DROPPING CAR OFF AT DEALERSHIP

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I am just curious, am I the only one that videos their entire vehicle upon drop off.

I have dropped off vehicles in the past where a Caravan side door had a crease put down the middle of the door. That was while having a key made after buying 2 days previously. They tried to say it was like that when I dropped it off. My video showed different.

Dropped my Taurus off and had a dent in driver's side passenger door. They denied they did it. Video showed otherwise.

Richard
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I don't video but I take detailed pictures. I dropped a car off for some driver side body work after a nasty accident involving a hit and run douche bag. Got it back with new damage to my front bumper from them removing reinstalling it and paint on my driver seat from them storing the extra in the middle consol. They tried to show me their pictures they took to document the pre-existing damages to my vehicle. They had 100 pieces of tape marking basically the entire car and their pictures looked like they were taken with a 1980s Polaroid camera so you couldn't make anything out. I showed them my high quality pictures from a damn cell phone and asked them to point out any of the places they marked in either the pictures or on my car as it was there with me. They couldn't. I made them cover the cost to have a shop I could trust correct the damages.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
Owned a Jeep Rubicon new in 2004. A few months after delivery the radio crapped put. Had a new one put in at dealer and also got a nice 2 inch scratch on the center trim piece. my car was immaculate and showed up that way. No pre photo but I had a frank discussion with a manager who tried to blame me to no avail. jackass tech used a screwdriver to pry piece off and it must have slipped. They took one off a new car on the lot and place in mine.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Yes absolutely. Had dealer do body damage and also stain interior.

Also check it the moment you arrive to pick it up for anything. Even before getting repair order.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I don't drop my car off at the dealer for anything unless it's a warranty or recall. The more they touch it, the more they can F it up.

OP
OP
mrgooden

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Always document. A nice slow video pan of the car at time of drop off, in a conspicuous way, usually helps avoid issues.

Don't forget the Do Not Wash sign on the steering wheel.
Yes sir, I drive right to their windows and video my car top to bottom, including under splitter and around.

Richard

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wash before I take it (perfect inspection time).

Photos as I drop it off, including close ups of wheels and corners.

Photo of mileage.

Switch to (a fully restricted) MyKey.

Ask the service advisor to come and inspect - politely inform them you have just washed and inspected it, politely challenge them to find a mark on it.

Have them note on the paperwork not to wash it.

Apologise for being a bit anal, make fun of myself, express some nervousness about leaving it.

Check it upon return, before speaking to the service advisor (more time to check without being pressurised).

Thank them for being kind with it, make fun of myself again.

It’s only been in ford twice and the most it clocked was 0.1 mile on its second visit. They have even left it in the bay for me to drive out of the shop on one occasion (I was worried when it wasn’t waiting for me on the forecourt lol).

If possible, I have thanked the service tech. It’s the same guy who works on my car now and the service advisor volunteered there was a note on my file advising of the that. Service tech was handpicked by the manager I get on really well with from the parts department.

In my experience, being polite (but firm), courteous and apologetic for being a bit anal really keeps them on side.

My dealership has been very accommodating when we have had some issues (delivery damage and warranty), going well above and beyond what I could have expected :like:

Don't forget the Do Not Wash sign on the steering wheel.
Yes, one of these :

1640111113716.jpeg

And on display here :

1640111157924.jpeg

WD :like:

Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Photo of mileage.
Also tell them they are not authorized to drive your vehicle beyond minimum necessary to complete the repair. And absolutely under no circumstances allowed to drive it to lunch or home. I found out the hard way even by Ford corporate telling me dealership techs can even drive your car home that night as "part of their test to ensure the vehicle has been repaired satisfactory" and was informed that I have to specifically tell them they are not allowed. They put nearly 300mi on my previous lemon.

The my key can help but a shady tech can bypass this and say it was needed for the test unless you say otherwise before hand.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nope.

When I have to leave it at the Dealership for any type of service, I make sure to take photos of the exterior and interior on their lot with their Dealership name present in the background on buildings or signs.

Exterior would be rims, and all body panels.
Interior would be gauge cluster lenses (dash an PP gauge cluster), seating surfaces (I have Ceramic Leather), and any touch point surfaces such as SYNC screen and doors, steering wheel ... damages can occur to those surfaces with rings, tools in hand, etc.

Luckily my Dealership has excellent Techs and folks working there so, leaving it 1 day or several has never been an issue.

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Also tell them they are not authorized to drive your vehicle beyond minimum necessary to complete the repair. And absolutely under no circumstances allowed to drive it to lunch or home. I found out the hard way even by Ford corporate telling me dealership techs can even drive your car home that night as "part of their test to ensure the vehicle has been repaired satisfactory" and was informed that I have to specifically tell them they are not allowed. They put nearly 300mi on my previous lemon.

The my key can help but a shady tech can bypass this and say it was needed for the test unless you say otherwise before hand.
People have no respect for other's property. How did they put 300 miles on your car?!

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer takes pictures of all sides of the car everytime even if it's just an oil change.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I am just curious, am I the only one that videos their entire vehicle upon drop off.

I have dropped off vehicles in the past where a Caravan side door had a crease put down the middle of the door. That was while having a key made after buying 2 days previously. They tried to say it was like that when I dropped it off. My video showed different.

Dropped my Taurus off and had a dent in driver's side passenger door. They denied they did it. Video showed otherwise.

Richard
You are a very smart person. I should be doing this but it never occurred to me to do it. Luckily I have never had any damage to the car. Once I took my car in for a recall and they left the horn fuse unplugged. Can't remember what recall this was but I was amused as the horn fuse didn't play any part in the recall so how the hell does that happen? That was about it.

I will however always take a video of rental cars when I pick up and drop them off though.
Sponsored