Die hard Manual guys get in here!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As an European fella, I find it quite funny all U US guys, can get such a rise out of this 'can U drive a stick' thing. Here (in Denmark) probably 95-99% of cars are manual. Until 3 years ago, manuals were mandatory when taking a licence, so everbody can drive stick. Nothing special. Now its possible to take an 'auto-only' licence. But if U later wanna drive a manual, U have to take a new test in a manual.
I looove my manual GT, but I rarely think about it in my work van. For normal driving its just second nature. But in the GT I'm, much more aware about my shifts, especially my heel toe downshifts.
But I also drive around in a rolling thunderstorm, so shifts are much more pronounced.
In America only 2% of cars sold new are manual transmission. People have gotten away from them for decades because automatics are "more luxurious". We also don't value driving like other countries since it's a literal necessity to do anything and participate in the economy.
Sponsored

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
After trading in my mustang I don't post here too often but I still check in now and then just incase I can add something to a conversation. With that said, I'm still manual or die even if it's not in a mustang!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I HATE gated shifters, especially in a Ferrari, since they had probably the best manual transmission anywhere (the awesome Graziano). I had the pleasure of driving another Graziano manual on a friend's Aston Martin Vantage, and it was immensely more enjoyable than the gated shifter IMO. But it's a matter of personal preference, of course. My brother had a manual F430 which I bought for him, and still enjoyed it a lot in the twisties, but you lose the mechanical feel with the gates.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I HATE gated shifters, especially in a Ferrari, since they had probably the best manual transmission anywhere (the awesome Graziano).
Sorry to upset you.
The image is supposed to be purely symbolic.
Visible gates emphasizes the “mechanicality” of the manual transmission.
They just invites you to discover the next gear.
For some of us, they can be a part of aesthetics.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As an European fella, I find it quite funny all U US guys, can get such a rise out of this 'can U drive a stick' thing. Here (in Denmark) probably 95-99% of cars are manual. Until 3 years ago, manuals were mandatory when taking a licence, so everbody can drive stick. Nothing special. Now its possible to take an 'auto-only' licence. But if U later wanna drive a manual, U have to take a new test in a manual.
Wish that was true here too.

Unfortunately, not only due to laziness, etc., we became accustom to the 'open road' mindset. Now that traffic is horrific on most major highways, no one can be bothered and has lost much of the enjoyment of driving. To minimize the impact, many turn to autos. Me, I will die with a manual even if I have to duct tape this one together (or the next) or any other extreme measures that have to be taken. You cannot play drums without all your limbs in action and I feel that driving is the same and more enjoyable and engaging because of this in a manual.

Also, there is more to driving than just going fast. Manual guys get that. The A10 was just a way to go faster. It added nothing to connectivity. It put one more computer between you and the road and just added complexity. I prefer the simple life.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Wish that was true here too.

Unfortunately, not only due to laziness, etc., we became accustom to the 'open road' mindset. Now that traffic is horrific on most major highways, no one can be bothered and has lost much of the enjoyment of driving. To minimize the impact, many turn to autos. Me, I will die with a manual even if I have to duct tape this one together (or the next) or any other extreme measures that have to be taken. You cannot play drums without all your limbs in action and I feel that driving is the same and more enjoyable and engaging because of this in a manual.

Also, there is more to driving than just going fast. Manual guys get that. The A10 was just a way to go faster. It added nothing to connectivity. It put one more computer between you and the road and just added complexity. I prefer the simple life.
I'll take that a step further and say the general populous has become so complacent to driving that it's flat out dangerous to anybody who isn't driving a modern vehicle with 28 airbags and 900 crash prevention sensors to be out on the roads. I honestly believe the majority of people these days can barely distinguish being in their car versus still being on the couch at home. I think there's a bit of truth to the argument that the more tech bs we cram into cars to make them more numb, comfortable, and "safe", the worse the accidents are going to become. Now people don't even have to check their blind spots, a sensor does it for them. You can only build a car so safe - and modern cars are so insulated, comfortable, and numb that people think nothing of doing 100mph on their daily commute because it's barely distinguishable from sitting on the couch at home... until they crash at 100mph and it's total carnage. I'm old enough to remember when the majority of highway accidents were one, maybe two cars that shut down a lane and were pretty beat up. Now highway accidents are all hell breaks loose and they have to shut down the entire highway for hours as they scrape together the bits of 9 cars someone just hit at 100mph. It didn't used to be that way, for the most part.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
So I will be purchasing a new 2018 gt PP this fall and am kinda torn about this new 10-spd auto coming out. Hearing about all of the camaro stories and expecting that the auto will be quicker (not to mention this getrag i have now 2011 GT has been the worst manual I have ever owned) has me leaning towards the auto for the first time ever since i have been driving sports cars.

Autos have come a long way in the last 20 years and now it looks like they may be converting this die hard manual guy and I am wondering if I am alone or if there is anyone else out there in the same boat.

92 fox gt
01 camaro SS
11 mustang GT / PP
18 Mustang GT ?
Get a built calimer transmission or T56 Magnum swap it. We sell both here at www.lethalperformance.com. Send me a message if you have anymore questions about either.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry to upset you. The image is supposed to be purely symbolic. Visible gates emphasizes the “mechanicality” of the manual transmission.
They just invites you to discover the next gear. For some of us, they can be a part of aesthetics.
Upset? Ha ha. Of course not man. In fact, I'm probably in the minority, not liking driving a gated shifter. Was simply stating my point of view; that's all. But there's no denying they look aesthetically better, and they leave zero doubt there's a manual transmission under them :). I think the Bullitt is the modern interpretation of a gated shifter, with a white cue ball with the 'H pattern' clearly stated, also leaving little doubt it's a manual tranny... but without the clanking, and more satisfying shifting feel :).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Manual-transmission_stick.jpg

Any day...
There's no doubt about what kind of transmission it operates.

But you'd better be good at 'guiding' the lever from gear to gear . . .

Norm

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
81Ui0zZ8ETL._AC_SX679_.jpg

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
The only auto that made me think that I could actually own it was the new A10.
It's a great transmission if you want an auto. My wife has one in her Expedition.

For me, it's manual only.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
There's no doubt about what kind of transmission it operates.

But you'd better be good at 'guiding' the lever from gear to gear . . .

Norm
+1

Gates look cool, but are really just a crutch for imprecise shift linkage.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
On the matter of shift knobs/handles themselves, a right-sized cue ball always felt better than the pistol-grip style, and it worked way better than the T-handles for any driving that wasn't drag racing.

But I think the newer styles have got the cue balls beat because they encourage a grip that works better for downshifting (easier to use more of a palm grip on the side rather than a finger grip over the top).

shift knob.jpg

Norm

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Gates look cool, but are really just a crutch for imprecise shift linkage.
This is probably true.
The only vehicle I drove with shift gates on shifter was a T-55 tank during my military service.

T-55-Driver_position_Shifter_MARKED (2).jpg

The fully mechanical linkage (no hydraulics) went from driver position all the way back to the engine compartment and it has enormous imprecision.
Even if you hit the right gate, you could sometimes miss the gear.
I can't imagine that mechanism to functioning without the gates.

But - ok - tank is a different animal.
Sponsored

Last edited: