Sponsored

Do I need 50w oil?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I love how Ford carefully worded the manual. I could see how it could be interpretted two ways:

"SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle's engine"

In other words, you could break it up into parts and it would read like this:

"SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy"
"SAE 5W-20 oil provides durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle's engine"

The second clause might lead to you wonder, what were these "requirements"? "Optimum" means it's maximized, but for durability is just "meets requirements". Is the requirement that the engine lasts 150k miles while driving gently? I don't know.

Add one comma and it changes the meaning: "SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance, meeting all requirements for your vehicle's engine". If this is what it said then there would be a stronger argument for the 20. So did Ford word it that way to intentionally fool the drive-by reader into thinking 20 gets optimum durability?
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That's the "requirement" plain and simple. After that, Ford don't give a rat's behind what happens to your engine.
My son designs engines over at Cummins. He designs and tests to some number of hours. He told me once what it is but I forgot, it is equal to the number of miles for warranty. Once the item he designs lasts that long he stops the test. He and Cummins don't care if it lasts another hour, blows to bits right now, or lasts 20 more years.

An interesting side note is after he designs it it goes to another engineering team and their job is to make it cheaper.

I do have it first hand that oil is speced for MPG and emissions. Wear protection is 5th or 6th on the list.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
An interesting side note is after he designs it it goes to another engineering team and their job is to make it cheaper.
but do they re-test?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
do have it first hand that oil is speced for MPG and emissions. Wear protection is 5th or 6th on the list.
thank you USG made up regulations and goals. And the financial incentives that pervert science and engineering.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Ptrug

Ptrug

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP Convertible with FI
My son designs engines over at Cummins. He designs and tests to some number of hours. He told me once what it is but I forgot, it is equal to the number of miles for warranty. Once the item he designs lasts that long he stops the test. He and Cummins don't care if it lasts another hour, blows to bits right now, or lasts 20 more years.

I do have it first hand that oil is speced for MPG and emissions. Wear protection is 5th or 6th on the list.
Crazy! but I get it.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
But, there are conditions where pressure can be indicated without flow. Rare. True. But it can happen.
In a closed system sure. Automotive oiling systems aren't closed. It's open. One big leak.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
G2, 120mm on 93.

I don’t track her and rarely WOT but I def drive her hard.

Should I still put 50w as a precaution? Thinking mobile 1 super car which is 40w. Currently on mobile one 30w.

Thoughts?
Amsoil Signature 5w50