Every CFTP Owner's Worst Nightmare

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
Frank is swamped. The wheel can be repaired. Get it fixed and keep it as a spare should it happen again. Its not a big deal, but due to covid, frank is understaffed and he's doing the best he can.
yes i figured that was the case based on so many situations in all industries (especially California). I have been patient with him and have not complained or bombarded him, plus he is doing me big service by fixing it, where not many people can! I am in no rush, just patiently waiting.
Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
a video on how they can be repaired would be very helpful. I unfortunately had an issue with my front CF wheel. a rock got caught in between the caliper and barrel and damaged the wheel slightly enough to cause it to leak air. I feel this shouldn't happen with such an expensive piece of equipment. These tires are so sticky they pick up everything on the road and shoot them through the wheel well. I would say what happened to me is uncommon, and was disappointed it wasn't covered by warranty. My dealer did help me and sold me the wheel for $4400 as they originally thought it would be a warranty claim as well. My next step is to contact Spyder Composites but they have been slow to respond. After the repair im not sure whether i will keep the wheel or sell it. i could probably get my money back for it? but we shal see.

If anyone wants to see pics of the incident i can post them as well

Can’t you claim this under you car insurance comprehensive policy ?

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
Can’t you claim this under you car insurance comprehensive policy ?
i guess maybe i should try but i felt like it would fall under wheel and tire ? what would i even say to them?

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
It absolutely is a warranty claim but Ford would lose their ass if they honored it. So they stuff you instead.
Why do you think this is a warrenty item? Yes I get that a pebble getting logged in somewhere is an issue but why it that on Ford? So damage from stones is Fords fault? I bet this is an issue with many cars that have small clearances between the rim and caliper.

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
Why do you think this is a warrenty item? Yes I get that a pebble getting logged in somewhere is an issue but why it that on Ford? So damage from stones is Fords fault? I bet this is an issue with many cars that have small clearances between the rim and caliper.
its a design flaw in my opinion making it prone to damages and failures. maybe this is a one in a million thing? but maybe its more common then you'd expect. i feel like operating the vehicle in normal conditions on pavement should not cause any failures. that's just my take. I'm not livid about the situation because the dealer helped on on the price of the new wheel, but I'm just mostly disappointed. if my dealer didn't help me out id have made the car sit while I ship the wheel off for repair which would take who knows how long. or would have to put air in the tires daily until wintertime, then send it off

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...its a design flaw in my opinion making it prone to damages and failures.
Can you be more specific as to how this is a flaw in the design?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
why it that on Ford? So damage from stones is Fords fault?
absolutely. they made a STUPID design choice and instead of eating the consequences, they are foisting them on you. 1/2" reduction in dinner plate rotor is not a worthwhile real-world distinction where it concerns performance.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
absolutely. they made a STUPID design choice and instead of eating the consequences, they are foisting them on you. 1/2" reduction in dinner plate rotor is not a worthwhile real-world distinction where it concerns performance.
So I guess Lamborghini is stupid also? Seems not much room between the rim and caliper
orghini-aventador-lp-700-4-at-singapore-yacht-show.jpg

How about Porsche?
394727676-18-wheels-to-clear-380mm-brakes-img_0744.jpg

Mclaren stupid?
ED8KRW.jpg

I bet Ferrari is smart and wouldn't do this also.

DOH!
C99K57.jpg

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
After reading about this inherent design flaw which seems to be industry wide.... I took matters into my own hands and designed out the defect.
Here are my new rotors and wheels for my Shelby:

rotor.jpg

I had to peel off the unsightly warning label that was attached to the inside of the rim which read: "WARNING - STANDARD SIZE BRICKS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE IF LODGED BETWEEN ROTOR AND RIM."

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't happen to own a Lambo so haven't navigated their warranty/support maze. Lambo/Ferrari et. al. have a couple extra zeros attached to the price tag and cover 1/1000 as many miles as a GT350/500 would I should think.

Disks so big gravel gets trapped and damages/destroys rims is nothing but big-swinging-disk envy. It's beyond stupid. I wonder what the barrel clearance is on IMSA Lambo Cup cars is. Then again those wheels only stay on for 40 minutes at a time.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I don't happen to own a Lambo so haven't navigated their warranty/support maze. Lambo/Ferrari et. al. have a couple extra zeros attached to the price tag and cover 1/1000 as many miles as a GT350/500 would I should think.

Disks so big gravel gets trapped and damages/destroys rims is nothing but big-swinging-disk envy. It's beyond stupid. I wonder what the barrel clearance is on IMSA Lambo Cup cars is. Then again those wheels only stay on for 40 minutes at a time.
You do own a Gm Product so I wonder if they would cover a stone getting in between these?
Used-2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-3ZR-wZTK-Weapon-X-X900-Package-Stage-3-RARE-Low-Mile-ZR1.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You do own a Gm Product so I wonder if they would cover a stone getting in between these?
Used-2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-3ZR-wZTK-Weapon-X-X900-Package-Stage-3-RARE-Low-Mile-ZR1.jpg
did own - sold for a handsome profit. Looking at MY22 or MY23 to get back in. I had oodles of clearance between my caliper and 19" (one size smaller than stock) rims.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
did own - sold for a handsome profit. Looking at MY22 or MY23 to get back in. I had oodles of clearance between my caliper and 19" (one size smaller than stock) rims.
Glad you made some money. How about you answer the question?
Sponsored