Damaged underbody splash shield

Amp686

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amo
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 with handling package
Hey guys hope everyone is doing great . Few days back when i was driving on highway i25 suddenly big rock came in my way and i couldn’t get chance to change lane because of other traffic. That damaged my cars underbody splash shield . Should I replace it or this damage is fine? Let me know your p

7152EEC3-E13E-40D6-98BE-73FDC5B9737D.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Check or ask around for a body shop or plastics shop, that can weld plastic. It could probably be plastic welded and patched enough to do it's intended job and would be cheaper than a whole new underbody panel. I've seen some guys who can plastic weld really well!

OP
OP

Amp686

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amo
Vehicle(s)
Check or ask around for a body shop or plastics shop, that can weld plastic. It could probably be plastic welded and patched enough to do it's intended job and would be cheaper than a whole new underbody panel. I've seen some guys who can plastic weld really well!

thank you appreciate your response . This might be helpful and cheaper too .

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The main risk IMHO is that the cracks get worse over time and you end up losing chunks of it. You could just run it for a while and try to inspect it from time to time.

The airflow isn't as clean over those damaged sections, but its hard to say you'll notice.

My car, I'd probably replace it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In the interim - go to Home Depot and pick up the black roll of Gorilla duct tape.

The Gorilla tape won't come off in various weather conditions like other duct tape. Tape over the large impact holes so while driving, the airflow isn't trying to pull the pan down through the holes... Last thing you want is that pan cracking more and coming apart at speed.

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
In the interim - go to Home Depot and pick up the black roll of Gorilla duct tape.

The Gorilla tape won't come off in various weather conditions like other duct tape. Tape over the large impact holes so while driving, the airflow isn't trying to pull the pan down through the holes... Last thing you want is that pan cracking more and coming apart at speed.
Did the same thing to a sunroof that came apart....used gorilla tape to keep it all together until it could be replaced.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Hey guys hope everyone is doing great . Few days back when i was driving on highway i25 suddenly big rock came in my way and i couldn’t get chance to change lane because of other traffic. That damaged my cars underbody splash shield . Should I replace it or this damage is fine? Let me know your p

7152EEC3-E13E-40D6-98BE-73FDC5B9737D.png
I seen worse in WW1 but I would change it. I don't like things to be broken, cracked or just not perfect as OEM or better. But that's just me. Im picky, Picky, PICKY!!

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have hit a bucket and now recently a dead deer, so my splash shield is totally trashed at this point. I have the replacement ready to install just need to do it.
Shipping it to your home will cost more than the unit itself, I'd advise going through a dealership parts dept (or Fordparts.com) to get a better price.

I can't recall the part # but there are a couple of threads on it already. It's also called a rock shield or a belly pan depending on who you ask.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I would replace it if the vehicle was mine as well . I don't think I'd want to do any plastic weld, however, I would do what was suggested about gorilla tape in the mean time just to prevent it from getting worse until you can replace it.

Sponsored

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
I also recommend going through the dealer, so the correct one is ordered based on your VIN.
I know the PP vs no PP under cover is slightly different for the GTs.

Before ordering.. take a look for missing or broken screws and clips. There's over a dozen mounting points on the stupid thing. My local dealer keeps none of this hardware in stock.

Another reason to consider replacing it would be of you use jack stands to work under the car. With low clearance, those jagged corners will snag stuff like skin and clothing as you drag the cover across yourself uninstalling and installing it.

OP
OP

Amp686

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amo
Vehicle(s)
I also recommend going through the dealer, so the correct one is ordered based on your VIN.
I know the PP vs no PP under cover is slightly different for the GTs.

Before ordering.. take a look for missing or broken screws and clips. There's over a dozen mounting points on the stupid thing. My local dealer keeps none of this hardware in stock.

Another reason to consider replacing it would be of you use jack stands to work under the car. With low clearance, those jagged corners will snag stuff like skin and clothing as you drag the cover across yourself uninstalling and installing it.

Thank you and yes I did order with dealership and he gonna replace it for me as the car already in dealership and stuck for few days because of winter storm here

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
Sorry to see the damage partner. I-25 in CO is a shit show right now. I'm down near Loveland and the highway seems to be closed every 2nd or 3rd day due to a multi-car wreck. Landmines on the road everywhere.

OP
OP

Amp686

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amo
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to see the damage partner. I-25 in CO is a shit show right now. I'm down near Loveland and the highway seems to be closed every 2nd or 3rd day due to a multi-car wreck. Landmines on the road everywhere.
so true it used to be great before but after covid it sucks
Sponsored