Sponsored

Damn it! I can't do it...

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I've had Mustang GTs as my year 'round daily drivers for most of the last 35 years. We get a fair amount of road salt usage here in Northwest Ohio. I had my '86 and '89 treated for rust prevention, but have gone "naked" since then. I have never had rust issues with any of my Mustangs -- visibly, or inside panels. I run them through the car wash when the roads are dry and get the "chassis bath."

My concessions to winter are winter tires and wheels and WeatherTech mats I put in in early November. I enjoy my car and don't want to give it up for 4 or 5 months a year.
Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Exactly not even counting into holding another car which takes extra space, another payment, upkeeing costs, insurance, taxes etc. The cost-benefit isn't there. So you're saving zilch. Drive it and ENJOY.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I’m loving the beater life. I feel especially privileged when I park up front at the store.
So much this, lol. I absolutely love not having to give a shit where I park when I'm driving the grocery getter. Rear ended at a light? Oh well. The lack of anxiety of driving when you don't care about keeping your car nice is very freeing.
Exactly not even counting into holding another car which takes extra space, another payment, upkeeing costs, insurance, taxes etc. The cost-benefit isn't there. So you're saving zilch. Drive it and ENJOY.
My beater is $30 a month on my policy which is trivial, and I maintain it myself for the cost of parts and consumables only. I think it's worth it for the lack of windshield/paint/body damage likely to be incurred in winter months.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Depreciation or value
I've got the space, no payments and not really about the costs or savings for me. I just like to keep it in good condition and enjoy it when I want ...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A lot of the country got our first wallop of snow last week. Along with this came lots and lots of road salt...which is the natural enemy of the northern climate gear head.

My last Mustang always had the benefit of a "winter beater" (A WRX which I also sold last year) and the 2011 GT never saw a grain of road salt. You could eat off of the undercarriage. Is that important? I can't tell you why but I always slept well knowing that it was clean as a whistle under there. When trading up for the 2020, I vowed to just drive this one, treating it as my one and only daily driver... to live for today and "use it up" and enjoy it before the rust monster could ever catch it.

Well that plan fell apart the instant it was tested. So far, I haven't been able to take the Mustang out of the garage even though most of the roads are dry (and chalky white) right now.

Thanks to the pandemic, I can do all of my work remotely and I haven't needed to drive much. When I have, my wife's Rav4 was available for the job. Sooner or later, I'm going to need/want to go somewhere and it's going to break my heart.

I've started the hunt for a cheap/reliable/expendable winter car once more...but I also don't want the three car lifestyle again (and the Mopar isn't going anywhere).

Can someone help with this quandary? How have you addressed this problem?
Pulled it out of the garage, drove it as intended and then washed, detailed it and did same thing over and over.... for years, with any Mustang I’ve owned.

If you saw my 94 Cobra, you would never know it was a daily driver in all seasons. If you can maintain the vehicle by washes and waxing, road salt isn’t an issue, ever. Road salt is ONLY an issue when you don’t rinse or wash the car and let it sit for weeks or months on end (or never rinse it off)..

Sponsored

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
Screw it. I just drove from Vail, co to Salt Lake City, Ut. Headed up to Montana. This thing is meant to drive. It’s filthy. Left my Rubicon at home.....

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Screw it. I just drove from Vail, co to Salt Lake City, Ut. Headed up to Montana. This thing is meant to drive. It’s filthy. Left my Rubicon at home.....
You're in my neck of the woods lol. Good weather these few days, but it will turn sour on Tuesday.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I can't help with your problem but maybe I can make you feel a little better. I live in Tampa, no snow, no salt can drive the car all year and not worry but I'm currently looking for a beater as well. Mostly because I'm tired of pulling the mountain bike apart and shoving it in the mustang. Plus I want something to make runs to Lowe's, Publix, etc. But also because I love my car and I want to keep it for as long as I love it. I just turned 70k miles this weekend and there is nothing I would rather drive (that I can afford) right now.

For your amusement, you should see the looks I get at Alafia state park
bike.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Beater. Mustangs suck for a winter driver anyway, there are better choices.

I forgot how convenient a beater can be, no need to keep it spotless or worry about dings. Since getting my son's '07 Jeep in September and, initially intending on fixing minor items to flip it, decided to keep it through the winter and I've been driving it to work most days, especially snow and ice days. The Mustang sits in the winter anyway, but now my new pickup can stay out of the slop too. The Jeep can go on the market in the spring....

Sponsored

kodioneill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 GT Kona Blue
You're in my neck of the woods lol. Good weather these few days, but it will turn sour on Tuesday.
Off topic here but, have you ever stopped by Kindig's place AKA Bitchin rides?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I've daily driven all sorts of performance cars in the winter, including a 95 Viper, that doesn't even have rollup side windows and external door handles. I've also had winter beaters. The winter beater is definitely my preference, mostly because you don't have to worry about it. I'm more concerned about what other drivers will do to my car in poor driving conditions than I am about salt.

Fortunately, I've reached the point in my life where I can just sit home and watch it snow. Except we don't seem to be getting much snow any more and I just bought an $1800 snow blower. :explode:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Definitely buy an AWD/FWD beater! Especially if you plan to keep the Mustang long term. That's what I did and I sleep much better at night knowing my Mustang will have a spotless undercarriage throughout my ownership.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a beater. I've got a 2011 Accord that has close to 200K on it. My car hasn't seen rain or snow since I bought it.