ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Think about what you would have to endure if you got a flat on the highway.
Hours of waiting for a tow. Then what?
The inflator kit is useless if you get sidewall damage.
I don' trust tow truck drivers to care enough about my vehicle not to duck it up, pulling it onto the flat bed and then strap'n it down.
I'll take the extra weight over the rear wheels thank you.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Delete it (remove it)… coat the inner well & turn i into a ice box. You’ll be very popular at car events and it’s practical too :)
I deflated my spare, makes lighter. And faster.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
My recently acquired used 2020 had the spare delete foam block with the slime inflator. I told the dealer I would only buy the car if they put the spare and jack in with the deal so I got the spare and the slime inflator both at no cost to me. I am old skool and will change my own flat before I wait for hours for a tow truck.

BD

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
You could look into run flats, but you might not like the ride.
Last time I used a spare was on my 235 with runflats. A runflat with sidewall damage (strip of metal on the road) goes out of round pretty damn quick.

I limped 1/4 mile down the highway to an exit, and stopped in a parking lot. AAA forecast 1.5 hours minimum to get there. I had purchased a spare tire kit (the car didn't some with one) and changed it myself in 25 minutes.

If I didn't have the spare, I would have ended up dead in the driveway after a 70 mile flatbed ride, waiting for a replacement tire to come in.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
Yeah, not the factory 18” wheel. The 18” wheel by Modern Spare uses a spacer for use with a PP equipped car. The AA wheel is 19” and does not require a spacer. A little more money but in a tough situation worth every penny.

https://modernspare.com/product/2015-2022-ford-mustang-spare-tire-kit-options/
Was not aware of this idea, thanks for the info. I am going to replace the factory jack and whatever else I need to do the job myself if it ever comes to that.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In my 30+ years of driving, I've had my share of flats, including two blowouts that no "mobility kit" in the known universe could fix.

One was in an old car that had a spare and jack, no drama. The other was in my '07 GT500, which had no spare, just a useless mobility kit. I spent several hours late on an extremely hot Sunday afternoon on a back road, helpless and waiting for assistance to get back in motion. Guess which scenario I prefer?

Never again will a vehicle of mine not have a spare and the means to change it on board.

blowout.jpg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Was not aware of this idea, thanks for the info. I am going to replace the factory jack and whatever else I need to do the job myself if it ever comes to that.
FWIW, the factory jack work great it's that floppy handle that's a pita. I put a 1/2" ratcheting breaker bar with an 18" piece of iron pipe that slips over the ratchet plus the appropriate socket in the trunk. It all fits inside/under the spare and makes quick work of both jacking and lug removal. Yes it adds a couple of lbs but the first time you try to break lugs that have been torqued to 150 ft/lbs with the stock jack handle you won't care about the weight.
Another tip is to use a small impact driver on the jack. It runs it up and down in seconds.

Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
I have the inflator. This thread made me realize its of minimal use unless I packed a tire plug kit - and/or a can of slime. and a rain jacket, and a ground sheet, and, and, and

Maybe just keep my AAA current.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
The inflator in the mobility kit has slime in the back of it that it injects on its own thru the valve stem when you connect it. Read the owner's manual on use of it. Now if its many years old the slime may be dried up and useless. I believe Ford has new slime packs to put in the back of the inflator. Still only good for a small nail or screw in tire and only meant to be driven just over 200 miles to get tire fixed or replaced. Will get you off the side of road maybe.

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I know. But I thought some once posted it would fit using a spacer?
There's a kit out there that uses a spacer but it was more than 25mm for sure. The only one to clear the Brembos (without spacer) is the one from Automotive Authority.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
There's a kit out there that uses a spacer but it was more than 25mm for sure. The only one to clear the Brembos (without spacer) is the one from Automotive Authority.
I really don't car much if a spacer is necessary in the event I would get a flat. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored