OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
It’s a damn good but long full article to read

: "We knew that someday there would be a DI version of this engine. We knew someday there would be a supercharged version of the engine. We knew that someday someone would want to do something on it," he explained. "So we wanted to make sure when we did the initial design work that it would be robust enough to not have to re-engineer the whole thing down the road and any subsequent programs would be very investment efficient and time efficient and so we did package DI injectors, we did really improve the bulkhead strength to take supercharging, we upgraded the cylinder head bolts and the main bearing bolts, all of that stuff ... We just wanted to make sure it was a good base going forward, that the architecture would last us the next 10 or 15 years."

OP
OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“”We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks”

OP
OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"It can't be on its last legs at the end of the test," says Mike. "It can't be that it hasn't seized yet, we need to see crosshatching on the cylinders, no full-face ring wear, leak down needs to be below, oh, eight percent; it has to be very, very functional and could go do it again, quite frankly."

Sponsored

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe it’s revelevent because a few dozen people along with the awesome y0uTub3 content creators are claiming Ford doesn’t test anything and slaps it into the car to screw over the foolish fanbo1s.
Agreed. I cant imagine Ford isn't any different than the defense industry in terms of reliability. Piece parts are subjected accelerated and highly accelerated life testing along with failure mode analysis. Then once assembled as the end item, subjecting the end item to extreme functional testing at varying environmental conditions as the article alluded to. The whole point is to determine failure modes and address areas of concern thru re-design if necessary.'1

On a side, hunterooo I just noticed your from Cleremont...I'm just down the street in Winter Garden. Might be traveling your way tonight for some Uncle Kennys BBQ in the '18.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Agreed. I cant imagine Ford isn't any different than the defense industry in terms of reliability. Piece parts are subjected accelerated and highly accelerated life testing along with failure mode analysis. Then once assembled as the end item, subjecting the end item to extreme functional testing at varying environmental conditions as the article alluded to. The whole point is to determine failure modes and address areas of concern thru re-design if necessary.'1

On a side, hunterooo I just noticed your from Cleremont...I'm just down the street in Winter Garden. Might be traveling your way tonight for some Uncle Kennys BBQ in the '18.
Nice now you got me wanting to go :D

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
These engines are really impressive. I remember when 100hp /litre was the holy grail of NA engines, and only a rare few exotic cars had them....My 1980 BMW 320i had a 1.8L engine putting out 101hp. Now my 2019 Bullitt is putting 96 bhp per litre (manufacturer specs) from the factory.....

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Thanks choate, I haven't read that before. My experience with the 5.0L came wrapped in a 2013 GT that we bought in May 2012. By December '12 I was so impressed with the engine when I ordered my '13 F-150 I knew it had to have the truck version of the 5.0. These engines are tough SOB's.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Thanks for posting this. Yes, the Coyote is an engine that will be remembered by more folks than probably any other Ford performance engine.
Designed for high RPMs and lots and lots of abuse if tuned right. The Boss 429 was an awesome engine, but still had it's main parts from the 385 series, like 429 or 460. Albeit different heads, etc. The 427 and 428 CJ engines which many of us owned in the olden days were just hyped up grocery getter engines.
Not so with the Coyote. The Coyote is a refined race engine. To my knowledge no other car manufacturer gets the HP/Cubic inches Ford does out of the Coyote. Great mileage as well. And, 800 rwhp by lots of folks with stock internals wasn't even believed possible 10-15 years ago.
I love Ford's ecoboost engines, but the Coyote is a living legend.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
The coyote is just an evolution of the modular motor. The 4.6s for the most part were reliable and saw tons of abuse in various fleets from police to taxis. Ford has been making them since 91. Its kinda like the foxbody. You make the same thing long enough and you get pretty good at it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's some good information in that article regarding the testing of the Coyote. I assume it applies to the Gen 3 coyote as well, since much of the components are new/updated in the Gen 3 due to the Gen 3 updates (larger bore, bigger valves, larger pistons, plasma arc cyl. liners, new crank, new camshafts, new intake plenum, etc.). The WOT and full torque/power torture is pretty cool, along with the freeze/heat/thermal expansion tests. WOT throttle for several minutes is something I have never done to any of my cars (I don't track them). Much less multiple times, back to back to back, etc., with ice cold coolant running through the engine after shutting off, then started up and within a few seconds, back to WOT. Awesome. Good to know what's under my hood! I do love this engine. It is a marvel of engineering, 92 hp/liter (conservatively) from the factory.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
“”We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks”
That just turned me on :D
Sponsored