Does replacing Rear Deck speakers work

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Hey. I will have the back seat out installing a twin 10" sub box, amp etc. Will replacing the rear deck speakers make them sound better or even noticeable?
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I replaced the rear deck speakers in my '18 GT Premium with some Focal two-way speakers and it made a big difference in overall sound quality. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the rear deck speakers in my '18 GT Premium with some Focal two-way speakers and it made a big difference in overall sound quality. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
Thank you. Because as you know the OEM deck speakers have little or no sound

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
BTW: Which Focals did you install?

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The rear deck speakers have three things going against them. One is that they are in an infinite baffle location (meaning they have nothing to contain and amplify the acoustical energy like a box or door), they are cheap paper cones, and the rear deck trim panel is so thick it chokes off the acoustical response.

Replacing them is a bit of a pain as you have to strip the entire rear end of the cabin apart to get to them. You’ll need to remove both side 1/4 trim panels to get to the pins securing the rear deck panel. If you want to go this route I highly suggest using a 5/16” leather punch tool and removing the carpeting from the vent holes in the backside of the panel like I show here:
6840D928-AEA3-4EC7-B480-5912A63FAF8A.jpeg

You’ll also need an adapter baffle to mount your new speakers into the stock location. I recommend the Sounds Good Stereo adapters here:
https://soundsgoodstereo.com/collec...6-5-inch-speaker-adapters-fits-front-and-rear

Lastly, the rear mount bolt for each speaker is a pain in the ass to remove and install. They are up against the rear glass and you can’t get a ratchet back there. I had to use a 1/4” apex bit and a ratcheting dogbone wrench to remove/install them and you only get a few clicks per turn so it takes awhile.

All that being said, it’s only worth it if you like having surround sound or rear-fill. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
BTW: Which Focals did you install?
RCX-165. If you buy from Crutchfield they supply the necessary harness and bracket to mount the new speakers. It is a pain as mentioned above but took me less than 2 hrs start to finish, and I’m not an avid car stereo installer.

Thank you. Because as you know the OEM deck speakers have little or no sound
The Focals are louder than the factory speakers. Aside from the better sound quality, I noticed it also reduced the emphasis off the front center dash speaker, which was too loud compared to the oem rear speakers.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
RCX-165. If you buy from Crutchfield they supply the necessary harness and bracket to mount the new speakers. It is a pain as mentioned above but took me less than 2 hrs start to finish, and I’m not an avid car stereo installer.

The Focals are louder than the factory speakers. Aside from the better sound quality, I noticed it also reduced the emphasis off the front center dash speaker, which was too loud compared to the oem rear speakers.
I went on an purchased a set of Focal 165CA1 SG 2 for rear deck speakers. I Don’t know the difference these and the ones you got, but they should work just fine. For my bass.
- I am installing this week end, a set of Dual Kicker Comp VX10 2 ohm woofers and a Kicker CXA 1200.1 Amp. They said I didn't have to use a Line Out Converter, but I went on and bought a LC2i to run with my system. I just couldn't justify a $6500 complete stereo system so I replaced my Door speakers last winter, Disconnected my Center dash speaker. I think this high quality Bass will give me what I am wanting. Thanks for your help

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I went on an purchased a set of Focal 165CA1 SG 2 for rear deck speakers. I Don’t know the difference these and the ones you got, but they should work just fine. For my bass.
- I am installing this week end, a set of Dual Kicker Comp VX10 2 ohm woofers and a Kicker CXA 1200.1 Amp. They said I didn't have to use a Line Out Converter, but I went on and bought a LC2i to run with my system. I just couldn't justify a $6500 complete stereo system so I replaced my Door speakers last winter, Disconnected my Center dash speaker. I think this high quality Bass will give me what I am wanting. Thanks for your help
A lot of amps can accept high-level inputs negating the need for LOCs however they can’t overcome the bass roll-off inherent in the stock speakers unless they account for that like the Audio Control Epicenter. The accubass feature in the LC2i will help a bit with that though. You should have plenty of pound now 😉

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost

Crutchfield is one of the best online consumer electronics dealers, from a customer service standpoint. 👍🏼
I'm an advocate for disconnecting the center altogether - easy enough to unplug it and compare how you like it. As far as the OEM rears are concerned, I'd love to see what Ford's design goals were. Possibly the lightest weight 6.5" speakers I've ever come across.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Did you have to do any cutting to install those? Crutchfield says the do not fit as they are 6.75 inches.

Sponsored

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

That's great info, thanks! I've unplugged the center speaker and changed the fade to push everything to the front of the car, and it's 100% better. Did you cut the rear deck panel at all, poke holes in it?

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Did you have to do any cutting to install those? Crutchfield says the do not fit as they are 6.75 inches.
Call or chat with one of their techs. It may not be drop-in, but if you're resourceful, you can make it work.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I did this. See photo's.
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (9).JPG
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (25).JPG
Rear deck mod (2).JPG

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I will make them fit perfectly, I hope. I will post how the install went. I am also installing a 2 Fared Capacitor to prevent battery alternator issues.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Call or chat with one of their techs. It may not be drop-in, but if you're resourceful, you can make it work.
Thanks, I'm sure I can make it work, I'm just not willing to make any changes to the vehicle that I can't reverse. I'm fine with putting holes in the deck cover, I'll buy a new one and cut that, keep the original somewhere. I will not cut sheet metal. Thanks!
Sponsored