Sponsored

Expanding Mustang's platform

Should Ford build a sedan off Mustang's platform?

• Yes

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 119 66.1%

• Total voters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
The S650 will be on a new global platform, covering many and varied bodies. Almost like the old chassis running gear with coach build body on top.

Keeps the costs down and allows Ford to compete.

In the UK Fords are the best selling cars, in the USA is it not Japanese cars you prefer?

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
The question was not "should there be a 4-door Mustang?" That's a terrible idea and would be the death of the Mustang brand.

However, the S650 platform is way too good to sell only 100k copies a year. The first sedan should be the premium Lincoln, above the FWD/AWD Continental. 2.7 EB and Coyote only. $75k. It would kill.

The second sedan could be a Ford, as long as it doesn't look like a Mustang. Someone said Challenger/Charger or Camaro/Chevy SS. That's the idea. A big highway cruiser. It would ride, handle and go fast with the best of them.

I can't see why they shouldn't do both of those, and it would give Ford that much more reason to keep building the S650 and do an S750 in 2025.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Although Mustang's leading the sales charts in it's segment this isn't totally good news as it seems the segment is suffering compared to previous years. Luckily Ford banked on selling this globally so that helps a bit.

Should Ford exploit Mustang's platform and build a 2+2 sedan? Not a Mustang with four doors, but a complete new top hat with it's own, new name.
I can remember when the Mustang looked like a pinto....eeeeeccchhhh!!

Now you have me picturing a Mustang stationwagon.... FAWK!!!!:frusty::frusty:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Too bad Mercury is dead, because a new Cougar in the mold of the original on the platform would be awesome.

(Major Cougar fan here, have owned as many Cougars as Mustangs....)
Mercury Comet Cyclone!:cheers:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon

The S650 will be on a new global platform, covering many and varied bodies. Almost like the old chassis running gear with coach build body on top.

Keeps the costs down and allows Ford to compete.

In the UK Fords are the best selling cars, in the USA is it not Japanese cars you prefer?
Ok, thanks for sharing that bit of info as I wasn't aware of it. Is it something Ford has stated or is it insider info?

Anything to do with D6?

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
If I could get a 4 door RWD car with a Manual in it for under 30k, that is what I would be driving. I don't need a V8, just a 300+HP V6 / Turbo 4.

If a RWD Manual 4-door with a similar price point was available in the 90's, I'd of been driving it instead of Mustangs !!

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Falcon uses a coyote based 5.0 v8 making 449 horsepower with supercharger. How the fuck does that happen?

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Falcon uses a coyote based 5.0 v8 making 449 horsepower with supercharger. How the fuck does that happen?
Read more into it. It's actually way over 500hp with transient overboost. First gear is limited to 450hp and so is 2nd gear up to ~4000rpm. With tune they're pushing at least 600hp.

Stock vs stock it clobbered the LSA-powered HSV GTS on the dyno but that's not saying much.

Sponsored

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would love a 4 door style sports car. It can be small, with a v-8, RWD and manual.

I wouldn't want them to call it a mustang, but bringing some sort of performance oriented falcon would be cool. My current mustang is by far my favorite car I've owned and driven. I would love a Ford sedan with the performance and ergonomics of a mustang.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yes, absolutely.

In fact Ford should do what GM did and come up with a very good, strong RWD architecture to spread throughout the lineup. Kind of how Camaro uses a platform developed for Cadillac, Ford should be developing a modular RWD platform to support Lincoln, large Ford sedans, and the Mustang. It should scale to fit each application. It's basically what every manufacturer does these days, and it's how we keep getting interesting cars like the Mustang into production.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I think I'm in the minority here.

I've learned to live with Ford's approach to RWD in the USA. I'm happy that the only RWD chassis is devoted to the long hood short deck pony car , that's it.

If and when Ford wants to play in the luxo RWD left and right turning game they will do it with another platform altogether. Mustang's product needs and frankly price requirements seem to dictate the very fragile working arrangement they have now.

Anyway if any manufacturer wants to MAKE money I think the last place right now is entry level or mid level luxo RWD cars , I mean just take a look at how many unsold ATS, ATS-Vs and Camaros there are ? :)

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yeah then take a look at economies of scale and figure out exactly how little those unsold cars cost when the engineering costs were amortized over 7 different end-user focused products.

This is how we get better, cheaper, faster cars.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I would love a 4 door style sports car. It can be small, with a v-8, RWD and manual.

I wouldn't want them to call it a mustang, but bringing some sort of performance oriented falcon would be cool. My current mustang is by far my favorite car I've owned and driven. I would love a Ford sedan with the performance and ergonomics of a mustang.
Mopar will have something for you in 2021. See Alfa Giulia but with a Hemi and Dodge styling.
Sponsored