Sponsored

Expanding Mustang's platform

Should Ford build a sedan off Mustang's platform?

• Yes

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • No

Votes: 119 66.1%

• Total voters

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mopar will have something for you in 2021. See Alfa Giulia but with a Hemi and Dodge styling.
Hell I'd consider throwing a deposit down on the Alfa if I could get it with a manual.
Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Mopar will have something for you in 2021. See Alfa Giulia but with a Hemi and Dodge styling.
The current 4-door Dodge Charger has NEVER been offered with a MANUAL, so what makes you think an Alfa Giulia based one will offer a manual ??

If I prefered A/T over M/T and wanted a RWD (or AWD) 4-door, I'd likely of been driving a Charger since whenever the current Mercedes based chassis version came out.

Doug

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Although Mustang's leading the sales charts in it's segment this isn't totally good news as it seems the segment is suffering compared to previous years. Luckily Ford banked on selling this globally so that helps a bit.

Should Ford exploit Mustang's platform and build a 2+2 sedan? Not a Mustang with four doors, but a complete new top hat with it's own, new name.
Well you can see what Audi does with their A5/S5 coupe. They have another version of it called the Sportback.

A5/S5
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/2018-audi-a5-s5-redesign-powertrains/

A5/S5 Sportback
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/2018-audi-a5-s5-sportbacks-9745-america/

The new A5/S5/Sportbacks are based on the new A4 architecture/platform. So not only do they have a A4/S4 4 door sedan, they then went and made not only their A5/S5 2 door coupe of this architecture, they made 4 door version of it (but different enough)...so right there you kinda have overlap but supposedly they have no issues selling any of these.

I mean it's basically what you are saying but backwards. They took the A4 and made their 2 door coupe off it and made the A5. Basically Ford could do the same and go the other way and make a 4 door off the Mustang but like many have said it would then start going into the Fusion/Focus area.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The A5 is based on the MLB chassis which, along with the A5, underpins:

A4
Q5
A6
A7
A8
Porsche Macan
Q7

So yeah, platform sharing is a great way to cut costs and also to give your "lesser" product a great platform.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
The current 4-door Dodge Charger has NEVER been offered with a MANUAL, so what makes you think an Alfa Giulia based one will offer a manual ??

If I prefered A/T over M/T and wanted a RWD (or AWD) 4-door, I'd likely of been driving a Charger since whenever the current Mercedes based chassis version came out.

Doug
Giulia itself isn't offered with M/T in the US... so that's highly questionable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Falc'man

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
[MENTION=28374]jpindustrie[/MENTION] judging by the votes you're not in the minority.

Well you can see what Audi does with their A5/S5 coupe. They have another version of it called the Sportback.

A5/S5
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/2018-audi-a5-s5-redesign-powertrains/

A5/S5 Sportback
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/2018-audi-a5-s5-sportbacks-9745-america/

The new A5/S5/Sportbacks are based on the new A4 architecture/platform. So not only do they have a A4/S4 4 door sedan, they then went and made not only their A5/S5 2 door coupe of this architecture, they made 4 door version of it (but different enough)...so right there you kinda have overlap but supposedly they have no issues selling any of these.

I mean it's basically what you are saying but backwards. They took the A4 and made their 2 door coupe off it and made the A5. Basically Ford could do the same and go the other way and make a 4 door off the Mustang but like many have said it would then start going into the Fusion/Focus area.
The A5 is based on the MLB chassis which, along with the A5, underpins:

A4
Q5
A6
A7
A8
Porsche Macan
Q7

So yeah, platform sharing is a great way to cut costs and also to give your "lesser" product a great platform.

Yes and yes, which is why 00's post has sparked my curiosity. With such a platform, though, the long hood/sort deck proportions could be compromised and if that were to be the case I'd change my stance on this question.

The S650 will be on a new global platform, covering many and varied bodies. Almost like the old chassis running gear with coach build body on top.

Keeps the costs down and allows Ford to compete.

In the UK Fords are the best selling cars, in the USA is it not Japanese cars you prefer?

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
ford_mustang_sedan_by_x_tomi-d6wusqb.jpg

2018-ford-mustang-sedan.jpg

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
My eyes are burning...

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Frankly the Germanic way now of the original 4 door, then the differentiated 2 door, and then the 4 door based on that one just doesn't work outside of their realm. I think Cadillac is seeing that and will learn the hard way as upper GM brass have double down on this strategy.

Fact of the matter is a 4 door will compromise the 2 doors/mustang packaging. The interior placement and seating position wouldn't be the same. I've always likened the mustang body and chassis to a one off duesenberg coupe and speedsters... long hood short deck, crazy sitting position for a TV dinner price... that's the formula

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The segment isn't really doing that badly, is it? Obviously it's not selling 500K in a year like in the 60s anymore, but it's still doing pretty well, and last I checked, there wasn't any significant downward trend for the last couple decades for the Mustang.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
If they could expand the lineup to include a light weight pony car, I think they would sell even more. ;)

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The segment isn't really doing that badly, is it? Obviously it's not selling 500K in a year like in the 60s anymore, but it's still doing pretty well, and last I checked, there wasn't any significant downward trend for the last couple decades for the Mustang.
The numbers never tell the whole story with "aspirational" models like the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Viper, etc.

These cars add value by changing the public's perception of the brand. The Mustang is nearly universally seen as stylish and "cool." So long as there's a sleek V8 coupe in the show room, people are less inclined to think of a derpy Fiesta when they think of the Ford brand.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Exactly... even more of a reason to not change the formula and go full steam ahead.

otherwise we would just have the Lincoln LS over and over and over ... each chasing that dream that in reality a hopped up FWD Taurus SHO already achieved back in 1995 ...
Sponsored