FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum so hi to everyone!

I appreciate there’s already many threads on exhausts but here’s my personal dilemma.

My requirement is an exhaust that’s loud enough to turn the heads of any car guys I pass, but not so loud that my neighbours totally hate me! I prefer a more of an old school V8 burble. Also, ideally one that wouldn’t get me in trouble with a Ford warranty claim if I needed to make one (but I appreciate that can be down to individual dealers interpretation of the T&Cs).

Anyway, I’ve narrowed my options down to a Sports or Touring Borla (or Ford Performance badged equivalent) in either Cat or Axle back Configuration. Would the S model be too loud or the T too quiet?

Also, as a slightly left of field option, I was wondering about the Sutton dual exhaust which comes as a cat back or ‘Resonator back’ system (i.e it starts just behind the original resonator if you don’t buy the Sutton X Pipe). These are U.K. made but I’ve only heard clips where the car has a whole load of other performance mods.

I know this is totally subjective, but I’d appreciate feedback from anyone familiar with these Borla or Sutton systems.

Cheers
David
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Exactly the same situation here, borla touring seems to work for me. Mbrp sounds nice too. Alternative option is the gt101 h pipe with the standard exhaust would make it more deep sounding

LewisL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lewis
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT Shadow Edition S550
Borla S Type Cat back

Sounds epic and cruising speeds is no louder than standard exhaust inside the cabin

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Welcome to the forum!

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of the Borla systems, all of them are great sounding to my ears. For me, the Ford Performance variants had just a little more of a racy roar to them over the Borlas own version. I have the FP Borla Touring cat back set up and i really do adore it! I oretty much had the same concerns ad you. When it’s warmed up it’s hardly louder than stock when you’re just pootling around, but when you get on it it really crackles and sounds awesome.

Sadly I don’t have any video clips to share but easy to find them on YouTube.

OP
OP
FAB Cruiser

FAB Cruiser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Thanks. So I’ve just been comparing the Borla and FP by Borla branded Touring systems.

It looks like the Borla version comes with a resonator but the FP version has an X Pipe making it a bit louder. Is that correct?

Cheers
David

Sponsored

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The Borla S Type is louder, if you check out CJ Pony parts video on the exhaust he'll explain that as it is a little confusing. Basically Borla did a version for Ford performance which is called the Sport, Borla then did there version which was called the S Type, the S Type is just a little deeper and louder. Hope this helps.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
P.S. The way to tell the difference is by the exhaust tips, the S Type has rounded ends where as the Ford Performance one has sharp ends.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Oh and the S Type has an X pipe as well, it's the Touring that has the H pipe, both do away with the mid resonator.

blueboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barrie
Vehicle(s)
Dib GT and vw transporter
I have the Borla touring, it has a resonator just smaller than the standard one. No drone, it's certainly loud when you floor it and it sounds great when just pootling around. I get my wife to pick me up in it sometimes and it sounds great coming down the road.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The Borla Touring with the associated resonator ie. no h/x pipe is plenty loud enough (turns heads without being OTT) and gives a great muscle car burble.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Borla touring, it has a resonator just smaller than the standard one. No drone, it's certainly loud when you floor it and it sounds great when just pootling around. I get my wife to pick me up in it sometimes and it sounds great coming down the road.
Both said similar points at the same time!

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Take that back then about the Touring being an H pipe only, seem to recall now they did one with a resonator which was toned down even more......my advice if not given already go to a meet at least you'll get a better idea then. Videos never do justice.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, ideally one that wouldn’t get me in trouble with a Ford warranty claim if I needed to make one (but I appreciate that can be down to individual dealers interpretation of the T&Cs).
If you're concerned by warranty go with cat back as not cutting anything and keep the old exhaust so can whip it back on if needed

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
Lol I removed the resonator from mine as it was too quiet swapped it out for an x pipe after about 300 miles lol Ford Performance quad tip by Borla

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your spoiler tells us you're not someone that wants to travel without maximum attention, so it probably was too quiet! :)

And good luck to you!
Sponsored