Sponsored

Damn it! I can't do it...

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
A lot of the country got our first wallop of snow last week. Along with this came lots and lots of road salt...which is the natural enemy of the northern climate gear head.

My last Mustang always had the benefit of a "winter beater" (A WRX which I also sold last year) and the 2011 GT never saw a grain of road salt. You could eat off of the undercarriage. Is that important? I can't tell you why but I always slept well knowing that it was clean as a whistle under there. When trading up for the 2020, I vowed to just drive this one, treating it as my one and only daily driver... to live for today and "use it up" and enjoy it before the rust monster could ever catch it.

Well that plan fell apart the instant it was tested. So far, I haven't been able to take the Mustang out of the garage even though most of the roads are dry (and chalky white) right now.

Thanks to the pandemic, I can do all of my work remotely and I haven't needed to drive much. When I have, my wife's Rav4 was available for the job. Sooner or later, I'm going to need/want to go somewhere and it's going to break my heart.

I've started the hunt for a cheap/reliable/expendable winter car once more...but I also don't want the three car lifestyle again (and the Mopar isn't going anywhere).

Can someone help with this quandary? How have you addressed this problem?
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Second that. Buy a beater.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Undercoat/rust proofing and find a touch less car wash that sprays the undercarriage.
And psychotherapy.

It's just a car, one of literally 10s 0f thousands.

If you totaled it tomorrow you could likely replace it with one virtually indistinguishable in a matter of weeks.
Our cars are special to us but not particularly special...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I got a fwd beater for the same reason. To be fair though, if you only take the Mustang out in the dry the salt won't really do anything. It's the snowstorms that are the problem.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well if it makes you feel any better I just bought a new supra and here in NC they salt the roads trees and children if anyone mentions snow from 1987. The way home from the dealer I got on interstate and immediately got sandwiched between trucks and wouldn't ya know the one in front was a salt chemical slush spreader. I got stuck behind him for 3 miles and the brand new car was covered in that slurry salt chemical crap. I got off interstate and immediately got behind a beater truck blowing oil out the back so I got a splattering of that too. So I was well christened in my first 6 mile trip. Straight to the car was with the powerful undercarriage wash. I was mad then got over it. The cars now come with 5 year corrosion warranties so... Just run it through the wash with undercarriage and youll be fine.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Same ... I got a beater and mine has never even seen the rain in 3.5 years. When I got it I was living in MN and just put it away for the winter, but now no snow to deal with thank god!

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Not worth the stress driving a mustang in shitty weather... Trust me. The cost of a beater Honda civic will be well worth the cost. Plus keep miles down (retain value) on stang. We done here...? ;).

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I like having a getting-closer-to-the-beater-category truck as a DD for a lot of reasons aside from keeping the Mustang clean...

It's a lot safer to drive on snowy / wet / icy roads, which I'm sure OP has in CT.

Some days I'm just cranky and not in the mood to shift gears or listen to the loud exhaust on the Mustang.

As other people have mentioned, it's nice to not give a shit about where I park and whether some jerk is going to door ding it. I've been in multiple fender benders where the other vehicle bent but the truck either didn't have a scratch, or I didn't care that it got a scratch. One time a little ricer rear ended me and got a perfectly square hole punched into its front bumper cover from my trailer hitch. My damage: $0.

It's big and comfortable and relaxing to drive, with all the creature comforts the Mustang doesn't have. People who have never owned a larger vehicle would be surprised at how nice it is to have some width between you and the passenger seat.

For about 1 second I considered getting a GT350 as a daily and getting rid of the truck, but opted for the GT plus truck and don't regret it for one second.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's a mustang, not a Ferrari. No one will care when you sell it or trade it that it was in pristine, garaged conditioned as it doesn't add value. I also haven't seen a car in the last decade deteriorate due to salt or brine. You have a depreciating asset so might as well get good usage out of it. Drive it and enjoy it. You can always wash it afterwards.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Less miles less wear and tear equals less depreciation... Buy the beater that has already depreciated out. lol.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the beater. Chevy trucks with the 5.3, before they put in advanced fuel management in like 2006, will run til the body falls off. Electronics sensors will all fail but who cares. Same thing with any Buick with a 3800. I got a chevy avalanche that already had the AFM turned off. Paid like $6k and I love the 14 mpg 6000lbs beast. If I sold the mustang tomorrow Id be completely content driving it every day.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RICK
Vehicle(s)
2020 MUSTANG GT PP1, 2019 F150 4X4
Meh....somethin better will come along in a few years and you will trade it off anyway. Why not terrorize the streets NOW.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Should have kept that WRX around. Also you guys worrying about keeping miles down due to depreciation you lost that when you left the Dealership. Just drive the damn car and stop worrying.
Sponsored