Edelbrock vs Gen 2 Whipple

Mcgyver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic 6 Spd Manual
I'm going to go on record with a prediction.....

I'm guessing the whipple will be a little faster,but the Edlebrock will feel better in terms of "seat of the pants".

I'm really interested in the outcome!
Grinning is’nt always winning! Traction will be the limiting factor- unless Burkey cheats and puts on more rubber!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Grinning is’nt always winning! Traction will be the limiting factor- unless Burkey cheats and puts on more rubber!
Spoiler Alert:
Traction has become a SIGNIFICANT issue. I may have to start doing logs in fourth...
(3rd gear pull below)
3D4C538F-31AE-458D-A025-DFD1740B0EED.jpeg
F45B5DCA-9A9A-4AE8-BD0B-7D2E7EFE45B3.jpeg

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Spoiler Alert:
Traction has become a SIGNIFICANT issue. I may have to start doing logs in fourth...
(3rd gear pull below)
3D4C538F-31AE-458D-A025-DFD1740B0EED.jpeg
F45B5DCA-9A9A-4AE8-BD0B-7D2E7EFE45B3.jpeg
:crackup: Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
:crackup: Welcome to the club!
It won’t be for everyone, but I f@*king LOVE it!
60mph ground speed with the tyres doing >100mph gets kinda sketchy.
More than a few times I’ve found myself shaking after driving it. Adrenaline FTW!

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm glad you have all the requisite IRS mods done already, tightening up the ass-end is an absolute must before adding power. There's a few dealerships in the US that install blowers on new cars and sell "700 hp" Mustangs without any other mods, it's a recipe for disaster IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad you have all the requisite IRS mods done already, tightening up the ass-end is an absolute must before adding power. There's a few dealerships in the US that install blowers on new cars and sell "700 hp" Mustangs without any other mods, it's a recipe for disaster IMO.
I totally agree.
A predictable car is an absolute necessity if you’re going to push it past the limits of traction.
I sometimes wonder if the drivers in the typical Mustang crash video are actually that bad or if the car is a serious part of the problem...:inspect:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The data is in!

Some quick points to cover off first though.

Fuel used for all runs is sub US 93 octane. Our Aussie fuel is somewhere around your 91-92 octane.

The Whipple runs are literally the BEST two runs I ever did with either tuner. Eg. Likely to be no passenger, cool day, etc etc.
Since those runs were done, I’ve fitted a Magnaflow 12469 muffler which Magnaflow insist won’t be a choke point, but I’m quite sure it is. Put simply, the Whipple had the advantage of a more free flowing exhaust.

The Edelbrock heatsoaked run was done in ambient temp of 88* (or very damn close to it), the car was driven for 10 minutes or so, then left in a sealed garage, hood down for an hour prior to the run. Basically trying to test the worth of the phenolic spacers. (I’m pretty sure they’re doing their job).

The 220lb run was done with a mate in the passenger seat (he’s a power lifter, big unit).
You can see what happens when I try and go WOT in cooler weather.
Still waiting for Tuner C (the false knock guy) to work out his tune. Early impressions are that it might be a smidge faster than Tuner B but nothing crazy.

You’ll notice that the data stops around 7,000rpm. That’s because I didn’t log every single Whipple run to 8k. Ergo, in order to use the quickest possible times recorded for the Whipple, I had to concede the last thousand rpm’s. Not happy with that? Fine, I’ll find the fastest run to 8k and show an even bigger gap between the two blowers at anything under 7k...
All logs commence at 3k but in each case, the car was WOT well before that. I shifted the data to 3k to avoid capturing the tip-in portion, which could skew the data slightly.

I’m pretty happy with it.
AF0F62F9-02A6-42E0-9316-DE00C61CDC65.jpeg

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok. I may not be the sharpest here, but what am I looking at? What do these lines represent?

I see the heat soaked run is the “highest” other than the crazy red line with the cool
Morning.

Throw me a bone...

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I may not be the sharpest here, but what am I looking at? What do these lines represent?

I see the heat soaked run is the “highest” other than the crazy red line with the cool
Morning.

Throw me a bone...
Ha ha.
Rpm on vertical axis, time on horizontal.
Crazy red line is typical of what happens when I try and datalog 3rd gear in cooler weather/less coarse road.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ah.. got it!

Nice!!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing too serious going on in this vid. It was mostly about capturing the passengers reaction (he’s spent a LOT of time in the car when it had the Whipple).
Also, LANGUAGE WARNING!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sounds so good!

I can hear the whine even! Do you have any whine mods done?

Love it! No waiting... power at your feet!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds so good!

I can hear the whine even! Do you have any whine mods done?

Love it! No waiting... power at your feet!
Cheers.
I have what you might call a stage 0.5 whine mod.
I bought the stage 1 kit from @Roh92cp (Foster mods) minus the holesaw/step drill/whatever he supplies. I really didn’t want to cut a hole in the firewall because of battery placement on RHD cars.
So, my setup consists of a piece of hose running from the airbox back to the stock black plastic elbow at the firewall. I’m sure it could easily be made louder if the right parts were used.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
EB for the win....
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt this graph show the whipple being a little faster?
Sponsored