Sponsored

Do you think in the coming generations the mustang gt will be able to do 0-60 in the 3 second range?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
There's many variables on this. If you're talking about the way the car magazines test on stock street tires on a street surface, it'll take a 50/50 weight distribution and 650 hp. That's what the C7 Z06 has and it did 0-60 according to Car and Driver in 3.0 seconds, again, on a street surface. That's about the limit with a 50/50 weight distribution and front engine RWD /configuration because the 755 hp ZR-1 also took 3.0 seconds. If I recall correctly those times included 3-60 mph, which was the way C&D used to simulate a 1 ft roll out. I think both times actually reduce down to 2.9 seconds with an actual 1 ft roll out applied (C&D changed to the actual 1 ft roll out method around 2019 or 2020). C&D tested a Ferrari 812 superfast with 789 hp and it did 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, and it has a 47/53 weight distribution - so more power and more weight over the rear tires. I believe that time was also the 3-60 mph time and would be 2.7 seconds with a true 1 ft roll out. MotorTrend's acceleration figures also include 1 ft roll out, which doesn't start the clock until the car has moved 1 ft, and typically reduces the actual time by 0.2-0.3 seconds compared to if the clock starts right as the car starts moving (e.g. a true 0-60). Motortrend tends to see slightly slower times and trap speeds than C&D since MT tests on 91 octane in CA, while C&D generally tests with 93 octane in Michigan.

Both the C7 Z06 and the Ferrari 812 are technically front mid-engine cars, where the entire engine block sits just behind the front axles, and they both have transaxles, shifting weight to the rear of the car. Without those two things, the 760 hp S550 GT500 is likely the best we'll see on a street surface, e.g., 3.4-3.5 seconds (with 1 ft roll out) since it is traction limited. It actually accelerates slightly harder than a C7 Z06 above 60 mph, so it could be faster (with traction). But the weight distribution just isn't there (56/44) since it isn't a true front mid-engine and no rear transaxle.

So, without AWD, I don't think we'll see a Mustang hit 3.0 sec the way the magazines test cars (stock tires, street surface, two way run averages to account for the wind).

Of course, all this goes out the window on a drag strip as traction is improved or if Ford introduces an AWD Mustang similar to a Corvette E-ray (hybrid with front elec. motors and RWD engine).
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My Z4 will run 3.6 on 93 octane, with one of my kids driving and good traction conditions. They weigh 50lbs less than me... every bit helps. Launch control works extremely well on this car, with the right mode settings. But, it only takes a tiny traction issue to cost you a second.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My Z4 will run 3.6 on 93 octane, with one of my kids driving and good traction conditions. They weigh 50lbs less than me... every bit helps. Launch control works extremely well on this car, with the right mode settings. But, it only takes a tiny traction issue to cost you a second.

Your car has the 8spd auto

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Ford can make the rear differential the transmission, push the motor back a few inches, and provide tires as gooey as bubblegum. I reject all other vehicle architecture changes that would result in a sub 3 sec quarter mile.

If you look at a C7 vs C8 corvette, it’s difficult to accept the things that got worse (storage, engine access for maintenance, sound) to make performance better.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
The autos are already in high 3 second range(I know it’s with rollout but so are all the other cars tested). What I want to see is a way for the 6 speed to do it. Current Mustang traction control/launch control is not the best, I think that is a start for the improvement, but the manual is dying and I hear part of it it’s due to damn mpg figures I can only dream.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Tires, conditions, and electronic aids at the strip are very different than what you read in Motortrend.

Those published 0-60 times also don't include forward movement before the clock starts ticking. This skews things even more.

I get what you're saying here, but a published 0-60 time used to sell a new car isnt apples to apples with a Test and Tune at the strip when a guy is dialing in his car. The 2 aren't compatible.
Okay. I personally don't take stock in those numbers at all because I will never see them at my location. There are tons of "other" metrics involved like Density Altitude, tire glue, driver mods... Etc. Is the "Average" person going to see them in a Mustang? NO. And that's why drivers here wonder why their Hellcat is a solid 12 second car. And the tires too of course. But the C&D do have some sort of value because IMO they are a somewhat controlled environment with a GOOD driver. If C&D can get a 3.9 out of my car, I believe them when they say they cut a 2.6 in a AWD M4 Comp. (I don't know what C&D rates a M4 Comp at, I normally don't look them up unless I want to know what a car is capable of)

To your point though, I'll agree with some respects because I have seen a M4 comp cut a 1.6 60' with a 2.6 0-60 and he was stock. He could not however beat me to the end of the strip and he was never ahead of me so I was happy I beat him (only because of his super slow reaction time). He almost caught me at one point but I just started pulling away again when his momentum slowed. He ran a 10.8 @ 125 to my 11.8 @ 128. Better 0-60, AWD launch certainly helped. I was surprised he had such a good time because I've raced a few on the freeways in Mexico, and they are turds compared to a supercharged Mustang. I normally don't walk away from them... I run.

Nothing compares to a driver mod when it comes to C&D times but they still have merit because it helps me judge how badly I'll lose on a non-prepped surface from a dead stop.

Stock I've never cut a 3.9... I can barely cut that with a SC on my car with drag radials on the street. Soooooo, if I know it's AWD I expect them to stop at 60 so they can claim the *win*.

OP, the only way is AWD. Or better launch control. I've had a 2.7 on the strip. I also have 600+whp and Drag Radials. I've done that once. Most runs are around 3.3 if track prep is decent.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
0-60 was used to accelerate from a stop at a merge to highway speeds, which in the 1960s was 60mph for the most part.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Ruby Red - 1st Mustang
Yes. A wise man once said

"you wanna see what will be in your car in 10 years? Look at the new Mercedes s class"

I think the same thing with sports cars. The general progression of horsepower, build materials, aerodynamics, technology etc will trickle down. Whatever is in a Porsche/mclaren/ferrari today I suspect we'll see a bit of it in a mustang eventually and the numbers by default will improve as long as the market supports it.
I think ford actually uses their racing team as test beds for what tech they will use next. Which means you need to look at the ford GT and the mustang GTD or other race inspired vehicles for what they will put into production sports cars. Look at how everyone still raves about the GT350 engine’s 8250 rpm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I think it would have to be AWD and weigh less than 3800 lbs. The M3 Competition XDrive can do it. Why not the 'Stang?

Edit: just for reference, the M3 Competition XDrive is AWD and weighs 3900 lbs with 503 HP.
Remember BMW notoriously underrates their engines. It's probably more like 550 hp... But yeah, the laws of physics make it very difficult for any production car to reach 60 in 3s without AWD or a mid-/rear-engine platform, no matter it's power:weight.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Hybrid powertrain or perhaps if they develop a 4wd coupled with a cvt type transmission.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
4wd coupled with a cvt type transmission.
Have they made a CVT that doesn't drive like shit. I want to buy a slightly used Corolla but I probably can't find one without a bunch of miles on it and in decent cosmetic shape. I don't want a CVT either....

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Remember BMW notoriously underrates their engines. It's probably more like 550 hp... But yeah, the laws of physics make it very difficult for any production car to reach 60 in 3s without AWD or a mid-/rear-engine platform, no matter it's power:weight.
Yeah, agreed. But that's just 50 more horses than the Dark Horse, so I don't think it is that much of a stretch.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
0-60 times are such nonsense. The standard for marketing should be street conditions completely stock with no rollout on tires with the recommended normal tire pressure. It should not be a prepped track and whatever other nonsense they include as most will never see that. Under street conditions the best I have ever seen on my stock Mach 1 with PS4 or my new continentals is 4.3 on the included timer. The average is more like 4.6. I know a guy with a 500 that under same conditions was never better than 4.0. I think the C8 is the biggest offender of this marketing silliness...advertising 2.9 on a stock C8? My ass...usually on those videos you can literally count the seconds as soon as the car moves and see it is hot garbage due to rollout.

Now I do really like those U-drag videos they do now...those are great because it is street conditions showing what the cars can really do in a range of performance attributes in stock formations with no bullshit. I don't think there is a Mach 1 u-drag though.
Sponsored

Last edited: