ecoboost turbo lag?

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
After looking at the graphs, I have to ask, why did Ford leave so much out of the base tune? Was it for wheelspin/driveability, or more important reliability/longevity of the engine?
Sponsored

Voodoo Mamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP M/T

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I dont think there should be any change in MPG between drive modes. I'm at 3,500 miles on my EB Premium and I flip from mode to mode all the time and dont see a difference. Biggest difference would just be that when you put it in sport/sport +/track mode you are probably looking to drive fast = lower mileage
Right- that's more along the lines of what I meant.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
After looking at the graphs, I have to ask, why did Ford leave so much out of the base tune? Was it for wheelspin/driveability, or more important reliability/longevity of the engine?
My honest opinion is they didnt want it to compete with the GT from the factory.especially with it being 200lbs lighter.. Also they know with a Turbo 4 its a tuners dream just like the ST and the RS coming out! Also its smart. they'll make alot of money with there FORD racing aftermarket tunes and parts this way. They could easily have this car coming off the line with much more power just with a better stock tune alone. but then they wouldn't make money off all the goodies. Just like Harley Davidson does with there bikes.. Gotta buy louder pipes and more chrome here and there and this part and that part some skulls,better seat, better hand grips.. Harley makes a killing off the aftermarket and FORD is learning to do the same with FORD racing parts!

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
My honest opinion is they didnt want it to compete with the GT from the factory.especially with it being 200lbs lighter.. Also they know with a Turbo 4 its a tuners dream just like the ST and the RS coming out! Also its smart. they'll make alot of money with there FORD racing aftermarket tunes and parts this way. They could easily have this car coming off the line with much more power just with a better stock tune alone. but then they wouldn't make money off all the goodies. Just like Harley Davidson does with there bikes.. Gotta buy louder pipes and more chrome here and there and this part and that part some skulls,better seat, better hand grips.. Harley makes a killing off the aftermarket and FORD is learning to do the same with FORD racing parts!
Ok. I was only concerned about how long a stock engine would last blowing out another 100 plus pounds of torque. I would think it's overbuilt from the factory from some of the #'s I'm seeing with no damage. I personally don't drive my cars hard but I don't want ANY stock V6 camaros/chargers pulling on me!:D Sorry to derail OP!

Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. I was only concerned about how long a stock engine would last blowing out another 100 plus pounds of torque. I would think it's overbuilt from the factory from some of the #'s I'm seeing with no damage. I personally don't drive my cars hard but I don't want ANY stock V6 camaros/chargers pulling on me!:D Sorry to derail OP!
You with out a doubt wont have to worry about any n/a v6 cars like Camaros or chargers ever pulling on you. they have no real tq first and second just with a little tune these Turbo mustangs really turn up the power! I like to think of a turbo on an engine as a stock volume knob.. something the n/a engines dont have..turn it up to 12 baby! LOL...
http://www.mustang6g.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Gotta say this forum is very helpful unlike the z forum lol. Anyways guess maybe my comparision to my z is off according to all the dynos I see. Maybe my car feels faster cause its louder. I'll have to test out that sports mode next time.

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta say this forum is very helpful unlike the z forum lol. Anyways guess maybe my comparision to my z is off according to all the dynos I see. Maybe my car feels faster cause its louder. I'll have to test out that sports mode next time.
You did say earlier that your 350z is heavily modded..That makes a difference as well. Grab a heavily modded 2015 Mustang Turbo one day for a ride im willing to bet its going to feel alot faster then your z..

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
This car is a lot smoother than my previous cars.so it's power is a little deceiving. I notice no turbo lag though.

Chaos_Being

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium, 2006 Scion tC
Do you know if it was on sport mode or not? In anything but sport or track mode the throttle is hideously sluggish.
This...the way I've been describing the different modes to my friends, is that "normal" mode is really the "eco" mode that you see on so many cars these days. Throttle response is slow, and (if an automatic) it tries to get to 6th gear as fast as it can. This can actually become a little annoying as the car has a tendency to constantly downshift from 6-5 if you're driving in a hilly area, as it will jump back to 6 the first chance it gets. Sport mode makes the throttle feel the way it should (very responsive!,) and if an automatic the transmission becomes pretty aggressive about downshifting and holding lower gears. Also, no 6th gear/overdrive.

Sponsored
OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
My modded z was untuned. Even with a tune its lucky to see 270 HP 260 tq. I'll admit I did not know these cars Dont make power over 5k rpms. Maybe its me? I'll have to try sport mode vs Eco mod?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
is it me our does this car seem to have a good amount of turbo lag? would a tune get rid of some of this?
I have been driving turbo cars continiously since 1985. The EB and the Focus ST I traded for it are the closest to zero lag of any turbo car I have ever driven.

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
I have been driving turbo cars continiously since 1985. The EB and the Focus ST I traded for it are the closest to zero lag of any turbo car I have ever driven.
I've had a few turbo cars as well, and the only one that was lag free as my EBM was my '87 Buick T-type that had a few bolt ons, chip, and 2800 stall. Boost on that car was almost instantaneous..like having nitrous..lol. It was awesome amounts of fun, but made for a helluva time getting a decent launch if I needed it. My EBM auto is quick to get into boost, even on stock tune/gears. I know my '13 V6 was night/day different after the tune, so can't imagine how much it's going to wake this car up.

The manual trans car I drove did seem a bit flat in comparison, but the dealers keep 87 in the tanks, so that was hampering it a lot. I also didn't go into track mode, so that was an oops on my part.

OP
OP

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Didn't put the gas into consideration when test driving. Car was very low on gas seriously was pretty much empty. Was honestly scared to run out of gas during the test drive. Knowing the dealer it had 87 octane

Voodoo Mamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP M/T
Taking an EBM on a test drive doesnt give you the potential from a simple pump gas upgrade. It's too bad that the dealerships put 87 in the tank but they are told to do that. 270ish instead of 310hp 93 on the test drive could make ppl re-consider.

Didn't put the gas into consideration when test driving. Car was very low on gas seriously was pretty much empty. Was honestly scared to run out of gas during the test drive. Knowing the dealer it had 87 octane
Sponsored