E85 and Cats..... keep or delete? Help!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
As long as you have the stock intake manifold the gen2 is fine with flex. My long terms are 0 and my short terms run less than 3%.

I'm not sure about gen1 but I assume it is also
Sponsored

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
Long story short. Delete the cats. In the meantime you can leave your stock cats on until you go catless.
I dont have a whipple.... yet,,, but I have lethal cat deletes and run e85. I still have stock resonator and stock muffler but it sounds mean. Oh and I have cut outs on the cat deletes so when I open those its Insane.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I dont have a whipple.... yet,,, but I have lethal cat deletes and run e85. I still have stock resonator and stock muffler but it sounds mean. Oh and I have cut outs on the cat deletes so when I open those its Insane.
Please post a sound clip, so we can hear how it sounds with and without the cutouts open. Thanks

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
that's partially true.

Beyond it being federal law..each state has their own specific laws as well. OP is in fresno it seems. I BELIEVE California doesn't allow any non-OEM cat. I could be wrong on that, but I believe their newer laws ban use of any non-OEM cat even if it is a repair. If it is a repair, then there is also needed paperwork by yourself and the installing technician. Regular joe smo cannot just switch out their own cats and say it was a repair. It has to be signed off (not saying yours wasn't, just for OP information.) California (like new York) also doesn't allow installation of any used cats. OEM or not. Like I said, each state has different laws and I do not know all of them, but research should be done and whats true for one person may not be for another. Either way, swapping out cats legally will at the very minimum require them to be in need of repair, and signed off saying so by an appropriate entity.

I don't personally care. But I like to provide what info I can to someone who may care.
If your in a state which does not require smog test but don't want your dealer to know, just pound out the inside and run a pipe through it. Just a thought. Good luck

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That looks and sounds killer msalvoni! If I had seen a setup like yours before installing long tubes on my car, I probably would have gone that route to save money, time and aggravation. Where did you mount your switch for the cutouts?

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
If your in a state which does not require smog test but don't want your dealer to know, just pound out the inside and run a pipe through it. Just a thought. Good luck
oh this isn't for me haha. Im registered in alabama and don't take my car to the dealers anyways

but you are correct, that is an option to consider for people making the decision.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But then you are still stuck with the stupid 2 1/4 inch pipe.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
But then you are still stuck with the stupid 2 1/4 inch pipe.
Yep, when I change our my system, I will use Kooks 1-7/8 long Tubes, 3" green cats, and a 3" exhaust which will use my active valves.

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
That would still require you remove the pipes from the car and would leave you with restrictive piping and flex. If you go through the trouble you can put a set of our MAK pipes on it, pick up all the power and tone, and with our return to stock option you can bolt your factory stuff back in should you ever need it for the dealer.

Sponsored

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
That looks and sounds killer msalvoni! If I had seen a setup like yours before installing long tubes on my car, I probably would have gone that route to save money, time and aggravation. Where did you mount your switch for the cutouts?
i will try and get you a pitcture, its cleanly located right next to the shifter on the passeneger side, drilling had to occur to get it there, it looks very clean, but in the event you wanted to remove the system you would have a hole there

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
i will try and get you a pitcture, its cleanly located right next to the shifter on the passeneger side, drilling had to occur to get it there, it looks very clean, but in the event you wanted to remove the system you would have a hole there
Did you have an exhaust shop do the cutting and welding on the drivers side pipe? If so, how much did they charge? Really thinking bout cat deletes.

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
Did you have an exhaust shop do the cutting and welding on the drivers side pipe? If so, how much did they charge? Really thinking bout cat deletes.
yes, I am in Cali where things tend to be pricey but 300 to install cat deletes and weld cut outs onto the cat deletes. For just cat delete install I would say 200 but I do remember having to buy some gasket at o reilys for the drivers side (lethal cat deletes)

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
^^This. I'd just remove the stock headers pound out the cats and put it back in. You would also pass a visual smog inspection like that. Long Tubes/ Cat deletes will be louder, this is the quietest option for free flow. Besides I think 15+ mustangs have pretty darn good header design from factory compared to the past. You just need to justify sound per horsepower value when going loud with larger diameter piping.
Sponsored