Sponsored

Exhaust cam phaser bolts

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cleaning my cam phasers and found the exhaust cam phasers to be LH thread. What is everyone doing for those? Reuse them?
Sponsored

OP
OP
xgxbulletxgx

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I called ARP and MMR and nobody makes LH thread bolts for them, before anyone suggests that.

OP
OP
xgxbulletxgx

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The outside bolts. Thereā€™s 6 of them. I got all the arp hardware and had no idea the exhaust phaser ones are left hand thread. I almost stripped them thinking they were tight. Then I decided to turn one the other way and lone behold they turn the opposite way of the intake phaser boltsšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

OP
OP
xgxbulletxgx

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd get new OE bolts personally
Happen to have a part number? I would gladly if I could find some. But I was told you have to buy new phasers to get them.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
BUMP old thread.

ive Run into this , brought new arp hardware that you only use half the packet. Due to the need of left hand thread on exaust phasers.

Whatā€™s the solution ??? Ford doesnā€™t sell the boltsā€¦ā€¦ Who sells the left hand thread ones ?? I just can not find anything.

EDIT. The 6 outer bolts. I removed the broken one after my brain fart.

cheers

Tim

IMG_1836.jpeg

Last edited:

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They must have changed that on the Gen3's. I didn't run into that issue. That absolutely sucks. I would contact MMR or Modular Head Shop and see what solutions they have. They have to have something.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Whats the point in taking them apart? I was planning on cleaning mine after a rod bearing failure but then ran into this and they look complicated af so I just bought new ones haha.

Don't know of any ford documents on rebuilding them. Lots of small pieces in them...

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Only the 3 center ones need to come out to swap the phaser. I donā€™t think many people rebuild the phaser since theyā€™re pretty cheap with some delicate parts inside.

Sponsored

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Gen 1 and gen3 are all normal thread. Gen2 ā€¦.. some ford genius decided to make exhaust sides LH thread for no apparent reason.
over the last few days multiple emails , also contacted engine builders whom have snapped bolts like meā€¦.end up at the same result.
order new phasersā€¦ā€¦ so Iā€™ve ordered M-6004-A50R , GT350 performance ones With better sealing.

there not to complicated , and as you can see this is the result of cleaning one phaser. Plenty of carbon and powered metal from engine killing itself. The cam filters can only catch so much and i didnt want to run the risk of any crap getting into new sleeved , built motor.

so probably best to have new ones anyway.

IMG_1839.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good to know the Gen 2s are the odd man out here. So with the newer revised ones they will have the correct thread pitch?

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Thatā€™s a Good question. Iā€™d probably say no , Iā€™d assume they would stick to there manufacturing same process.
I wonā€™t be fukin around with them to find out haha.
Sponsored