Sponsored

Engine start/stop

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Thanks. Well there you go. Obviously it is possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
From the manual.
That was the exact section I couldn't nderstand. It's titled "stopping the engine when your vehicle is moving" and then gives instructions that require stopping the vehicle. So that doesn't make sense.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Yea, I agree. But it says you can do it somehow lol

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
That was the exact section I couldn't nderstand. It's titled "stopping the engine when your vehicle is moving" and then gives instructions that require stopping the vehicle. So that doesn't make sense.
It's think it's pretty clear.

If you push the start/stop button while the engine is running the engine will stop and you will lose power steering and power brakes. The steering wheel will not lock. Once you've pulled over safely and activated the parking brake push the button again for 1 second or 3 times in under 2 seconds to lock the steering wheel.

IOW, when you push the button while the vehicle is moving, you turn off the engine and put the vehicle into an intermediate mode that allows the safe recovery of the vehicle. Once you've stopped the vehicle safely you press the button again to put the vehicle fully into the off state.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
It's think it's pretty clear.

If you push the start/stop button while the engine is running the engine will stop and you will lose power steering and power brakes. The steering wheel will not lock. Once you've pulled over safely and activated the parking brake push the button again for 1 second or 3 times in under 2 seconds to lock the steering wheel.

IOW, when you push the button while the vehicle is moving, you turn off the engine and put the vehicle into an intermediate mode that allows the safe recovery of the vehicle. Once you've stopped the vehicle safely you press the button again to put the vehicle fully into the off state.
I don't see anything in the manual that supports what you are saying.

They would not allow the engine to shut down while the car is in motion if you simply press the button a single time. It would be far too easy to accidentally turn off the engine. That would cause the same kind of recall issues that GM is facing with their ignition switch.

The only way you would be able to turn off the car while in motion is with some sort of deliberate sequence of presses (such as a single long press or several rapid presses within a small time window, which is what is decribed in the manual after the part about first stopping the car).

My belief is that the manual talks about stopping the car as a CYA. In reality, if you hold the botton or press it several times, the engine will shut down when the car is moving. This is also what Toyota has done in response to their "unintended acceleration" issue from a while ago.

Will be interesting to play around with the system and see how it really behaves.

-T

Sponsored

EiBStudent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta
On Fords you normally have to hold the button down for 3-5 seconds to force a shutoff while moving and shift in to neutral and holding down again will re-start it. They never shut off with one button press, you have to be deliberate.

Trevon

97 Hummer, 15 GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Recaro
I don't get it? Is shutting down the engine something you normally do? And I can never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever remember randomly/accidentally hitting buttons on my dashboard.

This just seems like another non-issue that is "making headlines."

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Evidently since the push button start began a few years ago on most newer higher end cars it's such an issue that I have never, not even once heard of someone accidentally doing it or seen any tragic news stories about it.
I don't know, maybe they keep that stuff hush. It's all about the button man.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I don't think there is a significant issue. Someone asked how you might shut off the engine if you needed to and we all know there is a way, it's just that the manual isn't totally clear what that way is.

Toyota was under the spotlight because people didn't know how to turn off the car when their accelerators got stuck. Apparently shifting to neutral is not common sense in those situations.

I do think accidentally turning off the car could be a problem if it was possible with just a single bump, but that's why you need something more deliberate.

-T

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see anything in the manual that supports what you are saying.

They would not allow the engine to shut down while the car is in motion if you simply press the button a single time. It would be far too easy to accidentally turn off the engine. That would cause the same kind of recall issues that GM is facing with their ignition switch.

The only way you would be able to turn off the car while in motion is with some sort of deliberate sequence of presses (such as a single long press or several rapid presses within a small time window, which is what is decribed in the manual after the part about first stopping the car).

My belief is that the manual talks about stopping the car as a CYA. In reality, if you hold the botton or press it several times, the engine will shut down when the car is moving. This is also what Toyota has done in response to their "unintended acceleration" issue from a while ago.

Will be interesting to play around with the system and see how it really behaves.

-T
Did you not see the page from the manual that DevineStrike posted? Go back a page in this thread. Find the picture and read the section called "Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is moving."

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I don't get it? Is shutting down the engine something you normally do? And I can never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever remember randomly/accidentally hitting buttons on my dashboard.

This just seems like another non-issue that is "making headlines."
As far as randomly hitting buttons, yes, it's happened that I've tried to change the voume and instead changed the climate control because I'm keeping my eyes on the road and tried to adjust by feel.

As far as the other, yes, it's happened that I've had accelerators get stuck and had to shift into neutral and then kill the engine at speed (usually in carbuerated cars, but I'd like to know what to do in such a circumstance just in case). And if you've never had an engine stall while moving and had to restart it without coming to a complete stop because you're in traffic or the middle of an intersection, congrats on never having driven an old car. Although I suppose that's less of a concern with electric power steering where a turn doesn't put extra strain on the engine driving the hydraulic pump to potentially cause a stall.

Magmetallic15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt, 2005 Mustang GT
I have a 2013 Ford Focus with push button start/stop. You do not have to have the car in park to stop the engine. I accidentally pushed the stop button with the car in reverse and the engine shut off. The car gave off a warning chime until I placed it in Park.

ML

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's an electronically controlled button so they can easily program it to be inactive when the car is above 5 MPH and/or the brake pedal isn't depressed.

(Aww, I hate it when brake pedals get depressed. It's a shame.)

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Alright, who's got a new Ford with push button that's willing to take one for the team?? Would you mind just getting her up to about 60 and then pushing your engine start/stop button for us? That would be swell.
Sponsored