Cup holders and handbrake - RHD

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
More to those damn cup holders than you think. First post here so I hope I do it OK. While waiting for my ruby red (yes I'm old) mustang, nursing a broken leg, I read the user manual. There is a secret compartment beneath the cup (coin) holders. The manual start slot, where you put the proximity key if your car won't start normally. So what ever you do, don't delete the cup holders. LOL. Probably adds to the cost of Ford changing the cup holders to the other side.
Sponsored

HybridGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT "Ecoboost"
More to those damn cup holders than you think. First post here so I hope I do it OK. While waiting for my ruby red (yes I'm old) mustang, nursing a broken leg, I read the user manual. There is a secret compartment beneath the cup (coin) holders. The manual start slot, where you put the proximity key if your car won't start normally. So what ever you do, don't delete the cup holders. LOL. Probably adds to the cost of Ford changing the cup holders to the other side.
Haha duly noted and good tip.

Welcome to Mustang6G :cheers:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I believe this is also where you place your fob to program it to the MYKEY functions. Although I would purchase a completely different fob to use for Mykey, and keep your 2 OEM ones as admins.

Utedog7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
Just got back from having had a mustang in the US for 2 weeks, review to come, but I did take some pics of the cup holders while seated in the right and I found that while resting my arm on the console lid the cup holders were forward enough so they don't get in the way, and while driving (on the left) the steering wheel is so far away from the centre console and cup holders that the position of them won't get in the way. I also found it was really hard to rest my elbows anywhere whilst driving. I am used to resting the right elbow on the window cill or door while holding the steering wheel, but with the position of the door/steering wheel I couldn't do this. I had to take my hand off the wheel completely to rest it anywhere. I also found while driving in the left side the handbrake was still in an awkward place to pull up, because it too was quite forward. I think the RHD will be good with the handbrake left where it is.
IMG_0628.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg

Race Red GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Racered
Hi Utedog7, Thanks for update on console,how was the auto?Did you like sports mode?Throttle blip on downshifting etc? Would like to hear of your impressions when you get a chance,thanks.

Sponsored

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Some good info there

Mudnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW MINI & Land Rover Defender
Thanks for the photo's. I was planning on getting some photo's of the driving position sitting in the Right seat when I go over to the States in January. Any issues with the manual shifter. Is it midline, or more towards the left of the centre column. Will certainly have a look next month when they have one up at the dealership in Cairns.

Cheers,

Ken

Mudnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW MINI & Land Rover Defender
I don't know if I should be offended as I ordered a Ruby Red mustang, and I don't think 52 is old!! :D

There is a good video on the MGW Shifter home page. It shows how to remove the centre console, and the electrics that plug into the bottom. Should not be too difficult to reverse engineer one that moves the cup holders to the other side.

If anyone has a 3D printer, might be a good side business. Would be nice to cover it in leather.

Mhttps://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/103

That is the home page, and look at the beginning of the Shifter install video for easy removal.

Cheers,

Ken

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Here's a link from the Europe Section about "premium" and non-premium" interiors.

http://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=467

I sat in the KPM Mustang the other night and it was non-premium but to be honest it didn't look too bad, the interior was pretty cosy really and quality (fit & finish) seemed pretty good to me.

I'm sort of glad the handbrake will stay where it is as it seemed to be a bit close to my side.

Utedog7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux
Here's a link from the Europe Section about "premium" and non-premium" interiors.

http://mustang6.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=467

I sat in the KPM Mustang the other night and it was non-premium but to be honest it didn't look too bad, the interior was pretty cosy really and quality (fit & finish) seemed pretty good to me.

I'm sort of glad the handbrake will stay where it is as it seemed to be a bit close to my side.
Eins Kinda Donta SPeakaz Ze German!!! But I do agree with you on the handbrake. Perhaps you have a link written in english?

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Funny thread this, I have owned and still do own several right hand drive cars in Germany, which can be a pain, But i happily live with it because I love the cars.

I'm thinking that if cup holders and parking brakes matter so much to you that you question your purchase, you may be buying the wrong car.

The Mustang is one of the cheapest, powerful sports cars available, it basically smashes anything at this price point. there will be compromised to achive the low price point.

For those who still think handbrakes and cup holders are still a non starter, i'm sure there is a Mercedes or Lexus dealer in your vicinity more than willing to relive you of much more money for much more luxury and much less performance.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny thread this, I have owned and still do own several right hand drive cars in Germany, which can be a pain, But i happily live with it because I love the cars.

I'm thinking that if cup holders and parking brakes matter so much to you that you question your purchase, you may be buying the wrong car.

The Mustang is one of the cheapest, powerful sports cars available, it basically smashes anything at this price point. there will be compromised to achive the low price point.

For those who still think handbrakes and cup holders are still a non starter, i'm sure there is a Mercedes or Lexus dealer in your vicinity more than willing to relive you of much more money for much more luxury and much less performance.

I can't see how a comment on a handbrake means the purchase is being questioned.

If you read through other threads in this section I think you'll find the majority of us have not wavered in the decision to purchase a Mustang; we're doing it, as you say, for the love of the car.

Utedog7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux

Actually what you are doing is misinterpreting us. We have said we accept the handbrake model the way it is, by saying we don't care what side the handbrake is on is us saying we love the car no matter what. Maybe it's lost in translation but you must be a Numpty to not realise that!!!

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Where have you seen this? Supposed to confirm my order within a week yet I still haven't seen a RHD UK car.

The dealers over here don't know anything. If this is true and along with those pictures of the crappy panel alignment on the cars newly arrived in Munich, I'm starting to lose interest.
I hope this is a joke... I am really annoyed. Wtf is with that ford?? Global car my ass
I ordered a mustang for the love of the car. The price was kind of less important. I just can't believe ford would do something that silly. People will actually not buy the car for this reason alone. If you are going to go to the expense of creating a global car in left and right hand drive then why do a 95% job
I hope this isnt true and fordaus have just made a mistake but if it is ill more the likely cancel and just get the 300 srt when it releases, i could handle the other changes but not a half arsed interior
if this is true - it is very disappointing.

It may also be a safety issue ie the driver may not be able to control the car in emergency situation if the handbrake is on the passenger side of the console.

I have just got up on the Ford Aust FB page and messaged them expressing my disappointment and concern that the center console may not be changed for the RHD version.

I would suggest that we get as many people in the RHD counties to message Ford to see if people power can make a different.
If enough people tell them - then you never know - they may just change it.
its better to do it now before they start building them.
Agree. I can't see ford doing something this stupid tbh.
Good point. But why convert a car, move the whole steering assembly and not move the damn hand brake! Just seems idiotic. Oh well probably a troll post to annoy ppl like me :)

But yes if the don't move it I will be seriously reconsidering my order and I expect I won't be alone. I can put up with the drl the stupid fake fuel cap, lack of options, reduced pp but the hand brake might be a deal breaker
Relax. I was being silly. I meant that i am easily annoyed by more things that ford are not doing for the aus market.

I agree that it will probably do it and after your post i have also sent of a fb message to ford aus.

Its actually a terrible oversight which i am sure will actually cost them in sales. People dont want to spend 60k and get a car with a handbrake that requires feeling up your passenger to operate (fine if its the mrs but not fine if its your best mate or mother in law.
I guess I'm a 'numpty' then

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^^ I think we've all moved on from this; it is normal to express disappointment when things are not quite as expected. Here in Oz we still don't know the final specs of the RHD models and we most likely will not be getting options/accessories to choose from like Europe/UK.

So far I only know of one person who cancelled and that was mainly because of a blowout in the delivery date - another unknown quantity over here at the moment.
Sponsored