I'm sure.

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
Future is 10 years out. Minimum.

10 years? Hmmmm.... I know a little bit about flux capacitors and time travel.

I know Captain Kirk. I think it's happening now!
Image.jpg

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
and for the record;

I have no problem with EVs, if that’s your thing...

I also have no problem believing the charging stations can/will eventually keep up with demand.

and/or the battery technology improving to facilitate the same result.

my line in the sand is two-fold...

one, we need the electricity SUPPLY more than the afore mentioned items, and solar ain’t gonna cut it.

(just for fun, google where 33% of Kalifonias electricity comes from, and what source makes 60% of the total power supply)

and two, I will either always have an ICE vehicle (cough-gt350-cough) or I will frickin move before I am told I “cant” buy one.

that is all, carry on!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
before I am told I “cant” buy one.
damn it man, the Watermellons will picket your house and scream invective at how your selfishness is going to kill us all !

Largescale EV adoption is a farce and it's ecological benefits a fraud in any short timeframe and probably forever.

Sponsored

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
Ya, I would say that you screwed up, but I would enjoy the mach E and buy basically any generation roush, saleen, LMR, or cobra and be at one with the universe. Hmmmmmmmmm. Ummmmmmmmmmmm

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Here's a headline I just read that doesn't surprise me in the least.

1623958388154.png
We cannot supply the grid as is, just wait till 200,000 of these are sucking juice like a funny car sucks nitro. All at the same time.
California right now is warning about rolling blackouts throughout the state. They can't even supply the electric needs of the state now.
https://abc7.com/california-flex-alert-cal-iso-independent-system-operator-save-power/10798582/

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article252134288.html
What's going to happen when they force everyone to buy EV's? If there's no electricity, EV's will be useless. At least with a conventional engine, I can store several gallons of gas in containers for emergency use. Along with keeping my trucks 36 gal tank full. That's what kept me going for 2 weeks, when NY/LI got hit by hurricane Sandy and there was no gas for a few days.
How you going to charge your EV during a blackout, with a few thousand Duracell batteries?

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If oil hits $100/barrel, all other fossil fuel costs will go up. Which also means an increased cost to produce electricity, and higher costs to the consumers. Let alone we don't have the capacity to meet demand for electric use as it is. Certainly in areas like NYC and Long Island, and I'm sure other places like California.
Going to EV's is not as straight foward as they try to make you believe.
Cheap oil's affect on our civilization was much like the effect of meth on an individual. We sure got a lot of stuff done quickly. But burnout is inevitable. The price of oil will go up, sure. But eventually you hit a point where it takes more energy to extract it then the barrel provides in return. Once we get to that point, if we haven't transitioned to renewable energy, we are screwed. Electric isn't necessarily inevitable (unless mineral costs go down due to tech increases), but it does fill a need given how much more efficiently it converts input to output (kinetic energy). It's tempting to think we're clever enough to find another cheat code, but thermodynamics is a bitch. You have to bow down to it eventually. EROI (energy return on investment) will always be king and the most important factor.

I'll save waxing poetic about how a system built on infinite growth is unsustainable in a finite system.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
California right now is warning about rolling blackouts throughout the state. They can't even supply the electric needs of the state now.
https://abc7.com/california-flex-alert-cal-iso-independent-system-operator-save-power/10798582/

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article252134288.html
What's going to happen when they force everyone to buy EV's? If there's no electricity, EV's will be useless. At least with a conventional engine, I can store several gallons of gas in containers for emergency use. Along with keeping my trucks 36 gal tank full. That's what kept me going for 2 weeks, when NY/LI got hit by hurricane Sandy and there was no gas for a few days.
How you going to charge your EV during a blackout, with a few thousand Duracell batteries?
Blackouts happening in Texas too. Weather is hot and infrastructure old.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1270827

And Utah appears to be next

https://www.kutv.com/amp/news/local...e-for-citys-power-urges-residents-to-conserve

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
in NYC with it's plentiful rat population we'll all rig up wheels out of coat hangers and make them run. When one rat dies of exhaustion plop onother on the wheel. It'll take a few weeks to charge the EV but it'll eventually get there and you can cook the rats for dinner - electricity and a meal in a single package.
Sponsored