Daily with Headers?

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Curious, how many of you guys run long tube headers and still use your vehicle as a daily?

I've got a GT500 with an aftermarket cat back on it already.

I was looking to add a pair of Kooks green catted long tube headers and a whipple to the car in the near future, however I'm worried that the headers will make the car too loud for daily driving

So just how loud is full exhaust, with cats but no resonators?

Is it too much to get away with on the daily without being harassed by police?
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's pretty loud but if you have something with a muffler (and not a Corsa Extreme/Borla ATAK) it shouldn't be THAT loud. It won't be quiet by any means, though - especially at startup.

Also keep in mind even with the green cats my car stinks a little bit...not like no cats but it does have a smell to it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You have to get a valved exhaust system like varex for cold starts to be reasonable without cats and probably even with green cats

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
Don't have a GT500 but I run Stainless Works Long Tubes, no cats, stock resonator into a stock cat back exhaust and it'still pretty loud. Has to be the Long Tubes making the noise. Well no cats either, that's a big one but I run a Procharger with E85 so not very cat friendly.

I had an aftermarket h-pipe and basically straight piped cat back exhaust which blew the pictures off my garage walls. The Long Tube header rasp with that exhaust system on cold start pissed a lot of neighbors off. Now that I changed it mostly back to stock, we're friends again.

My car makes 800HP and there is no need to be obnoxious, it's plenty fast.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Mine is just a GT with catted long tube's and a Borla S type active exhaust. I have mine start in quiet mode every time now, it's that loud. Only open the valves when I want to hear it.

Sponsored

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Curious, how many of you guys run long tube headers and still use your vehicle as a daily?

I've got a GT500 with an aftermarket cat back on it already.

I was looking to add a pair of Kooks green catted long tube headers and a whipple to the car in the near future, however I'm worried that the headers will make the car too loud for daily driving

So just how loud is full exhaust, with cats but no resonators?

Is it too much to get away with on the daily without being harassed by police?
If you are dallying a 2021 GT500 why would you put a WHipple on it? You can make 1,000+ with stock blower. Anyways, now to get off my soap box.

Just put the stock catback back on. GT500 has valves and sill sound great with FFE. Just know, the Kooks green cats melt, too.

OP
OP
JayAction

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
If you are dallying a 2021 GT500 why would you put a WHipple on it? You can make 1,000+ with stock blower. Anyways, now to get off my soap box.

Just put the stock catback back on. GT500 has valves and sill sound great with FFE. Just know, the Kooks green cats melt, too.
I was going to go whipple because Iā€™ve seen the stock blower has heat issues when you do too much to it.

Iā€™ve also heard the whipple can run 93 safely at higher Hp than the stock blower upgraded.

The green cats melt? Are you saying this is just something they do, or are you insinuating it be the case because of the hp this set up would put me at?

Are they not higher quality than the stock cats?

is this an issue with all cats?

OP
OP
JayAction

JayAction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
It's pretty loud but if you have something with a muffler (and not a Corsa Extreme/Borla ATAK) it shouldn't be THAT loud. It won't be quiet by any means, though - especially at startup.

Also keep in mind even with the green cats my car stinks a little bit...not like no cats but it does have a smell to it.
How noticeable is the smell?

Can a black ice tree cancel it out?

Iā€™ve got Stainless Works Redline ā€¦ welp

Last edited:

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
I was going to go whipple because Iā€™ve seen the stock blower has heat issues when you do too much to it.

Iā€™ve also heard the whipple can run 93 safely at higher Hp than the stock blower upgraded.

The green cats melt? Are you saying this is just something they do, or are you insinuating it be the case because of the hp this set up would put me at?

Are they not higher quality than the stock cats?

is this an issue with all cats?
Upgraded heat exchanger with upgraded intercooler bricks should take care of any heat issues. Besides, how often are you WOT in a daily? I would highly recommend you NOT go Whipple, in your case.

Octane is octane. Even with the predator's lower compression verse the coyote/voodoo, there is a power limit on 93, regardless of the power adder. I would not put much money on that claim about more power on 93 stance "safely".

For the cats, all cats, except maybe GESI (to a point) will melt under high load with boost. GT500s are even more prone to dumping fuel and can fail cats. Best bet is to either delete cats, or pony up for expensive GESi cats.

Bottom line: GT500 trans cannot be tuned. You cannot use power at a certain level. If I were you, I would do free flowing exhaust, E85, intake, upgrade cooling and call it a day. 800whp is the sweet place on these are, in my opinion.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I don't have a GT500 but a measly GT & the sound that the Kooks puts out is very tolerable for dd. Now yours being boosted might be a bit louder, but definitely not loud enough to call the attention of the police by any means. Unless the LEO is a complete dick. I've had louder ricer cars

Sponsored

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have BBK LTH + full GT350 exhaust. Cold starts valves closed is a bit on the medium side of loudness but quiets down fast. Valves open - cold start is very very loud.

But for daily driving valves closed is pretty quiet.
Valves open daily driving is loud. Very loud! I drive with valves open in the city and highways, but valves closed in the neighborhood. Cops donā€™t touch me. WA doesnā€™t have an exhaust law.

This is valves closed

This is valves opened

Last edited:

Sundyrse59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Convertible EcoBoost Premium
Just for comparison. I have a '65 hi po 289cid. It has a set of old school hookers, and a pair of šŸ’ bombs that drop just behind the front seat. Inside, the drown is so loud, I wear earplugs. Outside it sounds sweet šŸ˜‹. I no longer use it as a Daily because of it. Change the sound, NO WAY IN HELL.
I only do shows and parades with it. As long as you can enjoy your RIDE, it will not be to loud. And to think 45 years ago, I enjoyed the drown without earplugs, as my Daily.

SloppyTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 Race Red
I daily mine as long as the sun is out.

Jose1962

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2015
I don't have a GT500 but a measly GT & the sound that the Kooks puts out is very tolerable for dd. Now yours being boosted might be a bit louder, but definitely not loud enough to call the attention of the police by any means. Unless the LEO is a complete dick. I've had louder ricer cars
Agree Iā€™m at 830whp boosted e 85 headers green cars borla s type I added vibrant resonator after x pipe only the quiet mode is not loud normal on up is loud and loud once you step into all modes 2020 gt