Sponsored

Do we really need 5w50?

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
I get the 50w but 5w in south Florida or any place scorching hot. What's the point? I know what the book says. Just throwing it out there.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I run 15W-50 in the race car. 15 would probably be fine in an area like FL. But not sure the reason NOT to use 5w?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I get the 50w but 5w in south Florida or any place scorching hot. What's the point? I know what the book says. Just throwing it out there.
I’ll make a careful assumption since you put the W by your numbers that you think the W means weight. It does not. The W is for winter, and in simple terms, represents the flow characteristics of the oil in cold starting conditions. If you live in a hot climate, such as FL, it practically doesn’t make much difference, if any at all. At 100° ambient outside temp, cold starts are not an issue and wether you have a 5W or a 15W is irrelevant. Don’t get too hung up on it and don’t try to outthink what was spec’d for the engine.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah.. why listen to ford engineers... cue the internet engineers in 3..2..

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll make a careful assumption since you put the W by your numbers that you think the W means weight. It does not. The W is for winter, and in simple terms, represents the flow characteristics of the oil in cold starting conditions. If you live in a hot climate, such as FL, it practically doesn’t make much difference, if any at all. At 100° ambient outside temp, cold starts are not an issue and wether you have a 5W or a 15W is irrelevant. Don’t get too hung up on it and don’t try to outthink what was spec’d for the engine.
Yes, and my winter is 70 degrees. I have cases of 15w50 for the racing engines in the boats. Hence the question.

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By all means, don't listen to the people who designed the car. I'm sure random people on the internet know better.
Arizona. Needs more border patrol.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, and my winter is 70 degrees. I have cases of 15w50 for the racing engines in the boats. Hence the question.
So as far as your engine is concerned, the W number means very little. The only question you have left is can you emotionally handle using an oil that doesn’t meet the spec for your engine.

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So as far as your engine is concerned, the W number means very little. The only question you have left is can you emotionally handle using an oil that doesn’t meet the spec for your engine.
Honestly, yes. My therapist said I will be all right.

But the spec isn’t region specific is it?