Sponsored

Expanding Mustang's platform

Should Ford build a sedan off Mustang's platform?

• Yes

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 119 66.1%

• Total voters

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
No, they don't. :doh:

The Falcon is a 5.0- supercharged V8 WITH a manual. LOL
its honestly insane they cant bring that shit over, or make it an opton for the mustangs here. ive always wanted an aussie falcon. the boss 290 is a badass ride

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
they could, they should, they probably won't...Hell, they could have built a new retro cougar back in 2005, or at any point moving forward...hell, they still could, Sans Merc, just call it the Cougar, not the ford Cougar, just the COUGAR.

Or Lincoln could build a Mark IX....

But they won't...probably would lower their CAFE average to have more than one Coyote car

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon

or just bring this to america
Discontinued as of last year due to rationalisation of Ford platforms and high manufacturing costs in Australia. Plus, it was made on a shoestring budget which meant it wasn't always up to date with latest tech like a global vehicle would be. The powetrain, though, was exceptional for the price.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
Discontinued as of last year due to rationalisation of Ford platforms and high manufacturing costs in Australia. Plus, it was made on a shoestring budget which meant it wasn't always up to date with latest tech like a global vehicle would be. The powetrain, though, was exceptional for the price.
fuck it, share the tooling and production with US cars, make it compete with the ctsv/ss/isf sedan bullshit and watch the platform blow up. id shit myself if ford offered a FI coyote 10sp auto sedan. i would not be daily driving my mustang if ford offered any decent rwd v8 sedan

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
They won't. It would step on current model's toes. Ford has a high performance trim level for the Focus(compact), Fusion(mid-level), and Taurus(full size). It wouldn't make sense for them to build another sedan to take away profits from other cars they produce.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Yes....a RWD 4-door "coupe" with a hatch.

The original Mustang was based on the Falcon.....make a new Falcon based on the Mustang :thumbsup:
Some sort of "shooting brake" would be nice...CTS-V wagon => Mustang GT wagon :ford:

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
They won't. It would step on current model's toes. Ford has a high performance trim level for the Focus(compact), Fusion(mid-level), and Taurus(full size). It wouldn't make sense for them to build another sedan to take away profits from other cars they produce.
^This. Plus, sedans (and hatchbacks) in general aren't selling very well. Everyone wants a crossover for some reason. :cool:

Sponsored

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
Even a 5.0 option in the new Continental would be something

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
CAFE Standards

Don't forget about CAFE standards, the HP (i.e. mileage) pie is only so big, if you start giving away all of the horses to other models, there is potentially less for us :ford: Mustang lovers. Although technology is getting better, the bar gets raised every year.....

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
A Lincoln RWD four door that could compete with the Audi and BMW would be cool.
fuck it, share the tooling and production with US cars, make it compete with the ctsv/ss/isf sedan bullshit and watch the platform blow up. id shit myself if ford offered a FI coyote 10sp auto sedan. i would not be daily driving my mustang if ford offered any decent rwd v8 sedan

That's kind of what I'm saying, Conedodger. Not Falcon's platform, which is dated, but use the Mustang's platform. Borrowing the Falcon's redundant architecture would be wasting what you already have.

Fusion ST and Taurus are not global and they're not RWD. "High Performance" is relative. Having ~350-400hp is not high performance when others are pushing well over 500hp.

KIA and Hyundai have a RWD, so do most of the main players from Japan, Germany, and the US, and most of these products are presented as prestige/luxury vehicles which separate them from the lower-spec siblings and act as flagships in most cases.

The bonus here in using Mustang's platform is to help spread costs because as mentioned in the opening post the pony car segment looks like it's diminishing. This would actually help Mustang's viability in the future.

Doing this would also bring it in line with every other Ford platform in the sense that you have several body types sharing the same basic architecture.

A good example is Alpha-based Camaro. Borrowing what was already there from Cadillac would mean Camaro's budget was less than Mustang's, or, they could afford to increase it's budget and add features over it's competitor.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
I wish they would have offered the Falcon with 5.0 here.

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon