Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Drilled rotors were originally developed to allow the pads to outgas. Now they are referred to marketing holes, that's why they are on most of the European 'sport' models.

Under heavy high temperature braking the holes act like a cheese grater to the pad. You will also find the rotors will develop a wavy surface due to the hole placement. The pad will wear into the rotor at different rates causing this grooved surface.

Fine for street use. Look cool, don't cool any better. Will Crack under track use. A set lasted one day at Daytona running 2:15 Lap times out for a Sunday ride with an instructor.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Slotted rotors can slightly improve heat dissipation, with other drawbacks for most drivers. Drilled rotors only exist because A) a long time ago, some brake pads benefited from them for releasing gases that were generated under high heat, and B) now people think they look cool.

Drilled rotors will actually decrease the heat capacity of your brakes, slightly increase pad wear, and increase the likelihood of cracking your rotors. Stick to flat rotors, especially if you drive only on the street, and maybe slotted if you drive on the track.

And yes, Ferrari, Porsche, and all the other high-performance manufacturers know this, as do the people who actually track those cars and upgrade their OEM brakes. Most people buy Ferraris because they think they're pretty and sound nice. 99% of them don't actually come close to pushing the limits of their brakes' heat capacity and longevity.

EDIT: Very happy to see I'm not the first to point this out, which I shouldn't be surprised about, either. I just read a few of the first replies, and couldn't stop myself from going full keyboard-warrior.

Last edited:

GT_MTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yves
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium - 2018 F-150 XLT
If you want more breaking, invest in floating discs and bigger calipers (as long as the tire setup can handle it). But those disc aren't at all in the same price range.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
If you want more breaking, invest in floating discs and bigger calipers (as long as the tire setup can handle it). But those disc aren't at all in the same price range.
You need to define “better” braking. You seem to imply more clamping force where in fact since the vast majority of braking systems can lock tires, the “better “ is in fact pedal feel, brake modulation and, the most important, resistance to fade

GT_MTL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yves
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium - 2018 F-150 XLT
You need to define “better” braking. You seem to imply more clamping force where in fact since the vast majority of braking systems can lock tires, the “better “ is in fact pedal feel, brake modulation and, the most important, resistance to fade
Yup !
I mean going to lock if you have some very sticky race tires and after that resistance to sudden and consecutive high heat.

(BTW are you french or what ?)

Reactions: luc

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Yup !
I mean going to lock if you have some very sticky race tires and after that resistance to sudden and consecutive high heat.

(BTW are you french or what ?)
Oui monsieur

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be frank, the only cross-drilled, slotted rotors I would consider are Baer Eradispeed. If you are going to do this make sure its a top quality rotor. I don't have issue with cross drilled rotors. I tracked both my E92 M3s and my 997S and both came OEM with crossdrilled floating rotors.

SBR70.3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Premium, 23 Explorer ST, 19 GTI (DD)
There's this car company based out of Stuttgart called Porsche. They put drilled rotors on their 911 GT3 RS. Everything about that car screams "drive me hard on the track". I think they might be on to something.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There's this car company based out of Stuttgart called Porsche. They put drilled rotors on their 911 GT3 RS.
I think the point was that "have holes" != "drilled"

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
There's this car company based out of Stuttgart called Porsche. They put drilled rotors on their 911 GT3 RS. Everything about that car screams "drive me hard on the track". I think they might be on to something.
So Porsche and Porsche customers are immune to fashion statements ?
Everything on the car screams “ look at me”
Btw, i like Porsche and own 1.. with drilled rotors too
Sponsored