Sponsored

Ewheels Road Course Build

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
The Toyo RR and Nitto NT01 are practically the same tire, difference being the pattern. I want to say they're owned by the same company, which mean they're even more than practically identical. If you're trying to get consistency, honest, there's no better tire. Your 1st HC is the same as your 24th, and they are consistent throughout the whole session, not falling off or heating up like a much faster A7 or 3R would, and if you're not competing for times, why go broke for those sweet HPDE trophies? There are plenty of people saying they set a PB on the tire when the cords were showing, and until I bumped up my tire game, same held true. Going big is not going too expensive, while they did just jack up pricing end of January (like everybody else) a fatboy 315/30/18 is still like 2/3 of what an A7 is, and 1/2 of what a Michelin S8M is, but only 2-5 seconds off, depending on the course. The sticky tires shine in the lateral grip on hard turns, but on straightaways, it's all gone.

Also, setting the record straight, Kevin may have won an event on RR's, but I won NASA TT :D
Thanks dude!

Makes the 295 RR even more attractive for the price since Iā€™m only doing hpdeā€™s.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So who is your bestest vendor?

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
So who is your bestest vendor?
TrackDayTire
or your regular Tirerack
but Track Day Tire is highly incentivized through NASA events

The Toyo RR and Nitto NT01 are practically the same tire, difference being the pattern. I want to say they're owned by the same company, which mean they're even more than practically identical. If you're trying to get consistency, honest, there's no better tire. Your 1st HC is the same as your 24th, and they are consistent throughout the whole session, not falling off or heating up like a much faster A7 or 3R would, and if you're not competing for times, why go broke for those sweet HPDE trophies? There are plenty of people saying they set a PB on the tire when the cords were showing, and until I bumped up my tire game, same held true. Going big is not going too expensive, while they did just jack up pricing end of January (like everybody else) a fatboy 315/30/18 is still like 2/3 of what an A7 is, and 1/2 of what a Michelin S8M is, but only 2-5 seconds off, depending on the course. The sticky tires shine in the lateral grip on hard turns, but on straightaways, it's all gone.

Also, setting the record straight, Kevin may have won an event on RR's, but I won NASA TT :D
Lol, my bad good sir! Not trying to take away your hard-earned glory.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

How do they hold in terms of wear?

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
How do they hold in terms of wear?
Great, as in, the 1st heat cycle performance/times are just about the same as the 20-24th cycles. Downside is, that they're all relatively slow, but if you're not really going for lap times and concentrating on car setup, driver development, or just seat time, it's hard to beat. 20+ Heat Cycles on a heavy car is something you don't often get. Hoosiers/Slicks are maybe 8, R-Compound 12-15, and then there's these. If you run 4 HC's an event, lasting 3 full weekends or 6 events really helps stretch the dollar if you're a track rat.

Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
it still needs the obligatory pre-heat +24hr wait?
I mean, there's nothing saying you can't run them back to back, but I generally try to do it. I believe in the science of it, because a never run tire and a once run tire look and feel so drastically different.

Depending on the manufacturer, they will straight up tell you that you have to. If that's something that's going to be a challenge/pain, it might be worth checking with your distributor to whether they do heat cycling services. I try to grab an HPDE weekend sometime before, show up on my cycled out race scrubs, and bring another set of wheels with the fresh set for a quick half-session... or if they've got a test n' tune on Friday before a race weekend, get a few in the morning so that they're good for the Saturday.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I realized I never wrote up anything about my last track day on this forum. I had just started a new job and didn't have much time for this. Wanted to backtrack for completeness...

Sunday 12/12/21
The Super GT Cup finale back at Buttonwillow. I think this is my favorite track in Socal. Mustangs aren't the best for it as it favors light weight, nimble cars but it really challenges me as a driver. With very few straights between corners, there's very little room for error. If you mess up one corner, it'll throw off your line for the next corner, and so forth. Loads of fun though!

To preface this experience, I had put in several hours on the SIM I recently purchased. To keep it as realistic as I could, I used a Mustang on the same course. I think it helped a lot to really dial in the perfect line and practice where to position the car for each corner.

Anyway, previous time at Buttonwillow was 2:07 on a very hot day.
First session out, I get another 2:07. A little disappointing but my first sessions are usually messy as I get back into the swing of things.
The SIM helped me notice that I drive MUCH better when I'm calm and focused. The more excited or anxious I get, the worse I drive.
For the second session, I really tried to empty my mind and calm myself down.....2:05!
Still some mistakes were made, still not exactly calm but improving.
Third session: really tried to focus on the next corner for each corner I was in.....2:03!!
Took 2 seconds off each time I went out! Great, great feeling!
Now sub-2:00 is/was the goal and I couldn't help but think if I had one more session, I could get 2:01 but it is what it is.
I noticed that I am god-awful at shifting or the stock shifter is garbage. I was missing shifts like no tomorrow. Not exactly sure the root cause. I remember at one point, I really focused on shifting more slowly and smoothly and it definitely improved, which leads me to think it is all user error. Either way, I have a Steeda Shifter Bracket sitting in the garage that needs to go in before the next event.

Also, a friend of mine came to this event in his BRZ for his very first ever track day. I got the opportunity to coach him (not sure how much help I was) and it was really interesting to see things from that point of view. To sit passenger and share the experience of a first-timer, it was very cool!
Also, BRZ/FRS/86's are so damn balanced!! I mean, slow and not a lot of lateral grip on stock tires but so damn neutral!

As for the car, I think I have some air in my brakes from the line replacement. Going to do a hefty bleed.
Having the rear seats now gone for the roll bar, there is an absurd amount of buffeting. Need to address that as well...

Next event is back at Autoclub in a couple weeks. Trying Toyo RR tires for the first time and going to get dyno'ed and weighed for TT prep. Been dragging my feet a bit on that front but I'm nowhere close to the TT3 limits or lap times so I wasn't in any rush.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I think @EIGHTLUG has or is coming up with something for the buffeting. At least thatā€™s what I think I saw on his IG a couple weeks ago.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think @EIGHTLUG has or is coming up with something for the buffeting. At least thatā€™s what I think I saw on his IG a couple weeks ago.
I heard the same thing.
I think I'll go with @Scootsmcgreggor plan though. Bent ABS and double sided tape

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what's the rationale for leaving windows open?

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what's the rationale for leaving windows open?
We don't have any say in it, required by track orgs and certainly race orgs. I'm guessing if something bad happens, all the glass will mostly stay within the door.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah I wish we could run windows closed as is becoming more popular in Europe but no dice, most organizers here are stuck in their ways and ignoring new data showing that windows up can be just as safe if not moreso.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I wish we could run windows closed as is becoming more popular in Europe but no dice, most organizers here are stuck in their ways and ignoring new data showing that windows up can be just as safe if not moreso.
like the curtain airbags, I'm guessing they are more useful/effective with windows up. Though I'm certain they meet whatever specs they need to for open window mode.
Sponsored