Sponsored

Do I really need the Performance Package?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Compromise is 1 for 1. If you don’t mind an A10, but hate a convertible, point that out to your wife. She gets the auto and you get a coupe to suit your liking and be ready for race upgrades later.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Convertibles are cool looking, but wouldn’t be my first choice if I knew I was going to race the car. On the other hand, if you make the necessary safety upgrades and cage it appropriately you should be good. I’ll bet the shop installing the cage would appreciate the ease of doing the work on a convertible over a coupe too.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
TL:DR
Here's what I bought about a 1 1/2 years ago for fun drives and track. I was going to buy new then found used under 4k miles: GT Premium Convertible, Performance Pack I, group 401a upgrades, added a roll bar and track level brake pads. Drove on my mostly stock setup for at least 4 HPDE's no problem. Have no idea how to find a non-black interior tho.
I'll say this about the Watson 4 point roll bar, it's really nice but while they say it's removable, it's a bitch to get in and out with the door panels. My gal has no fuss with leaving it in and doing road trips, if you want to have it in and out unless your a real mechanic find a shop that will swap it for you each season.
Oh has Magneride too, great for track and being Novice.

304783477_5423692227720651_5283693296861397395_n.jpg
IMG_7324.JPG

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Can you post a video of how yours sounds? I have the AE on mine and am looking to add something similar to you.
cold start, phone sitting on top of PP1 spoiler over the exhaust pipe. Then after about 15 seconds moved to inside cabin. Short rev to 3500 or so.

in-cabin, windows up approach into and around 4-leaf clover. The accel are on the connecting straights, max revs about 6. Morning commuter traffic didn't allow a lot of freedom. The long, steady 'on-throttle' was one of the leaves.

Last edited:

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
So I have finally gotten the ok to purchase a mustang. Unfortunately, per the wife, it needs to be a convertible and auto so she can drive it.
Does not make me happy, but any way I can get one, I'll take it!
I have been looking for my specs: Auto, Active Exhaust, Performance Pack, Magna Ride and Digital Dash (401A). And her specs: Auto, Convertible, not a black exterior.

I have been having a hard time finding that package in a convertible. I guess the question is do I really need the performance package? Because of the convertible, I cannot hit the tracks around here without a roll bar anyway which I'm not going to do yet.
We are looking at 2020-2023. I can order a 2024 from the dealer, but getting up there in price, plus I do not want to wait until October.

Thoughts?
On Saturday, I am selling my white 2016 GT vert 401A PP1 Shaker, Voice NAV 6 speed Roush SC and Magnaflow cat back. Yes, it is a rare beast. While mine doesn't have it, the Magnaride is nice for bumps. If you are just cruising and she is driving it a lot, PP isn't needed. I'll miss the rumble of 670 HP and 550 torque, but it's kind of overkill - for a car that can't go on a track. If/when I add another convertible to the stable, it will be an old one (66-67-68). I've starting a going to the track hobby, and after trying Mustangs and Porsche Caymans, I've setted on a Honda Civic Type R as the best answer. The Type R requires no mods at all to get on track and handles and brakes like a Hummingbird on cocaine. Truly amazeballs. Cheers!

Last edited:

jymcat1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimbo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I've got the PP1 and found the car undrivable in that configuration - so sloppy, so much nose lift/wheel hop at take off.

The best (mandatory imo) thing you can do is get the CR005 'stop the hop' kit. My GF was demanding I get rid of the car before I put that in - $100.

Beyond that, it's gonna come down to how you drive. You can always get a new set of wheels/tires on sale.from tire rack (bigger than the PP1), a strut brace is easy. I can't speak to how.muc of a difference the bigger antiroll bars make... but again you can go even bigger/better, on your schedule, if you want. Also re: rigidity- it's a.convertable, it's gonna flex.more regardless.

I also can't comment on the magna-ride, but if you aren't going to do coilovers and can find/afford magnaride -- go for it! It's a big car and the body roll was the worst thing for me.

Tl;Dr - PP1 is not mandatory, you can make the car handle better on your own at your pace. CR005 is mandatory for any Mustang PP2 on down.

Good luck!

Sponsored

Mels21GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
cold start, phone sitting on top of PP1 spoiler over the exhaust pipe. Then after about 15 seconds moved to inside cabin. Short rev to 3500 or so.

in-cabin, windows up approach into and around 4-leaf clover. The accel are on the connecting straights, max revs about 6. Morning commuter traffic didn't allow a lot of freedom. The long, steady 'on-throttle' was one of the leaves.
Appreciate the sound clips, sounds really nice. Where did you purchase the the H Pipe and Cat back?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the sound clips, sounds really nice. Where did you purchase the the H Pipe and Cat back?
H came from Steeda. Rest of the Borla/FP came from a member here. I expressly directed my installer to CUT the H pipe so the Borla resonator would be a drop-in. Otherwise it'll come up short.

I have another complete Borla/FP Touring setup that's almost new, sitting in the shop, with the intent of putting it on the Ecoboost. But I can be pursuaded to part with it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Just know with the FP by Borla, it will delete the active exhaust as they don’t have the butterfly flaps in them. Unless they’ve since come out with an active system that I’m not aware of

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
TL:DR
Here's what I bought about a 1 1/2 years ago for fun drives and track. I was going to buy new then found used under 4k miles: GT Premium Convertible, Performance Pack I, group 401a upgrades, added a roll bar and track level brake pads. Drove on my mostly stock setup for at least 4 HPDE's no problem. Have no idea how to find a non-black interior tho.
I'll say this about the Watson 4 point roll bar, it's really nice but while they say it's removable, it's a bitch to get in and out with the door panels. My gal has no fuss with leaving it in and doing road trips, if you want to have it in and out unless your a real mechanic find a shop that will swap it for you each season.
Oh has Magneride too, great for track and being Novice.

304783477_5423692227720651_5283693296861397395_n.jpg
IMG_7324.JPG
It's dangerous to drive a car with a roll bar in it if you aren't wearing a helmet. Especially if you have no padding on the roll bar. I would encourage you to take the time to remove the bar between track events. I realize it's a pain to remove and reinstall, but that's what I do, even though I have roll bar padding on mine. I want to be as safe as possible, and you can't control what the other drivers do.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dodd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP1
Personally, I would get it decked out with everything. Buy once, cry once. That's what I did a few months ago. Got mine as optioned as possible because I plan on keeping mine forever.

I searched nationally from Jan through almost May to find the car I wanted. I actually ran across several convertibles, but even in Florida, I didn't see the advantages of a convertible. It's usually too hot or raining so I wouldn't keep the top down that often, I always worry about the security issue with the top and I just prefer the lines of the coupe.

I've got a '21 GT Premium PP1 with an auto (it's faster and it's my everyday driver as well so much friendlier in South Florida traffic. I literally have all options on this thing, even Recaros. Only thing I'd prefer differently would have been a red interior and black. I like my Antimatter but black is my favorite but you get what you can when you buy used.

Plus, there's the upside of the dash gauges in the PP1 if that matters to you.
Sponsored