Sponsored

Educate me guys - Anti Roll Bars

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'm very surprised that only a few people have mentioned upgrading the shocks and struts. The dampers on these cars are mediocre at best with the stock springs and need to be upgraded any time the springs are changed.
Most certainly, or even on OEM springs.

Bar and damper adjustments are a different tuning tool for a different problem, however.
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Most certainly, or even on OEM springs.

Bar and damper adjustments are a different tuning tool for a different problem, however.
I'm just thinking that the OP is already planning to change the springs, bars are nice but dampers are a "while you're in there" thing.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just thinking that the OP is already planning to change the springs, bars are nice but dampers are a "while you're in there" thing.
bars can be changed without changing anything else and bigger front bar helps even with the stock suspension obviously with some limitation. I'm surprised no one mentioned that it's good to have new stronger endlinks if you are upgrading the bar. Mine with the stock suspension handle great when I added Steeda front SwayBar. However Shocks and Springs are needed for sure for this car if you want it to not feel like jellow when pushed.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What bnighstar said - bars (especially rear) is significantly way less work than changing dampers. With front struts you have to deal with spring compressor (not everyone is comfortable with it) and do an alignment after.

Also second the links - front ones will likely bend / buckle with stiffer bar, mine did.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can get a Performance alignment for road course track action street handling Fun etc.. Notice, i said i got it Done for what “I” want to use my car for not what you want to use your car for.
Just a suggestion, but if you're going to post a suspension tuning suggestion that's specifically aimed at drag racing, you really should make it clear that that's what you're using it for. Simply calling it a 'performance alignment' isn't nearly good enough in this particular instance.

Some of us can figure out pretty quickly from the numbers what the purpose of those alignment settings of yours was, but my money is on most people not being able to (and not through any fault of theirs, either).

Norm

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Did you look at where my car was before to where it is now? My new alignment made a world of difference even in turns but more so hooking at wot, Hence drag set up. At the top of my alignment page, you see the shop that actually specializes in performance alignments for road course, street, and drag racing preferences. If the changes that were made show improvements in drag, road course, and street it's a performance alignment.

Suggestion Denied!

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If the changes that were made show improvements in drag, road course, and street it's a performance alignment.

Suggestion Denied!
They only mean your previous alignment was complete shit. (which it actually was, I looked up your previous post).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Did you look at where my car was before to where it is now? My new alignment made a world of difference even in turns but more so hooking at wot, Hence drag set up. At the top of my alignment page, you see the shop that actually specializes in performance alignments for road course, street, and drag racing preferences. If the changes that were made show improvements in drag, road course, and street it's a performance alignment.
I did.

You went from something that was somewhat too understeerish (with a steering wheel that may have been just a tad off straight) to something that's inherently much "looser". While that may be making your car feel "nimble" in reasonably normal street driving, it's likely too close to oversteer for harder cornering. Or for a sudden emergency lane change. I have a hunch your car's AdvanceTrac may be in for a bit more exercise than it should have to . . .

More than a few mods and adjustments you would make to improve dragstrip performance come at some expense in corner-carving capability, and vice-versa.

Norm

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
They only mean your previous alignment was complete shit. (which it actually was, I looked up your previous post).
....and current one is no good for anything other than regular (not spirited cornering) street driving and drag racing. That's fine, but some optimized, mixed use alignment it is not. Trying to convince oneself otherwise is to deny how tires work and how a free body diagram works.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Its an alignment for a car who’s owner cares very little about cornering but loves 750 whp runs on the street and at the track.. can your street stang corner at 140mph? No it cant, but you can definitely hit 140mph+ in the 1/4 mile with the right power, suspension and sticky tires. To me thats a ton more fun then playing around on backroads trying to extort some kind of high from going around turns at more then usual speeds. We all have different ways of having fun & throwing my car into corner isn't fun to me. Maybe 1/4 runs at the track & nights out street racing in a straight line isn’t fun to you. To each his own.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Its an alignment for a car who’s owner cares very little about cornering
Is that why you're running your mouth in a thread about sway bars?

Nobody is knocking your car, if you want to build for the strip and realize your limitations on the street that's perfectly fine. The point here is that you should not blindly recommend your setup to somebody with a street driven car without explaining what it is for and what things they would need to be cautious about. That's a quick way to become another Mustang on Youtube.

Also, my car can corner at 140MPH with the stock suspension. Just not at the same radius that it can at 60MPH.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Its an alignment for a car who’s owner cares very little about cornering but loves 750 whp runs on the street and at the track drag strip.
As edited, that's the note you should have mentioned in the beginning.

I'm not going to get drawn into a pissing match over whether drag racing or road course running is inherently more fun than the other. That's not what a discussion of certain alignment settings and why you'd choose them is supposed to be about.

Norm

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
As edited, that's the note you should have mentioned in the beginning.

I'm not going to get drawn into a pissing match over whether drag racing or road course running is inherently more fun than the other. That's not what a discussion of certain alignment settings and why you'd choose them is supposed to be about.

Norm
You just reminded me of how I used to explain autox; it's like a road course without the long, boring straights.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also, my car can corner at 140MPH with the stock suspension. Just not at the same radius that it can at 60MPH.
If I was to take these cornering g's - made with true street tires, not some sticky track-specific rubber - and straighten it out to be forward acceleration . . .

15-2-4 T'bolt T12 TMO avatar5.jpg

I'd be driving a car that could do zero-to-60's at least as quick as down in the low threes, possibly down in the twos.

Norm

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Its an alignment for a car who’s owner cares very little about cornering but loves 750 whp runs on the street
That's cool, just don't call it anything other than a drag specific alignment. That's what it is. People talking about upgrading sway bars are looking for handling improvements. No one looking for that should have an alignment like yours, at least for the rear.
Sponsored