Face Subwoofer Towards Cabin or Trunk?

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
So I'm planning on adding in 2-10" or 2-12" subs to the 5.0 but don't know which way the box should face? I never have back seat passengers and might even do a rear seat delete anyways so if I faced it towards the cabin, my back seats would be down anytime I actually wanted to "bump music". But I always see cars with the subs facing the rear end of the car (of course they all bump music at car shows with the trunk open to show it off) but what's the best way? I have to screw the box in place obviously so I have to choose a direction.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Face woofers to the rear and remove the rear deck speakers to serve as ports to allow the sound to enter the cabin without having to lower the rear seat backs.

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Face woofers to the rear and remove the rear deck speakers to serve as ports to allow the sound to enter the cabin without having to lower the rear seat backs.
Isn't that going to cause lack of audio? Removing the 2 speakers? It's a base speaker system so I don't have 9 speakers like the premiums have.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Isn't that going to cause lack of audio? Removing the 2 speakers? It's a base speaker system so I don't have 9 speakers like the premiums have.
No, the rear speakers don’t do much at all. I only removed one of mine, but I should have removed both. If I ever have to remove the interior trim panels again, it will come out. I removed my center channel speaker as well and that was also an improvement.

I did replace my door mid bass woofers and A-pillar tweeters with a Hertz DSK 165 set. I run them with an AudioControl 4.300 micro amp. The sound is crystal clear with just the right amount of highs and mids which complement my JL Audio Stealthbox very well.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So I'm planning on adding in 2-10" or 2-12" subs to the 5.0 but don't know which way the box should face? I never have back seat passengers and might even do a rear seat delete anyways so if I faced it towards the cabin, my back seats would be down anytime I actually wanted to "bump music". But I always see cars with the subs facing the rear end of the car (of course they all bump music at car shows with the trunk open to show it off) but what's the best way? I have to screw the box in place obviously so I have to choose a direction.
Subs should face the rear when you have rear seats. The rear seats will kill the output from the subs (unless you create a gap for the rear seats using spacers under the latch). See: Best way to get bass to pass into cabin . If you do a rear seat delete then the best way is subs facing forward for and you can upgrade your rear speakers. The OEM ones back there absolutely suck and the carpet over them doesn't help matters.
1628688848259.png

The rear deck also kills the output from the subs. The whole back of the car chokes off the sound (I measured the effects) so you need to open up the rear deck and do what I did regardless if you want rear speakers or not. IMO any rear speakers are a waste of money: Forum Post
1628688968484.png

Also, zenclosures have pre-made boxes for the Mustang. Members who have purchased them say they fit tight and don't move around.
1628688725816.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The only measurable difference you’re going to notice is decibel output. If you really want to know which way is going to be loudest you need to move the speaker around in the trunk and use a decibel meter microphone that’s adaptable to your cell phone and check the dB at each location. Car audio fabrication on YouTube has a video on this and he noticed a few DB change based on forward, side, and rear firing.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The only measurable difference you’re going to notice is decibel output. If you really want to know which way is going to be loudest you need to move the speaker around in the trunk and use a decibel meter microphone that’s adaptable to your cell phone and check the dB at each location. Car audio fabrication on YouTube has a video on this and he noticed a few DB change based on forward, side, and rear firing.
Yes... and the location of the stock subwoofer is simply the best location as you get a 3-side amplification or corner loading in this case. Google it. Even in home audio it is used to reinforce the bass response of speakers that are naturally thin in the bass area. The nearer you get to a wall (or two or three walls), the more reinforcement you get in the bass. Therefor it would make sense to replace the anemic sub in the stock location with a beefier one, preferably with a better enclosure.
But you can also brute-force bass response with any other enclosure except for nulls that might happen due to location and reflections due to positioning of the sub.
Sponsored