Dumb RPM question

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'm trying to get a handle on how stout these 5.0 motors really are. Hypothetically if you could drive around in let's say 3rd gear at 6k rpm, how long do you think the motor could take it? Minutes, hours, days? You get the idea, Thanks.
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The question would be if I could take it. That noise for that amount of time would drive me nuts (and it's a short drive).

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
Realistically why would you even care? Would it make your life better knowing the answer? It's like wondering how long you could live in space without a suit. Neither scenario will be likely to happen.

OP
OP

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Point was, Just how stout are these motors. Also, coming from a world of higher revving 4 bangers, I don't want to push the envelope too much on a motor that wasn't built to take it. However if that article is true and not marketing, it speaks volumes for the coyote.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Point was, Just how stout are these motors. Also, coming from a world of higher revving 4 bangers, I don't want to push the envelope too much on a motor that wasn't built to take it. However if that article is true and not marketing, it speaks volumes for the coyote.
Your test is unnecessary. The Coyote has a long proven history of being one of the stoutest motors out there. Just go out there and beat the crap out of it. You’ll see. :like:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
As you read about in the article, the engine was ran at peak RPM for couple thousand miles, with being frozen in between and then re-heated. The engine was still in good running order after all that. Seems pretty stout to me.

But this begs the question, what do you plan on doing with your vehicle that you need to know this specific question?

OP
OP

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I'm not going to beat it but I have a habit of liking to keep the revs up.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
By keeping the revs up do you mean driving around at 6000rpm constantly?

As Bikeman said, you won't need to run the same revs as in a tiny little 4 banger to get the same output.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

So drive on, but don't come back griping about the mpg . Just projecting the next dumb question .