Sponsored

Filter wrench supplement arrived!

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Just received mine for H2614 built 10/16/16 and delivered 11/25/16.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Anyway, what's the point of this tool? A reminder that the filter will spin off if not torqued correctly? A liability offset? (we supplied them the tool.....) Who knows.

I think you hit on some strong points.

Truth be told, the right filter socket for this car can be hard to come by. An exact fit socket isn't always what is hanging on the shelves. I like to believe that the mindset at Ford is that many GT350 buyers are hands-on and would rather do the work themselves as opposed to taking it to a dealer. As such, and in concert with filter tightening/loosening horror stories/woes, Ford saw it as an opportunity to serve up a gesture in good faith. They didn't have to do any of this but they did and I think it's great.

In the future, they don't need a fancy box with a letter, etc. Just include the appropriate filter socket in a bag at delivery. And while you're at it Ford, why not offer US market Mustangs with the same front tow hook setup as Euro-spec Mustangs get? Especially on cars such as the GT350.

:shrug:

tasman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
boss mustang
Got mine a couple of days ago. I have a 16 with December 2016 delivery

scoarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000,2016 GT350 Tech (gone), 2017 GT350
Has anyone actually tried to use the wrench? There wasn't enough room to fit my shortest 22mm socket and ratchet to turn the new wrench in place. I used a 22mm box wrench on it to remove the old filter, but I didn't have a way to use a torque wrench to install the new filter. Maybe a crows foot at a 90 degree angle so I don't have to do the math? Am I missing something?

Sponsored

TexanZSG21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Received mine on yesterday, definitely seems to be a random order they are sending them out in. I picked my car up in January '16. Already bought the wrench from Amazon and did the first oil change so this will probably sit in the closet. Still neat though I guess.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I bought my car this past weekend....I opened the trunk and there it was. As for why they did it...who knows, but I put the adapter on the filter and it's a perfect fit. It eliminates the needs for guessing which wrench to use I guess.

R1Jester

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.r1jester.com
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I got my kit and did an oil change with it this weekend. Worked just fine for me with a socket. I do drive my car up on to some race ramps so I have some extra clearance underneath to do the change. But I didn't have any issues with clearance or even getting a long torque wrench to install the new filter. Worked great for me. I did have a short/normal 22mm socket however. Also noticed a red color on the threads. That's not like a smearing of loc-tite is it?

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Why would Ford spend all that money?...
It is because of the incompetent of dealerships around the US for not torqueing the filter to spec when servicing.

And it saves them on the engine warranty...

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So I got mine today. It looks like it's been used before, kinda dirty but it's just the manufacturing process.... Oh well, never look a free GT350 anything in the mouth. Happy to have the wrench, the filter and most importantly, the March 2017 printing of the Shelby Supplement.

I found it interesting that it kept the following passage on page 36:
CHANGING THE ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER
1. Remove the old oil filter and dispose of properly.
2. Wipe the engine seal surface and threads with a clean rag.
3. Apply oil to the new oil filter seal.
4. Install the oil filter and torque to 22-24 Nm (16-18 ft-lb).
Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST oil filter for maximum performance, reliability and durability. This filter was specifically engineered for this vehicle.
Note: The use of any oil filter other than the dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine damage.
See the Engine Oil Check section in the Maintenance chapter of your Owner's Manual for information on changing the engine oil.

I can't remember who or in what thread but they clearly stated the manual stated NOT to oil the gasket. Something about a greased seal contibuting to the filter vibrating off.... BS abounds....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Mine arrived today as well. Very well done. Too bad I sold my GT350 a month ago :(

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Still waiting on mine. Oddly enough my brother bought a GT350 almost a year after I took delivery of mine and already has his

B/Stock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350, 16' 2500 Duramax
Got mine today H2915. Comes in a very nice box.

cobra8u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
got mine friday May 5th!
Sponsored