Sponsored

Favorite ENGINE You’ve Owned?

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What’s your favorite (or favorites) engine you’ve owned?

Or - if you’ve got something to say about all of them, let’s hear it.

1: 5.0 Coyote. Not shocking, but this thing is bad to the bone for all the right reasons.

2: AMC/Chrysler 4.0 I-6. Total opposite, but short of Cash 4 Clunkers, not much would stop these engines. I would argue it’s the last “great” simple American engine to be made. My Cherokee had 219k on it when I sold it and it didn’t burn oil, had swallowed water more than once, never had an issue overheating, etc. IF something failed they are INCREDIBLY simple to tear down and fix. They didn’t make great power but they sound awesome with exhaust and you can build a 4.6-5.0 stroker engine for CHEAP using the crank/rods from the older 4.2 I-6 and those would make up to 300hp crank.

3: Ford 4.6 2v, 1999 and newer. Simple and tough as nails (until you add too much boost). Power output wasn’t impressive when compared to the LS1 engines of the same era. BUT, man do they sound GOOD and they’re still a solid power plant in the New Edge Mustangs. These were fleet vehicle motors as well and were famous for longevity.

4: Ford 2.0 Ecoboost. Had one in my Focus ST and they are little gremlins. Small turbo keeps the HP numbers lower but they are INSTA RESPONSIVE and make good torque. I learned to trust the engine as far as reliability but I was always a little more leery than any of the engines above. Direct injection meant potential issues with carbon buildup long term.

5: Chrysler 4.7 HO - Chrysler’s 4.6 2V equivalent, but they made more power.. 265hp/330lb ft. Not as long term reliable, cooling system (in Jeeps at least) had a flaw and would create potential for head gasket issues, dropped valve seats and they’re known to had valve stem seals go bad. BUT they’re very punchy and would move a Grand Cherokee with some urgency. This later turned into the 08+ 4.7’s which made around 300-310hp.. impressive for the displacement. Ford’s 4.6 3V was making less power during the same time.

6: Mitsubishi 2.0 (1988 Dodge Ram 50). My mom always said “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” My positive comment: It never blew up (despite the oil being black within a few hundred miles of an oil change) and I was happy to sell the truck for what I paid for it.

Unrelated to cars - Yamaha Genesis 5v 750CC engine. Early sportsbike engine, turned nearly 12k (it was an 86) and sounded so sick. It was really responsive and as it built RPM the power came on really quick. It would still be a fun engine for a modern bike that weighs less than what it was originally in.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really liked the Voodoo in my GT350. That was by far the best engine I've owned.

I had a 408 4V iron-headed EFI Cleveland that was really great. Actually I still have it, but no car to go with it.

I built a 302 with 1992 Cobra heads and an aftermarket cam that I really liked. It didn't make a ton of power, but it had a wicked idle and it liked to rev. Just sitting at a stop light was enjoyable in that car.

I like the V10 in my 1999 F250. It's not that powerful, but I'd say it's 25% better than a similar V8.

I had a Ford 400 in a 1980 F250. I liked that engine a lot.

The LS6 in my C5 Z06 was ok. A decent engine I think. Not as good as the Coyote, but still a solid V8.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Love my current Coyote 5.0.

I was always impressed with the 22RE (2.4L, IIRC) for Toyota's. I had an Toyota 4x4 pickup that had one and it was solid.

Sponsored

drc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 2015 Mustang GT- Sold
1) 5.2 FPC in GT350- different animal from the 5.0...so much power 4000-8000...Have Kooks headers, high flow cats and stock mufflers. Lund tune really helped low end torque.

2) 5.0 in 2015 GT....liked the throaty growl with headers and corsa double helix and touring mufflers. I kinda miss it...

3) 327 in 1968 Chevy Camaro- Double hump heads, 302 cam, headers, edelbrock mani....would scream to 7000. Was a light car and very fast. Muncy rock crusher tranny tore several rear diffs out. Was a classic that I sold to help with college.

4) 2015 Tundra- IForce 5.7...sounds great stock, but added a Dirt Deads BA cat back system. Plenty of power...sounds better, great truck.

Not a car, but

5) 489 HO MAG Mercruiser in Baja Outlaw boat...70+ MPH on the water with Corsa thru hull exhaust...pure religion

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Top 3

3 - Mitsubishi 4G63 - Evo VIII - This was my first performance car and learned everything on this platform. One of the greatest 4 cylinders of all time.

2 - Gen 1 Coyote w/ Roush TVS - This thing was a beast

1 - Gen 3 Coyote

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I own two versions of the Coyote.

I love the character of the version in my Mustang, the induction noise really makes me giggle.

DSC-0379.jpg

DSC-0376.jpg

The grunt of the supercharged version in my Falcon is extremely addictive.

x33.jpg

x333.jpg

These supercharged Coyote's were code named 'Miami' when in development. The Miami engines were hand assembled from imported block, heads and crank, with various other components including inlet manifold and supercharger being developed locally here in Australia. The engine builder then engraved their initials under the supercharger snout.

How do they compare? The Coyote needs to be stirred, it loves to rev and the induction note is beautiful. The Miami is effortless, it hammers from idle to red line all to the tune of supercharger wine and exhaust crackle.

10 litres and 16 cylinders of Ford bliss.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My favorite engine to build (used to do it on the side) was the Ford 385-series, 429/460. So easy to get 600+ HP out of (and well beyond), and they're anvils when properly done. Even a few of my diehard GM buddies appreciate them. The Ford 351C is another favorite, and I had a nasty one in my '70 Cougar drag car. I put together a respectable Ford 400 back in the '90s (to prove the point that a smog era turd can work it) for a summer driver Ranchero I had at the time that was faster than it had a right to be too.

I liked the big Pontiacs (400-455) too for some reason. Mopars also, I never got to build an elephant-vintage Hemi, but a good stout one sporting big cubes sounds like nothing else.

The Coyote is my favorite newer engine by far. I have fantasies of building my own version of the Aluminator 5.2 XS....

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Honda B16A1 w/Turbo
AMG 3.2L V6 Supercharged
AMG 6.0-liter V12 biturbo
Porsche 3.4L Flat six
Ford 2.3L Turbo
Ford Coyote w/WHIPPLE

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
N14 in my 2009 Mini JCW. Biased because it's the first engine I did more than just maintenance to. Still helping my buddy continue to mod thie thing and currently, it will smoke my 99% stock stang.

But more than that, the vocals of this Coyote simply put the mini to shame. Yes the turbo mini sounds like a M1 Abrams but it's not even close to the visceral V8! LOVE my stang more than any other car I've owned.

GrabberBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2011 GT
Let me start by saying that I have owned 6 mustang, and all of them had a v8, and nothing replaces the feel and sound of a v8.

While not necessarily my #1 engine (likely be #2 on the list though), the 2.7 EB is an excellent motor. I currently have an edge sport and an F-150 with the 2.7 and have owned another edge sport, as well as a fusion sport. the 2.7 IMO is greatly underappreciated. it's small, but very powerful. My fusion sport had just a tune and would hurt some feelings on the interstate.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I haven't owned many but for sure the 2V 4.6 in my 04 GT. 100% agree with the OP it wasn't much for power but man oh man did it sound amazing. My 04 GT had an MRT Catted H pipe and Borla Stingers it was a fierce sounding set up.

So my list would have to go

1. 4.6 2V
2. probably the 2.5T in my Mazda6
3. 3.6L V6 in the wifes Explorer
4. 4.6 3V - I liked my 3V - but looking back on it I wish I kept my 04. Other than newness the S197 at the time did nothing for me after owning it. Maybe it was the 5R55S trans
5. 2.0 I4 Focus

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My first real engine was a 396 Chevy. I had in a 70 el Camino.
But my favorites have all been Fords.

A 427 Cleveland stroker. Best motor evaaaaaaaaaa! Made a f#$k ton of power
A 363 winsor stroker. Made about 600hp.
And the stock coyote in my 15 and 19 GT.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
LS7 C6 ZO6 - a small block 427 - loved it.

The 2.3 in my RS is one of the best I've ever had. I run that little motor hard and it never fails to impress and doesn't consume any oil.

The Gen 3 Coyote - DI/PI + AED -> E85 bliss and I'm over 100 hp/l with everything stock (even that motorcraft air filter)
Sponsored