Sponsored

ecoboost turbo lag?

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
is it me our does this car seem to have a good amount of turbo lag? would a tune get rid of some of this?
Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
I dont feel any turbo lag.. there is some drop off in boost in the higher rpms. This twin scroll turbo was designed by FORD to perform really well against turbo lag. As far as the higher rpms drop off a good tune will help that alot and a bigger turbo down the road once they start coming out with them will really make a huge difference! This car is going to be a beast in a couple years!

DeepImpact15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Deep Impact Blue Ecoboost
I think it may be just you. The small turbo in the Ecoboost spools up at a very low RPM. If you are looking for more throttle response look into a cat-less downpipe, a tune, and an intake.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
I'm not sure it's turbo lag (although there's a little).

I'm guessing you were driving an automatic? If so, I can second it has some lag in the normal driving mode. I need to try a premium in Track or Sport+ modes myself. I think that will help. Throttle response seems muted until you really get >50% of the pedal depressed and the auto has to think a bit before it decides to downshift, in my experience.

Voodoo Mamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP M/T
The thing is there are alot of variables with the EBM...
-87 or 93 Octane (270 vs 310 hp)
-Driving mode
-stock gears vs PP 3:55s
-Manual vs Auto
-Driver
and the combination of these

is it me our does this car seem to have a good amount of turbo lag? would a tune get rid of some of this?

Sponsored

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I'm not sure it's turbo lag (although there's a little).

I'm guessing you were driving an automatic? If so, I can second it has some lag in the normal driving mode. I need to try a premium in Track or Sport+ modes myself. I think that will help. Throttle response seems muted until you really get >50% of the pedal depressed and the auto has to think a bit before it decides to downshift, in my experience.
I can third that. When in normal drive mode and you floor it the car takes a second to think then downshifts. When in sport mode the car performs better.

OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I drove a Eco premium. The car was manual. Just felt like it had some lag in the low rpms. Mind you this is going to be my 1st turbo car so I'm not familar with how turbos work

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can third that. When in normal drive mode and you floor it the car takes a second to think then downshifts. When in sport mode the car performs better.
I have a manual and dont feel any of that..so there's probably a difference. with that being said my 13 WRX with manual had plenty of turbo lag! FORD still made a good system in my opinion.. I think the aftermarket is only going to make it even better..

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove a Eco premium. The car was manual. Just felt like it had some lag in the low rpms. Mind you this is going to be my 1st turbo car so I'm not familar with how turbos work
In the lower rpms with a manual?? wow.. Dont know? I dont feel that at all. Like i said earlier drops off with stock tune in the upper but not that i noticed in the lower. I guess its night and day coming from my last turbo the WRX..

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
Do you know if it was on sport mode or not? In anything but sport or track mode the throttle is hideously sluggish.

Sponsored
OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I did not play with no modes so I'm assuming it was not on either of those. I'm coming from a heavy modded 350z NA. Only test drove the car for 10 minutes. Guess I'll have to test drive it again. Is the difference from sport mode and regular that much of a difference?

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I did not play with no modes so I'm assuming it was not on either of those. I'm coming from a heavy modded 350z NA. Only test drove the car for 10 minutes. Guess I'll have to test drive it again. Is the difference from sport mode and regular that much of a difference?

There's a huge difference, IMO. Also a big difference in MPG..that I can live with though.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
There's a huge difference, IMO. Also a big difference in MPG..that I can live with though.
I dont think there should be any change in MPG between drive modes. I'm at 3,500 miles on my EB Premium and I flip from mode to mode all the time and dont see a difference. Biggest difference would just be that when you put it in sport/sport +/track mode you are probably looking to drive fast = lower mileage

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
To answer you question about a tune, and turbo lag. Below is a graph showing you how fast the stock turbo spools. To relate it to another vehicle, a stock EVO X turbo doesn't make full boost until about 3,000 rpm's on a built, high compression motor. It doesn't make peak torque until 4,000 rpm's.

The Ecoboost Mustang in stock form will make full boost at 2,500 rpm's and peak torque at 2,700 rpm's as show on the dyno below. The red line on the graph below is a completely stock Ecoboost Mustang, on stock tune. The blue line is a stock EBM with Cobb Stage 1 Tune.

Hope this sheds some light!

-Adam Brunson

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
The thing is there are alot of variables with the EBM...
-87 or 93 Octane (270 vs 310 hp)
Really? 40 hp?
IIRC it was much less than that and only above 5000 rpm.
Sponsored