E10 Fuel comingg - Issues for us?

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Hi, Read today the governmennt wants to have all petrol to contain 10% Ethanol from next year. Will this have any impact for us?
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
its already got 5% in it an extra 5% won't harm a modern engine they should just go the whole hog and give us E85 then we can have happy chargers

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
Consider it a blessing. The more ethanol, the better.
Not if it's the same octance rating.... Regular unleaded in the UK will still be 95 RON, so no anti-knock/performance benefit. However, ethanol has lower energy content than petrol so fuel consumption will be a bit worse. Also, the plan is for super unleaded to stay at 5% so there's a still a safe option for older cars.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Too much Ethanol will damage fuel systems and have poor stability but 10% is not a problem. Ford state it is fine in all of their current engines.

E10 has been the only fuel in France for a while now. Premium fuel is still E5 (and almost the same price)

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not if it's the same octance rating.... Regular unleaded in the UK will still be 95 RON, so no anti-knock/performance benefit. However, ethanol has lower energy content than petrol so fuel consumption will be a bit worse. Also, the plan is for super unleaded to stay at 5% so there's a still a safe option for older cars.
Ethanol has more benefits than just octane.

For example, E85 is 107 octane but it will perform better than straight 107 octane E0 gasoline.

Not that an extra 5% will make a big difference, but it's something.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ethanol has more benefits than just octane.

For example, E85 is 107 octane but it will perform better than straight 107 octane E0 gasoline.

Not that an extra 5% will make a big difference, but it's something.
Well if going to 10% shuts Greta up..

I'm IN!!!

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Nothing will, keep burning up that petrol while you still can :inspect:
Guess you may have a point. I may have been tempted to use ear plugs to prevent hearing her whinging, but if I rev the V8 high enough, that should do the job :rockon:

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Out here we've only had E10 since the early 2000's when MTBE was phased out due to big time groundwater contamination in Santa Monica. E10 is fine, the concerns about the sky falling is overblown. Yeah, you will get slightly worse gas mileage because ethanol has less energy content per gallon, but 5% more than what you have now is not very noticeable.

The big 3 were trying to raise the national fuel octane ratings two years ago. I believe the desire for more octane was a way to improve the fuel economy, (Increased compression = increased efficiency). Everyone I knew got ticked off about it because they only want to put in 80 octane in their prius' if they could save money. I on the other hand was practically doing cartwheels.
Sponsored