Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
A peace offering? We come from different worlds i guess.
guess so. You are pretty elitist. Please tell us how to fix rims so we can get back on topic.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
You've had a bad experience running them?
It is to easy to damage them on the street, other drivers forcing you to not miss that pot hole, or something that fell off another vehicle.
Most tracks, there isn't pot holes, and Although you might find car parts on the track, you tend to not have other vehicles blocking the veiw of it. on the street most cars will clear it, on the track any car blocking your view of it, will shovel it out of the way, from the front air dam or splitter, or flat our punt the object . The short life span before they are unsafe to run is another.
I mean all out race effort, go for it, a street based track car that the tub isn't carbon fiber it is kinda silly, The difference of un-sprung weight isn't enough to make up for the limits of the vehicles heft loading on the tire patch.
But it sounds cool to tell others you have carbon fiber wheels.
All out race efforts, these wheels are inspected closely or replaced after x laps. Because when you don't just hitting the tracks turn rumble curb/strip can shatter them.
When someone else id funding the effort (sponsors) who cares if they need to be inspected and or replaced.
When you are the one footing the bill, and a highway rumble strip takes out a wheel. get out the water cooled wallet.

Last edited:

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
It is to easy to damage them on the street, other drivers forcing you to not miss that pot hole, or something that fell off another vehicle.
Most tracks, there isn't pot holes, and Although you might find car parts on the track, you tend to not have other vehicles blocking the veiw of it. on the street most cars will clear it, on the track any car blocking your view of it, will shovel it out of the way, from the front air dam or splitter, or flat our punt the object . The short life span before they are unsafe to run is another.
I mean all out race effort, go for it, a street based track car that the tub isn't carbon fiber it is kinda silly, The difference of un-sprung weight isn't enough to make up for the limits of the vehicles heft loading on the tire patch.
All out race efforts, these wheels are inspected closely or replaced after x laps. Because when you don't just hitting the tracks turn rumble curb/strip can shatter them.
When someone else id funding the effort (sponsors) who cares if they need to be inspected and or replaced.
When you are the one footing the bill, and a highway rumble strip takes out a wheel. get out the water cooled wallet.
Lets be realistic here. How many rims do you think have been damaged off track? of all the cars(GT350 incuded) have actually damaged the rims beside user error(Curbing etc). In this case it was an error via closeness to a curb. I get the issues with deep potholes but the fear in this post seems over the top.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Lets be realistic here. How many rims do you think have been damaged off track? of all the cars(GT350 incuded) have actually damaged the rims beside user error(Curbing etc). In this case it was an error via closeness to a curb. I get the issues with deep potholes but the fear in this post seems over the top.
If they were being damaged that easily, I wonder why we don’t see them up for sale on a regular basis? Seems like @Tomster would have completed his extra set a long time ago if the classified ads were littered with damaged wheels from street driving accidents

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If they were being damaged that easily, I wonder why we don’t see them up for sale on a regular basis?
what percentage of GT350/500 owners are on this forum? 0.01%?

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many drive their cars, and then how many drive them hard.
Most live a sheltered, pampered life.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If they were being damaged that easily, I wonder why we don’t see them up for sale on a regular basis? Seems like @Tomster would have completed his extra set a long time ago if the classified ads were littered with damaged wheels from street driving accidents
Yes, not that common on the open market. They do come up, but the supply has been very dry lately.

Back to the worst nighmare scenario, I am reporting that every wheel I have bought that had damage was repaired. Even ugly pot hole damage was repaired to like new.

My argument is that aluminum wheels are not really the answer if street damage is your concern. With aluminum wheels, The finish cannot be replicated to match, and severe damage cannot be repaired. On the other hand it has been demonstrated that CF is much more forgiving than aluminum post damage event.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I personally have them on my car and run them on the street. I treat them like any other aftermarket wheel by knowing the roads I'm driving on, avoiding pot holes, and being cautious when parking next to a curb. This is the same way I went about when running HREs on my old 96 Cobra. Yes the wheels are expensive, but they've been tested to OEM standards otherwise they wouldn't be on the car.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally have them on my car and run them on the street. I treat them like any other aftermarket wheel by knowing the roads I'm driving on, avoiding pot holes, and being cautious when parking next to a curb. This is the same way I went about when running HREs on my old 96 Cobra. Yes the wheels are expensive, but they've been tested to OEM standards otherwise they wouldn't be on the car.
Try that on roads with traffic that you can't dodge a pot hole.
If folks want to drive at 40-75 mph on public roads on fiber wheels, who am I to stop them. That isn't what they are designed for. Roads in your area might be great, That isn't the case everywhere, and road trips that you don't know where the potholes are already come up fast at 55mph+ with traffic blocking your view of them.
I'd not use them other than track events, but that is my opinion. yours maybe different.

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
This is unfortunate but people should be claiming this damage on the auto insurance imo.
i will give it a try, i guess I would try a comprehensive claim. But at the same time im not sure if theyd consider it a wheel and tire issue which they may not pay for? im not sure i havent had any experience with claims. not sure how rates go up if a claim is attempted then denied, whether its collision or comprehensive. i guess its time to learn! lol

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
i will give it a try, i guess I would try a comprehensive claim. But at the same time im not sure if theyd consider it a wheel and tire issue which they may not pay for? im not sure i havent had any experience with claims. not sure how rates go up if a claim is attempted then denied, whether its collision or comprehensive. i guess its time to learn! lol
Comprehensive claims do not affect your rates like collision does since comp claims are considered "acts of god" therefore out of your control.