wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
To each their own, but good luck. Make sure to buy and extra splitter and set of wheels to drive around with. While you're putting those on, ask what's left that makes it an R besides red badging and calipers. Not much.
…or just drive it like it sits and enjoy the ride, that’s what I do 😎
Sponsored

OP
OP
Whopperman

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Viper GT, 2019 GT350R
While I personally wouldn't rather have a Mach 1, I do think it's a better daily. My GT350 is currently my only car, so I have no choice but to daily it through the St. Louis winter, and I'm trying to do it as smart as possible (the irony isn't lost on me). Oil consumption is just something you have to live with as a GT350 owner. I'm talking about oil management to avoid a blown engine. I wait for my oil to get to 100* before going anywhere (which is about when low idle starts) and I don't take it above 3500 RPM until its over 140*, then don't take it past 6k until its 190*. I'm pretty diligent about it and can live with it, but it's certainly not ideal for a daily. The Mach 1 also has auto-rev matching, which would be nice if heel-toe downshifting wasn't so much fun. I know it's not for everyone though.

As far as wheels/tires go, I HIGHLY recommend a set of all seasons, if not a set of winter tires too (assuming the R's CF wheels are on Cup2s). Tramlining can be a real bitch on the street, and Summer tires in the cold/wet have given me a few pants-shitting moments. Wheels in the correct size can be hard to find since the offset is different than most Mustangs and they have to clear the larger calipers, which is why I suggested a set of stock, base GT350 wheels. However, LMR also makes a (relatively) cheap set of 350R replicas called the SVE R350 which might be looking into, though I don't have any experience with them. This thread might be helpful https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/my-street-driven-tire-wheel-change-on-my-gt350.139769/
I'm pretty similar with the mustang I just sold, I have about 15 minutes before I get to the highway so by then the engine is all warmed up and I'm all set to go, the car was super loud so I never gunned it before I got by the highway so people wouldn't call the cops and ruin my spirited driving at low rpm. I ran all seasons and ended up replacing them every year due to leaning on them to much :) I think this time I may rock All seasons for 1 set and next year get another set for PS4s since I already have Sport Cup 2s on my other car (Which isn't bad in the rain). I'm currently looking into the Project 6GR Seven Gloss Black Finish R-Spec for a "cheap" set and maybe some day the forged red carbon ones, but I'm already reluctant to spend 2k on rims so I probably will never get the red carbon rims

OP
OP
Whopperman

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I think it'd be worth it to void one of the warrenties by slapping about 50 stickers on it and destroy every car.. I figure without the law of diminishing returns you'd be around 3000+ HP running a sub 2 minute Ring time.. yes I did the math (meth same thing) and it checks out

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think it'd be worth it to void one of the warrenties by slapping about 50 stickers on it and destroy every car.. I figure without the law of diminishing returns you'd be around 3000+ HP running a sub 2 minute Ring time.. yes I did the math (meth same thing) and it checks out
That's obscene

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Very nice, especially that Triple Yellow R. Year? Base/Electronics?
It was a 17 electronics. I wound up trading it in for a 20 CFTP. Still have the base R and the AG electronics

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
I understand and appreciate the appeal of the R for every reason listed by both yourself and others in the thread, it's an incredible car. One quick question, have you driven either a 350 or a 350R yet? If not, start there and get a feel for it, especially for daily use. The power delivery and character of the Voodoo is very different from either of the cars you currently own, make sure you enjoy that aspect of it first and foremost.

As others have said, within the constraints you've posted, I think you are going to be really hard pressed to find an R at that price at this point in time. You have the Viper in the other spot in the garage, and this would be taking over as a daily driver... how many miles a year are you putting on the daily car? If you got an R would you now have two cars that you could potentially be too precious about? If you are looking at changing out wheels/tires, worrying about the splitter clearance, etc to make it more "daily-able" than you are already losing part of what makes the R so special from a driving experience standpoint IMO, particularly the wheels and how that lower rotating mass impacts the feel and handling of the car.

In day to day duty street use and spirited backroad driving, I think you would be truly hard pressed to appreciate the difference between a 350 and a 350R. 350 gives you the same engine, same outstanding transmission, same ridiculous soundtrack, magnaride shocks, Torsen limited slip diff, etc. You gain a backseat (not sure if that's something that's important for this case or not), slightly improved clearance w/ a smaller splitter, etc. You may find you actually enjoy driving the car instead of worrying about what might get damaged or go wrong.

Another thing to consider is that you can still find 350s in the price range/mileage you're looking for: https://www.sweetcars.com/detail/?id=12743

Just my $0.02 but be honest with yourself in how you are going to use the car, you may find the 350 checks all the boxes and is available at a number that works for you. BUT, at the end of the day, if the R is what you HAVE to have, then hold off and save so that you can make that work.

OP
OP
Whopperman

Whopperman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I understand and appreciate the appeal of the R for every reason listed by both yourself and others in the thread, it's an incredible car. One quick question, have you driven either a 350 or a 350R yet? If not, start there and get a feel for it, especially for daily use. The power delivery and character of the Voodoo is very different from either of the cars you currently own, make sure you enjoy that aspect of it first and foremost.

As others have said, within the constraints you've posted, I think you are going to be really hard pressed to find an R at that price at this point in time. You have the Viper in the other spot in the garage, and this would be taking over as a daily driver... how many miles a year are you putting on the daily car? If you got an R would you now have two cars that you could potentially be too precious about? If you are looking at changing out wheels/tires, worrying about the splitter clearance, etc to make it more "daily-able" than you are already losing part of what makes the R so special from a driving experience standpoint IMO, particularly the wheels and how that lower rotating mass impacts the feel and handling of the car.

In day to day duty street use and spirited backroad driving, I think you would be truly hard pressed to appreciate the difference between a 350 and a 350R. 350 gives you the same engine, same outstanding transmission, same ridiculous soundtrack, magnaride shocks, Torsen limited slip diff, etc. You gain a backseat (not sure if that's something that's important for this case or not), slightly improved clearance w/ a smaller splitter, etc. You may find you actually enjoy driving the car instead of worrying about what might get damaged or go wrong.

Another thing to consider is that you can still find 350s in the price range/mileage you're looking for: https://www.sweetcars.com/detail/?id=12743

Just my $0.02 but be honest with yourself in how you are going to use the car, you may find the 350 checks all the boxes and is available at a number that works for you. BUT, at the end of the day, if the R is what you HAVE to have, then hold off and save so that you can make that work.
I'm weird about cars when it comes to them being perfect, to me I'm not really going to care to much if I get a door ding, rock chip, or bottoming out (most of the time). I still park as far away as possible and try to avoid any incidents, but some stupidity always finds a way sadly. I drove a 19 350 base and I was ear to ear smiling just driving in traffic light to traffic light and finally got to gun it and WOW that power band is something else some people say theres no power until 3k, but to me nobody was home until just under ~5k, but them my head went onto the headrest and realized I wasn't even past 7.5k rpms. I gave it full beans and felt like it was enough to give me a reason not to drive the Viper all the time and split it about 75% 350(R?) and 25% Viper. In the summer when I know the roads are all patched up I may be swapping the Carbon Fiber rims back on, but definitely won't for winter since the roads are terrible now by me. I drive about 23k miles a year and want to put 3-7k miles on the viper and not daily it like I was doing before salt came out so the R helps. This is basically a long way about saying that to me the pedestal that the R comes on isn't something I'm going to necessarily aim for since it'll be in the trenches and with all the goodies it comes with out the gate I don't see myself doing anything to it besides exhaust switch, rims and a wrap in the next 6 years since it already has muffler delete :) My other option was a Z06, but nobody I've know has made any camaro/corvette last over a few years with no problems so I'm discouraged against that.. and the fact that there everywhere by me and I know about 9 people with them

Jeffwels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage, 2016 BMW X5M
Daily a gt350 in New York 20 minutes away from NYC? Do you have something else for the winter?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Get a Mach 1 - word is they are faster than a GT350R. :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Half-serious: here's an R you might get a deal on, if you don't care about Salvage title 🤷‍♂️ (or want a parts car)

The Parts Farm IG
0ADDC173-6BE7-4F9B-893A-2D2296D50610.jpeg
Hope someone fixes that. I'm sending the link to a friend who rebuilds salvage muscle/sports cars.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I used to a lot of cars like that when I had a bodyshop. Always did clean title builders, but I’d buy that in a heartbeat if the price was decent.

Half-serious: here's an R you might get a deal on, if you don't care about Salvage title 🤷‍♂️ (or want a parts car)

The Parts Farm IG
0ADDC173-6BE7-4F9B-893A-2D2296D50610.jpeg
Hope someone fixes that. I'm sending the link to a friend who rebuilds salvage muscle/sports cars.
Sponsored